Wheel Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found this thread.

What does everyone think? I will need newfront tyres soon, although they have 3 - 4mm tread on them. Should I have the alignment done now to try and stop the inner tyre wear (both sides) or should I wait until I get new tyres and have it done then? (Back tyres are brand new)

Cheers,

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Id get it done now, will make quite a difference to the way the car handles if it is a way out too.

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Always have your alignment checked when fitting new tyres, so that the new footprint of the tyre is in contact correctly, if not the new tyres will wear to the same pattern as the old ones.

Also it is important that on 4wd cars the tread depth front to rear difference is no more than 2mm, you should rotate tyres front to back, and replace all 4 at once, and only use the same type all round, do not mix makes.
        Budget tyres and performance cars DO NOT MIX!!!

rant over.
        Corey
        01636 822288

Comment

Has anybody got the factory settings for front track ? Are they the same for Coupe & Avant ?
          Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Avant S2
            Has anybody got the factory settings for front track ? Are they the same for Coupe & Avant ?
            Peter, I would Imagine they are the same but Greg ( coupe quattro20V) has set his for toe in and -ve camer using 2bennet neg camber plates. Helps the turn in but doesn't increase tyre wear unduly.

David

Comment

I agree about the budget tyres thing. Not the best idea, hey GregS!!
              Not so sure about the idea of the 2mm tread difference, doesnt have any affect on the car. Handling wise or mechanically. It DOES affect some traction control systems on Volvo's and BMW's, but only brings the light on.
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                I agree about the budget tyres thing. Not the best idea, hey GregS!!
                Im gonna sort that one out soon, just got a few more important things to finish first. Like fitting a new rad! But yes the tyres are shocking!

Greg
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                X