Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you spray paint straight to brand new Alloys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you spray paint straight to brand new Alloys?

Hey guys, I'm getting brand new wheels for my golf, but they arent in the colour I desire, So I am going to spray paint them myself (paints already purchased as I was going to buy 2nd hand initially).

Do I need to sand the brand new wheels down a little before adding the paint? Or since they are brand new and have paint on them and are smooth, can I just simply spray paint onto them with the new base coat?

They come in white so will enhance the new base colour.

I'd be for rubbing them down with a scotch-pad, applying primer before painting and then a coat of lacquer.

Wheels get caked in all sorts of crap and so are often subject to being cleaned with powerful chemicals, so how they look 6 months after painting will depend on how much time you put into the prep and painting!

I did bike wheels and as well as the above I put them in the (kitchen) oven to help the paint cure, the end result was good but took ages to be honest.

I'm sure you'd get some youtube info as well?!

Comment

Definitely give them a proper rubbing down or your new paint will come off in sheets very quickly.

2k clear after basecoat is ideal as is a hard protecting layer.

Paint is all in the prep.

Comment

Hey thank you so much guys!

Comment

I'm a painter by trade, you absolute have to clean them with a dish washer detergent like dreft a few times first.
          After this you can rub them down with p800 or 1000 and water, just sand until they are completly dull with no shiny spots no need to sand more then this.
          Apply color and clearcote and let dry at least a week before you put tire's on.

Comment

What paint did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by nick View Post
              I'm a painter by trade, you absolute have to clean them with a dish washer detergent like dreft a few times first.
              After this you can rub them down with p800 or 1000 and water, just sand until they are completly dull with no shiny spots no need to sand more then this.
              Apply color and clearcote and let dry at least a week before you put tire's on.
              massive thank you!! will do!!! Ordered some wheels from 2Forge and they have limited colours and im making them Candy blue!!!

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                What paint did you buy?
                Base coat
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254503386119
                Candy blue

Primer: (if used even as the wheels in white and from this advice ill just go straight to basecoat)
                U-Pol primers both etch and normal primer,

E-Tech paint lacquer:
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124057308161

Comment

As you've seen so far; don't bother with primer and especially not etch primer - its designed to etch onto bare metal and if you see any of that, you have rubbed too far!

(or your wheels dont have much paint on to start with)

​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                  X