Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do larger Rims affect dynamics of the s2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do larger Rims affect dynamics of the s2?

wondering if larger alloys , 18s in particular will upset the steering geometry, dynamics etc of the S2?
    I'm guessing worth getting a full alignment done afterwards, but are there any major knock-on effects?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

There have been a few posts in the last few months with people changing from 18s to 17s again because the ride deteriorates quite a bit of rough roads with 18s
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

It depends on what suspension you have. 18" with Bilsteins is a killer. On standard springs and koni's it's not really a problem.

Comment

same as with most cars then i guess. to be honest, i've never gone above 17s, mostly because of the silly tyre prices for 18s, and i've never needed the clearance.
        17s with the right offset look just as good and seem to suit older set-ups better
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          same as with most cars then i guess. to be honest, i've never gone above 17s, mostly because of the silly tyre prices for 18s, and i've never needed the clearance.
          17s with the right offset look just as good and seem to suit older set-ups better
          Heh you say that and I've just sold my 17" for 18" alloys

Comment

I found that the 18in AVUS wheel was a little to heavy and slowed things down a little
            so i opted for the lighter but slightly more expensive and rarer BBS LM in 18in and 20kg
            lighter .
            sigpic

Comment

another quick question.. do you guys rate the RS4 and RS6 replicas on ebay etc?

My experience of cheap reps is not particularly complimentary
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

18 inch LM photos?

@ Andy,

Do you have any photos of your 18 inch LMs?

Does anyone have any photos of 17 inch LMs?

Any comments on replicas? e.g. RS 6.

Thanks.

Comment

theres a white V6 on pistonheads with LMs or LM replicas on it
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

personally no issues to date with the RS4 reps i have, lacquer is in good condition and continue to respond to a good clean.

18s on H&R's and Bilsteins is a bit jiggly which can be annoying if you're on a long drive but the upside is they look great and on most roads the grip outweighs the pain I found 17's more expensive that 18's when I was looking (about 2-3yrs back, sure prices have changed since then tho)
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

IMVHO 17" Wheels, Bilsteins and Standard Suspension and standard bushes is pretty close to perfection on UK roads. It would be rubbish on track, but can handle anything a bumpy A-road will throw at it with ease. I was only thinking last night how much I like the set up with a brand new set of Yoko's on it.

Cheers,

Steve.
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                        another quick question.. do you guys rate the RS4 and RS6 replicas on ebay etc?

My experience of cheap reps is not particularly complimentary
                        I got a set of 17" RS4 replicas off midland wheels on ebay for my 16v coupe (4x108) and they're great. apart from the scuffs and chunk the missus has inflicted but I can't blame midland wheels for that.
                        I'm sure they do 5 studs too
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        1990 CQ20v
                        2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

..and for what it's worth I prefer 17s to 18s for looks and ride. but that's just one bloke's opinion and I don't do track days or silly road driving... well, maybe a little if the right tune's on.
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          1990 CQ20v
                          2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                            IMVHO 17" Wheels, Bilsteins and Standard Suspension and standard bushes is pretty close to perfection on UK roads. It would be rubbish on track, but can handle anything a bumpy A-road will throw at it with ease. I was only thinking last night how much I like the set up with a brand new set of Yoko's on it.

Cheers,

Steve.

Koni shocks, standard springs and 18" IMO is the best setup

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X