Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Locking nut prob

Hi guys.

Ive been ignoring this problem for a while but its about time I man up and get it sorted.

OK, had some nice wheels put on and got some nice wheel locking nuts to go with them.. like a so n so, i threw away the box after purchase. (you can see whats coming cant you).

a garage took off my wheel, and forced the locking wheel nut in on a angle. the result, a stripped locking wheel nut KEY after an attempt to remove the offending nut. Ive got replacement locking nuts, but no key, or shall i say a half broken key to remove the rest. I cant contact the locking wheel nut company as I dont have a part number for the nuts, and the broken key has no marking on it (although i know which company produces them).

What are my options? and in the most extreme situation, which garage in manchester could drill out my old locking nuts?

why do mechanics always **** up my car? so far mechanics have :

scratched my wheels
    forced wheel nut in on an angle
    scratched the inside of my engine bay
    snapped my accelerator pedal
    fittig 1 size down brakes without any notification
    cut my exhaust in half to get to the clutch
    fitted bushes upside down

and thats jsut on my s2.. dont start me on the previous cars.
    ABY Coupe
    sigpic

I had to get mine off last week and used the old socket trick. I found a old socket (the multipoint ones) that was just too small to go over the offending bolt. Simply pick up a large hammer and force the socket over the nut, then undo. Obviously the bolt is no good after that, but you have a new set anyway.

Mine were the old quantum bolts (round with 3 pegs to locate). They had the spinning collar, but forcing the socket on pushed the collar down so tight against the body of the bolt it still worked.

Give it a try - it really does work....
    '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

I had the same problem with mine garage not locating the socket right and snapped one pin off and after a few heated words with mechanic on phone who told me that the nuts were on tooooo tight and that is wot caused it to snap off i proceeded out side and took them off with only 2 pins on and not a lot of force to slacken them off so if you have any pins left try it yourself as i thought "if you want it doing right do it yourself" just make sure the socket is located securely

Comment

And if none of the above doesn`t work try welding a nut on the end of wheel nut just weld round the inside of nut but use something to protect wheel from arc (piece of leather or canvas) just tacking will be enough and splash with water as soon as you`ve done to stop heat

Comment

Not sure about the wheel nuts, but you need a new garage dude...
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

thanks guys, the weldink tactic seems the best idea so far!!! will do this at weekend!!

you guys are saviours
            ABY Coupe
            sigpic

Comment

Hi Ski i lost my locking wheel nut key (genuine Audi part, they look like a star/drive spline) my mechanic had a set off Snap On locking wheel nut removers, he got all 4 off in less than a minute! They look like a stud extractor but in socket form. If you are still struggling i can give you his number. Are you in Manchester? He is mobile and based in Burnley, i dont think he would travel over to you but you could call and see him.
              ATB

RAOUL

Comment

Originally posted by Ski View Post
                thanks guys, the weldink tactic seems the best idea so far!!! will do this at weekend!!

you guys are saviours
                Had the same thing with our Ford Galaxy the welding method is the easiest way forward
                S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

i used 1 of these to remove a damaged locking wheel nut
                  as seen on tv
                  bout all they are good for though
                  Nautic Blue UR-Quattro RS2spec ABY20v kkk26/27 hybrid,Bremsport Brake Kit n some other Gubbins.water injection. Mihnea tuned Management The old Bus
                  0-60 4.9
                  1/4mile 13.5

Comment

I bought these pieces of crap,tryed them on 3 different types so far and failed on all 3.Just wacked a socket on and that did the trick.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...pc-21-And-25mm

Comment

well when ever i get a real tight impossible to move one i always drill them of with a drill and drill bit funnily enough and crack the nut in half that way. ( havent failed yet and havent wrecked a stud yet either..)

Comment

but i just thought he he there bolts arent they... yep weld a nut on.. or wack a socket on them that you dont need..

Comment

I use these and have never failed to get one off yet with no wheel damage.
                          http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....uk&dir=catalog
                          very expensive to buy but try and find a local tyre shop or garage that has these type of sockets.
                          You can weld a nut on the end but depending on your wheel this may be a problem.
                          This is always a problem when entrusting your car to others i tell my customers if they are getting tyres to remove the locking nuts themselves and fit a spare wheelbolt-saves enormous hassle when they f**k it up.
                          Good luck, hope you get it off with minimal damage.

Comment

sorry

but have to ask, what cind of people work at these shops??? I mean, at least i work on other cars like they where my own, I know how bad it feels, with a new schratch or new dent.

But seriously get a better mechanic to work on the car.
                            japanischer industriabfall nein danke!!
                            www.rackeltrim.se Icelandic Division

Comment

thanks for all ur support guys. its not just 1 mechanic its a number of mechanics. i've went and bought my own socket set and some axle stands and try to do most things myself. but you still have to go to the mechanics every now and then, even if its for new tyres thats something i cant do.

Untill I get my own garage and my own ramp, these things will happen i gues
                              ABY Coupe
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X