I'm confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm confused

I just bought my S2 Avant. About a couple of weeks a month ago and noticed this constant squeaking noise. It turns out that the inner wheel is rubbing against part of the suspension arm. I have 225x45 R17 at the moment and Audi (in their wisdom) have suggested spacers. My question is what size spacers and where to get them.......... Newbie

you have the right tyres fitted etc.

are they OE audi wheels?

what width and offset are they?

I occasionally get this with mine but not a huge problem.

Greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Are your wheel bearings ok?

If you look inside the wheel cap area it will tell you size and ET number. Please post these and this will help identify the wheel etc.

David

Comment

Sorry for the delay in getting the info to you. They seem like audi oe's, wheel bearings are okay.

The ET is 45 wheel dimension is 7.5J x 17 H2. I hope this helps. I need to know what size spacers and where to get them from. I tried Halfords but they are 6mm and I am not too sure if these are too much or too little. The wheel arch is quite aways from the wheel itself so I am not too worried about scraping. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

you have the offset for S4 wheels. Offset wants to be 35mm on those.

Greg
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

The standard S2 wheels (16*7.5J) have an ET of 37. An ET of 45 moves the wheel 8mm closer to the inside of the car and that causes the scraping. To be safe you would need to get at least a 8mm spacer (effective ET of 37). I am using an ET of 30 on a 7.5J which looks quite good but that would require a 15mm spacer which might put stress on the wheel bearings. I think the best option is to go for a 10mm spacer.
            1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
            2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
            2006 Misano Red RS4
            2004 VW Touareg V8
            2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
            2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

Dont forget to buy the appropriate screws for the spacer too. After fitting check whether the outer rim of the tyre scrubs the wheel arch or not. It looks ugly when the tyre exceeds the level of the arch in my opinion. WWW.duw.de shows you different spacer constructions. Spurverbreiterung is the name in German. Good luck.

Gabor
              Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Thanks for the info. I shall look into getting the spacers

Comment

Hello,
                  IF that is the car i think it is( my old baby) It has original audi
                  pachino rims which fit perfectly. I never had any problems with them
                  My original tyres were Pirreli p6000 then went onto Continental
                  contact Sports Never had a days problem with the car even Fully
                  loaded.
                  What make of tyres do you have on their???
                  They might be 225 but different manufacturers tend to have different
                  footprints.
                  Im very intrested to know/help resolve this issue
                  I hope you are keeping it nice and shiny
                  RS2 MTM

Comment

Watch out for cheap wheel spacers. I have 5mm spacers on mine for the wheels to clear on the brakes. They give me no end of hassle, but i think this is due to their universal fitment/design. Custom ones should be fine.
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Have look at http://www.cromec.com/spacers.htm I have their 10mm spacers and longer bolts on my S6 and now on the S2 (temporarily as I wanted to figure what ET wheels to buy). They are nicely engineered and as they are made in South Africa should be cheap for the guys in the UK and Europe. Don't know about the transport costs but give them a shout.
                      1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
                      2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
                      2006 Misano Red RS4
                      2004 VW Touareg V8
                      2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
                      2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

Charlie; yes it is your old baby. At the moment the squeaking doesn't happen unless the weather is really warm. Audi said it is the wrong size of rims b/c it takes ET35 and mine are ET45 as posted before. Other than that it is a breeze to drive a bit boring now as I have taken on all comers and basically left them for dust what was the BHP on it?

A bit dirty now but taking it in for a full pampering on Sat; she deserves it

Comment

squeeking

are you sure its not the Immaculate black leather seats???
                          It is a common issue with the back leather seats as others would confirm.
                          Some leather wax where tthe back seats split and where they lock
                          upright shoul erradicate the squeek.
                          As for the rims they were a factory optional extra and are the right
                          Offset as the centre cap is sunk in and all the bolts are covered.
                          I confimed this wheels with a certain experrienced Audi Parts manager
                          (who will remain nameless) and he confirmed this information for me.
                          They are original Audi Rims and only 35 sets were ever brought into this country and are made by speedline who also make the 16" alloys for S2.
                          By the way 16" have an offset of 37 and are 7.5 inch wide
                          17" pachino --------------------------- 45 ---------- 8 inch wide
                          the rim sits 12.5mm outter but the offset is increased by 8mm to
                          bring it closer to the car to compensate this.
                          DO NOT CONFUSE THE REAR OFFSET OF THE COUPE AND THE AVANT.
                          With avants your limited to how wide and offset you can go.
                          If in doubt speak to the Exprerts at Vagparts. they will confirm this.
                          RS2 MTM

Comment

Etka

I have confirmed with ETKA and standard 16" et37
                            Audi also do a steel rim for the S2 and the part number is
                            447 601 025s 5x112 et 45.
                            RS2 MTM

Comment

I've also got this squeeking problem when the weather is warm on my Avant too!

I've just received a new set of rear upper arm bushes from VAGParts. The bushes are worn enough that when the weather is warmer(and drier) that there is no moisture to fill the gap (and stop the squeeking!)

I'll hopefully fit them tomorrow, weather permitting. But if it's too cold, I won't be venturing out ! First road race of the season on Sunday so I don't want to end up cuffed before start

I'll let you know when they're done

Raymond
                              1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                              1987 CQ85RS
                              1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                              1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                              Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                              Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Working...
                              X