Will they fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will they fit?

I've been offered a set of 18" OZ Vela wheels (see below) with uniroyal rainsport 1 tyres. They are 8Jx18 ET35 with 225/40 r18 tyres.

Will they fit on my avant? The tyres are the right size and from what I can tell the offset is about right.

Has anyone fitted this wheel/tyre size combo on their S2?
    Ben
    Attached Files
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

I've got 8x18 et35 with Pzero 225/40/18 on my coupe. Its lowered using h+r springs. If I hit a bump while turning left at speed, the offside front wheel catches the wing (or could be plastic inner wing liner) slightly, but not enough to cause any damage.

Comment

They should fit - I've had 225/40x18 18x8 ET35 on my coupe and they never rubbed.

And it's lowered with the H&Rs
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Cheers for the help. I only have one more concern. There is not a lot of clearance in the rear wheel arches of an avant. How similar are avant and coupe rear ends? I know the suspension set up is completely different.

Hopefully, I'll find out on monday how much they want for the wheels. If the price is right I'll arrange for a trial fitment. They're at one of our dealerships and the sales manager is getting rid of all the big alloys his predecessor fitted.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

I have considered the clearance at the rear for bigger tyres. This is only opinion but I reckon 225 should be OK. If the wheel offset is the same then you are only adding 10mm each side over standard.

I reckon that you can just get another 10mm out of the standard whell arch before the tyres stick out (and I guess become illegal).

Only my opinion, I'm sure someone must have BTDT.

Leigh
          Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

225/40x18 tyres are quite wide for the Avant. A customer of mine ran 225/45x17 ET 35 on his S2 Avant, and he had clearance problems ONLY AT THE REAR. The Avant uses a different set up to the Coupe, the rear wheels tend to foul on the upper suspension link.

Comment

Not really sticking to the topic sorry, just wanted to say those wheels will look well nice on the car!!!
              Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
              2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

The upper rear suspension link was my main concern. There's not a lot of clearance even with the standard wheels and tyres.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Try Before you Buy

S2Avant - You are going to Billing right?

You can ask MikQuattro if you can try his 18" RS4 replicas on the back - ET35 - with 225/40x18 tyres - that should confirm if they fit and how close - I'll be bringing them down in the back of my car.

I would suggest a better jack than the standard one and a plank of wood (so the jack doesn't sink) if we are doing this.

Mik??
                  S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I can always stick my trolley jack in the boot. Have to see if I can get my hands on a plank

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X