Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alloy wheel refurb

Hi there,

I'm having my wheels refurb'ed at Alloy Magic, Poole and am really pleased with the results so far, given how they started out. I've posted the before, middle and after shots for your perusal...

AM had hundreds of colours to choose from so although I had a good idea of what I wanted actually choosing the final colour was a nightmare!

They are charging me £75 per wheel, which given the time they're spending on them and all the machining and processes that the wheels go through, I think this is pretty reasonable, especially for 14 year old very tired wheels!

They are having the final coat and lacquer next week and then I'll be taking them back up to Andover Car Service where my car is having the various exhaust gaskets replaced.

I'm hoping they'll good on my Rag Green RS2. I'll post an image once they're on my car in a week or two.

Cheers

Simon
    Attached Files
    1995 Audi RS2 with Supersprint Cat back

That is a bold decision to go with painted centres and polished lip, but you could just pull it off!

I look forward to seeing them on the car.

Sounds like good value for money considering the obvious amount of work that went into them.

Cheers,

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Very good colour combo choice, they're gonna look awesome on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
        That is a bold decision to go with painted centres and polished lip, but you could just pull it off!
        That's what I've got, really pleased with them as it was a £30 DIY effort. I'd definately have them done professionally but £300 is a lot towards a set of lightweight Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s...
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Many thanks. It was very tempting to go OEM but after much consideration over the last couple of months I went for it! They look really good on their own but introducing them to the car may be a different story. Fingers crossed on my part! Fat Audi 80 - thank you for your comments to an earlier post on this too. Would you recommend some sort of wheel wax on them to protect them before I put them on the car?

Cheers

Simon

Comment

Bang on them brother, it does sound like excellent value for money cos they looked phuqed!
            ATB

RAOUL

Comment

Originally posted by simon44 View Post
              Many thanks. It was very tempting to go OEM but after much consideration over the last couple of months I went for it! They look really good on their own but introducing them to the car may be a different story. Fingers crossed on my part! Fat Audi 80 - thank you for your comments to an earlier post on this too. Would you recommend some sort of wheel wax on them to protect them before I put them on the car?

Cheers

Simon
              Hi Simon,

Wheel wax - absolutely!

In case you are not already aware, you are going to have to be very careful with the polished lip. Avoid acid alloy wheel cleaners like Wonder Wheels or the Autoglym clean wheels. I would recommend cleaning them regularly with normal car shampoo only.

But, before you mount them, I would give two or three layers of Poorboys Wheel Sealant on the front the inner rim, you will them be able to clean them by merely washing with shampoo and wiping your hand around the inside of the rim.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels...nt/prod_9.html

If you do need something stronger than shampoo, this is good:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels.../prod_499.html

If you avoid the curbs and look after them carefully they should look good for ages...

Cheers,

Steve.
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Ive not used the poor boys one, but yet the chemical guys regularly. I imagine they are pretty much identical.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels.../prod_197.html

Very easy to apply and make a big different to the ease of maintaining the alloys.
                S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

The polished lips on my wheels are knackered after my season of track days in 2007 spattered them with molten brake pad that damaged them. This, along with a touch of curbing and general wear and tear means that I'd prefer to have them silver if I'm honest. Take care!
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

You've curbed them?

Comment

Many thanks Steve and all for care advice - all taken! Some good info - many thanks, Simon

Comment

A quick update. After a small delay at the refurb company, the wheels were picked up and given two coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant (thank you to Fat Audi 80 for this tip) which went on well and the wheels were returned back to Andover Car Service, where my car is. Initial impressions of the new colour with the car are good and I'll take some photos once my car is finished with the gasket work we are doing and has been cleaned etc.

Cheers

Simon

Comment

Cool! Looking forward to the pics.

Come on!
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic

Comment

Any idea of a colour code for these wheels?

Comment

Working...
                            X