Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only took 9 years to realize I was riding on a very rare set of Cup 1's.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Only took 9 years to realize I was riding on a very rare set of Cup 1's.

    I bought my RS2 9 years ago this year. It came from Japan with a set of Cup 1 wheels. After a year or so I upgraded to a set of 18" Work Brombacher's and the Cups spent most of the time on a tire rack in the garage. Every few years I'd run them when I felt like something different. I knew the stock Cup 1's were 17x7 but mine had 17x7.5 stamped on them. They also had "made by SM" on the face along with the word "Magnesium". I assumed they were replicas. I remember searching for SM wheels but never found much information.

    Well fast forward 9 years and I had a notion to find out what the difference between magnesium and aluminum wheels were and it led me to discover I'm running a set of very rare Porsche 964 RS Cup 1's! I just confirmed the part numbers.

    Anyone have an opinion on what I should be doing with these? Wrapping them in bubble wrap and storing them in the closet? I hate the idea of damaging them given their value and fragility.


  • #2
    You have two pairs fronts actually ! Expect at least 1500-2000 $ for each wheel if they are in good condition...
    Rennlist and Pelican are you best places to sell them...
    Jim Hunter
    ------------
    1972 911S (sold)
    1987 930 RUF BTR (sold)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jim Hunter View Post
      You have two pairs fronts actually ! Expect at least 1500-2000 $ for each wheel if they are in good condition...
      Rennlist and Pelican are you best places to sell them...
      Yes, I realize they are both front sets since the 911's are staggered. I can't believe I thought they were replicas. I think I'll just set them aside since they are in great shape still.

      Comment


      • #4
        Use them on the RS2, they should transform the handling due to their low weight.
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

        Comment


        • #5
          What are the part numbers?
          1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
          2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
          2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 4WDrifter View Post
            What are the part numbers?
            Part Numbers for all four are 365 362 124.15. I checked my spare and it is the stock 17 x 7 Cup 1 that would have came with the car.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Canadian RS2; 12th June 2018, 14:03.

            Comment


            • #7
              I thought the CB is different on RS2 so did they have centering rings or were they machined to fit. Don't remember if 911 is larger or smaller.
              www.quattro.ca
              B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
              B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ralleyquattro View Post
                I thought the CB is different on RS2 so did they have centering rings or were they machined to fit. Don't remember if 911 is larger or smaller.
                911 is about 1.5mm smaller so these would have been machined to 73.1 from 71.6.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'd use them on the car and enjoy. Will probably be the best handling / ridding RS2 anywhere. Magnesium = Mmmmmmmm
                  96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                  96 URS6 plus speck estate
                  94 2.6 80 Avant
                  99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well unless your roads are billiard table smooth I would shelve them. Mag is prone to cracking and the RS2 front axle weight is at least 2x their design load.
                    Or sell them to a Porsche nutter and retire. You can make up your own price on these, since the cars are worth ludicrous sums of money these days. Just my 2c
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ebay £10K or offers

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                        Well unless your roads are billiard table smooth I would shelve them. Mag is prone to cracking and the RS2 front axle weight is at least 2x their design load.
                        Or sell them to a Porsche nutter and retire. You can make up your own price on these, since the cars are worth ludicrous sums of money these days. Just my 2c
                        Well I live in Calgary where we have harsh winters and the roads suffer from pot holes and frost heaves so they are far from ideal. I'm leaning towards shelving them or possibly putting them up for sale. Any RS2 nuts out there that may be interested, just PM me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Canadian RS2 View Post

                          911 is about 1.5mm smaller so these would have been machined to 73.1 from 71.6.
                          If your Work Brombachers are for a Porsche fitment it might mean that the hubs fitted to your RS2 have been turned down. I know that this can be done as the RS2 hub carriers I have stashed away fit my Porsche Turbo Twist perfectly.
                          "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by A1QSHIP View Post

                            If your Work Brombachers are for a Porsche fitment it might mean that the hubs fitted to your RS2 have been turned down. I know that this can be done as the RS2 hub carriers I have stashed away fit my Porsche Turbo Twist perfectly.
                            I had the Brombacher's custom made for the RS2 so Work bored them to fit the RS2 right from the start.

                            I measured the bore on the Cup 1's and they are definitely 73mm so they must have been machined at some point.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X