Tyre Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Wear

I've just changed all four of my 235/35/19's prior to my MOT today.

Looking at the receipts I managed to squeeze 20K miles out of my Kumho's.

I tend to run my tyres @ 40psi all round.

I have a RS2 FARB and Whiteline RARB.

They have been rotated several times - the most significant wear was on the inside shoulder of the fronts.

Does this sound normal in terms of wear mileage?

00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
    08 RRS TDV6 HSE
    03 Kawasaki B2 ZX12R 1287cc

J, mate, with the way you go round roundabouts i think that's bloody impressive mileage!!

IMO 20K doesn't sound too bad, although its interesting you've rotated them a fair bit to increase life - were they getting much more wear when on the front?

Hope all's well otherwise,

Tim

Comment

Hi mate,
      Sounds to me you're not driving nearly hard enough.....!
      Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
      S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
      '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

I usually get about 12k miles front and back!

You must be driving Miss Daisy! (Mine is a toy though and does no communting)

Cheers,

Steve
        The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I think 20k is indicitive of those tyres being no way near soft enough to give you decent handling and braking in a performance car!
          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

I guess 5k from my last set of tyres is not that good then.....

Serves me right for putting on Yoko's AVS Sport.

Daily commute : 20 miles of fun "B" roads and its nice to have fun.:mischeif:
            1988 ur - weekend toy...
            1994 S2 avant - weekday toy... gone... in many pieces...

MK7 Golf GTI

Comment

Ive got kumho's and they dont seem to wear down at all.
              ABY Coupe
              sigpic

Comment

I used to get about 5k out of Yoko A520s on my old 80Sport...
                Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

I feel well pleased then!

As the centre's of the tyres still had tread, I wondered if 40psi was still leaving them under-inflated....

Flossy,

Howzat S4 then?

The wear was greater on the fronts, which kind of makes sense to me.

I swapped them around with the rears a couple of times.

By the time I changed them all, they were all illegal I reckon. Using a tyre tread guage is a pretty subjective exercise.

I'm saving for an RS6! The Missus has convinced me I need one!

00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
                  08 RRS TDV6 HSE

Comment

6k from last set of toyo T1-S, the new T1-R is fairing better but eh, not much
                    Guess the message is soft tyres last less time, or something
                    Ragusa Coupe gone!
                    sigpic
                    VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
                    VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
                    vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

You're a Cardiff person I see too! Have never seen an S2/RS2 (or whatever you call what you've got) around Cardiff!
                      Got insured fully comp on my S2 today, so be sure to wave when u see a Green Nreg coupe about!
                      With regards to your tyres, 20k is awesome! My Dad and I have Eagle F1s on my clio (sold today) and his E430 estate and Ive done about 10-12k (All sideways around round-a-bouts) in them and he has done 18-20k (ALL motorway) before they've died. Would be interested to know how you've made them last so long with apparent 'enthusiastic' driving!

Also, would like to meet up sometime, also with Flossy!

Cheers

_phil
                      ...ever since I floored you I knew that I loved you!

Comment

Originally posted by SR71
                        I feel well pleased then!

Flossy,

Howzat S4 then?

I'm saving for an RS6! The Missus has convinced me I need one!

Hi J, yes I'm still enjoying the S4.... although wouldn't mind a bit more go . I think i'll see out the first year of ownership and then knock myself out either with a remap or an upgrade to B5 RS4 or RS6 as well. The S4 makes me grin, the RS4s and RS6s I've been in make me laugh out loud Should definitely meet up some time soon. Are you on strike at the mo' mate??

@Phil, you don't go up to the Trelewis area e.g. to the WICC climbing wall do you? I saw a green (i think) S2 on the road up there last week and I also saw one in Forest of Deam last weekend when I was MTBing there..... and I guess from your pic that you like some of that Man on Alp action too

Tim

Comment

Nope fraid not, car's not really been outiside cardiff much yet, well not by me!
                          ...ever since I floored you I knew that I loved you!

Comment

I feel a Cardiff meet coming on.

Just off to France for the week so we can arrange on our return.

S2_PTH,

There aren't many of us around in Cardiff as Flossy will concur.

Bibby used to have a green MTM'ed S2 Avant (the kind that BRY likes) but he's ******ed off north now....at 117mph.

Mine is grey with 19" RS6 rims and red Boxster S calipers.

Its always down David Lloyd way although I live out by the airport.
                            00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
                            08 RRS TDV6 HSE

Comment

Out of interest, how much did u pay for the tyres as last time i looked it worked out that if you sold the wheels before the tyres were dead for around £250 you could break even on a brand new set of wheels and tyres, selling for anything more would mean its saving you cash getting brand new.
                              Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                              2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Working...
                              X