Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres for race track?

Hi, Guys!
    What tyres do You use for your cars for race track? I have Audi 90 B3Q and i want to buy some slicks, but i don't have any expirience with this. Which tread and mixture are good for our cars?

Can't advise on full slicks but I've tried many of the road legal track tires and out of all of them I really rate Toyo R1R's, I have them on my RS2. Their good in the wet as well as the dry so perfect for a road car. Federal also make a really good track day tire and not too expensive.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Thank You for advice!
      Yesterday I bought Pirelli RS5 hard mixture. I'll test them and I'll share my impression.

Comment

No problem, please do give us some feedback regarding the RS5's, I've not tried them yet.

As I've said Toyo R1R's are my preference out of all the ones I've used so far, their brilliant in the dry and great in the wet so are ideal for a road car.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Hi, guys
          Well, i have already driven 2 times on the track with these tires and i can say that with air temperature of 37 degree celsius and asphalt temperature of 50 degree celsius, the grip was perfect for about 2-3 laps, then the tires start to overheat.

I can say that they perform excellently considering the high temperatures.
          Also, as we know, the front of our cars is quite heavy, which helps to heat up the front tires

Previous years I drove with toyo r888, under similar conditions they overheated at the end of the first lap.

And so, that's all I can share for now.

Comment

Originally posted by vladi View Post
            Hi, guys
            Well, i have already driven 2 times on the track with these tires and i can say that with air temperature of 37 degree celsius and asphalt temperature of 50 degree celsius, the grip was perfect for about 2-3 laps, then the tires start to overheat.

I can say that they perform excellently considering the high temperatures.
            Also, as we know, the front of our cars is quite heavy, which helps to heat up the front tires

Previous years I drove with toyo r888, under similar conditions they overheated at the end of the first lap.

And so, that's all I can share for now.
            You will need to lower your starting pressures.

Try 16 psi front
            18 psi rear

aim for no more than 30 psi hot.

Good luck!
            Chef

Comment

Thanks for advice! Starting pressure was about 25 psi. I'll try with lower pressure.
              Cheers!

Comment

Hello again After trying to drive with lower pressure, the result is there. The heavy front end speaks for itself. ?
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the question mark, it shouldn't be in the post.

Comment

interesting information

Comment

I think your tyres are old?

You did wait for the tyres to warm up before going full send? PM me a picture of the contact part of the tyre i can tell you abit more from this.
                      Chef

Comment

Hello again and thanks for advices!
                        These tyres haven't any sign for DOT or year of manufacture. I bought them with description "new", but they came without any "original package". So, I don't know how old are they exactly. I'll take some pictures of tyres and I'll post them here. I think is good to have such information here

Comment

And, I made some laps to warm up the tyres.

Comment

Hello again, Guys
                            Yesterday I ordered Hankook slicks with C32 (hard) mixture. This weekend I’ll try them on race track and I’ll write again.
                            Cheers​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                            X