Different sizes front and rear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different sizes front and rear?

I've always regarded this as a no no on a quattro, but I find I'm running on 225 45 17fronts and 235 40 17 rears - so even taking the maths into account, the rolling diameters are different.
    It seems the wheel / tyre combination has been like this for quite some time, and it certainly hasn't been an issue during either servicing or MoT inspection.
    I believe that the wheels are Mille Miglia Cup reps - not that that should make any difference.
    Any thoughts?

the difference isnt huge. Lee who use to be on here was running alot wider tyres on the front that the rear but the overal diameter near enough matched
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

From the link Greg showed us last year.

Picture 1.jpg
      AudiManDan

Comment

I've always considered running about half-inch wider rear wheels than fronts, in keeping with my old euro-look days, but I know it might adversely affect the AWD. Has anyone else ever done this?

Comment

Originally posted by filofilsem View Post
          I've always considered running about half-inch wider rear wheels than fronts, in keeping with my old euro-look days, but I know it might adversely affect the AWD. Has anyone else ever done this?

As long as rolling diameter similar between near and off / front and back you will be OK. MTM used a wider front wheel on the RSR (RS2) coupe to reduce understeer. Not sure what the advantage would be the other way round
          Alastair
          RS2

Comment

No advantage, just for looks. Euro look is massive in the Golf scene. Not seen any S2s with the Euro look but there are a few 80s that have been given the Euro make-over!
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
              No advantage, just for looks. Euro look is massive in the Golf scene. Not seen any S2s with the Euro look but there are a few 80s that have been given the Euro make-over!
              To be honest I think that is the worse look I have ever seen (the wheels, not the look itself). I see Golfs and Corrado's with rear wheels sticking out and front wheel falling within the arches, looks terrible... And in most cases the rears are deeper dished, which looks like the rear wheels are actually smaller in diameter...

I can only see the point in filling the arches "equal" front and rear. Which in the case of the S2 would mean a small spacer (to equal wheel size allround) or slightly wider at the rear (which I only recommend for RWD or mid engined cars).

Or fitting MTM front panels (which in my case with AP brakes that have increased track width a bit would mean "equal" look). Or different offsets front and rear...

Comment

Working...
              X