Spacer thickness ,,, max ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacer thickness ,,, max ?

Hi guys what is maximum thickness to use for a spacer on the audi s2 so you can feel safe ?
    I think the horsepowers make difference ... or not ? Car about 500-700hp maybe ?

Best regards

Wheel spacer...or....?

Comment

sorry .. yes wheel spacer

Comment

some of them are 20-25mm thick (H&R, ABT) but they are like an adapter type.
        You bolt it to the hub, and an other set of bolt goes in to the adapter.
        sigpic

Comment

For whatever reason, this thread appears to have fallen off the new and daily front pages, and I don't think it should have without some discussion. I only found it again by searching under the author's recent activity.

This is certainly a valid question that should be properly answered, and I don't have much time right now except to say zero spacers would be best. Perhaps some others will pipe in?

Cheers.

Comment

I think if you have spacers , lets say 25-30mm , but spacers that you bolt to the wheel and then bolt the wheel to the spacer , that should be much better. Because the you will not have put too long bolts. The longer the more easier to bend them maybe ??? Just thinking.

Comment

To be honest, from a wheel bearing perspective, it doesn't matter how big, more important is the resultant offset of the wheel and spacer package -with the wheel further out, it will load things a lot more.

Comment

Spacers are not needed. It is not a problem at all to find rims with proper parameters for S2.

Comment

Thats is not the problem

Comment

Briefly, the main problem with wheel spacers is they are too easily available to those who don't realize how quickly they can alter the vehicle's original design characteristics which provide needed stability, particularly in emergency situations, that the casual user would never want to purposefully test, even if they knew how.

Particularly on the front end, the correct original wheel offset is key to being able to keep the car on the road in uneven traction conditions while braking and cornering. Even the smallest additions to front track via spacers (or incorrectly offset wheels) begins the short journey from the stock settings which provide self-centering steering with meaningful feed-back at reasonable levels of steering torque, towards being made vulnerable, with less than perfect road conditions for example, to uncontrollable snap vehicle yaw and irresistible steering torque; which will result in spinning the car.

To further make the point, in between the above two conditions lies the mechanical situation where the steering is completely numb and effortless, and in the middle of a corner, the driver, other than by visual cues, has no idea which way the front wheels are pointing.

Comment

Working...
                    X