Damaged locking wheel nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged locking wheel nut

One of mine has seized and 2 of the 3 locating peg holes have rounded.

I've split and removed the outer ring that spins and tried a 17 mm reverse threading socket to remove it, the trouble is when it starts to bite the freshly cut threads shear and destroy themselves .

I found this tool which I think may do the trick but I can't find a source in the UK. Any idea where I can get one?

Can somone with experience of removing genuine Audi locking wheel nuts with damage pin holes or missing key please help with details on how to tackle this please?
    Privating Messaging may be best in the interests of security .

Thanks,
    Rob.

BTDT weld another nut on and crank it off
    Chef

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have access to welding equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
        Unfortunately, I don't have access to welding equipment
        Any garage thats half handy will do it for you, the only problem i had was the bolt mount on the wheel was a deep bore jobby so we had to tack bit by bit.
        This was all because some guy from a trye center lost my locking wheel nut
        Chef

Comment

i used one of those socket jobbies (borrowed from a guy at Halford of all places) and it managed to get my knackered sump plug off and NOTHING else came close to gripping it. Only thing is there not sold in the uk...US only
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Hi mate

halfords or the like sell those

or pic off ebay

my too sents

cheers
            john

Comment

Try this one

On the bay, might work, but not sure what the inside of the sicket is like.....
              Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
              S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
              '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post
                Try this one

On the bay, might work, but not sure what the inside of the sicket is like.....
                This is exactly the set I bought today with no success, they don't have the helical thread pattern, they are just like a die with a reverse thread.

Thanks all the same .

Comment

i have removed them by hammering a 16mm impact socket on to the rounded bolt,then cranking it off

Comment

No idea if this will help, but this is what I did:

I lost my key and therefore had to figure a way to get them off without it. I had my car ripped apart, so couldn't take it anywhere. I ended up very very very carefully and slowly drilling a hole for an "easy-out" (reverse thread screw that you hammer in a hole and back it out with vice grips or whatever). Then I torqued the other 4 bolts down...you might be skeptical of that, but that was the key to my success. I tried and tried, and after I torqued the other bolts down a bit I broke torque on the lock quite easily. It obviously tightens the wheel on the hub just a hair more and releases a bit of pressure on the 5th bolt.

Anyway....that's what I did......
                    Painfully said goodbye to my baby....

2001 A4
                    Silver with black leather, Symphony, sport package, S4 bumper and wheels

Comment

Got it! I used a 16mm deep serrated socket attached to a short extension, placed the socket on the offending lug nut and beat the crap out the extension with a lump hammer and off it came. Quite easy really.

Thanks to all who replied publicly and privately. I can now continue with my running gear maintenance.

Comment

Nice one... where there's a will, there's a way...!
                        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Like it always subscribe to the if in doubt give it a clout theory If you hit anything enough it usually yields to your will, in a mechanical sense obviously i am not a violent man
                          Ragusa Coupe gone!
                          sigpic
                          VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
                          VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
                          vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Glad it worked

Comment

I'm now a fully subscribed convert to the "if in doubt give it a clout" philosophy

Just one more question remains, I can't free the socket from the stubborn locking nut.
                              What can I do to rid myself of this little pest so that my socket can do battle once more (I hope not) should the need arise?
                              I was thinking of placing the socket in a vice and then inserting a steel rod into at then bashing the rod to force the locking nut out the end.

Thanks,
                              Rob.

Comment

Working...
                              X