Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres

Do all 4 tyres need to be replaced, or can I get away just changing the front 2 on a quattro. I know you can get away with it on the later Haldex systems, but I'm not sure about the permanent 4wd system.

I changed just the fronts about 1500 mile ago and i have had no problem with them, and i have got another two new ones going on tomorrow. I can't see why not fella.
    Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

its always recommended to change all 4.

do oyu need 2?

not really. the audi system is a lot more solid than say a transfer box on a cavalier 4x4 turbo. they didn't like it too much.

id be a little wary of 2 skinheads and 2 newbies though.

Comment

Can't see why it would be an issue at all, surely if the rears were badly worn and started to slip the torsen would just push more power bias to the front. With my coupe i went through 2 sets of fronts before changing the rears and never had issues... why would i change the rears when they had ~5mm left?
        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

its not about slipping its about the rolling radius. a smaller wheel will rotate more than a bigger one. a mute4d down version of the mot man putting the car on a 2wd brake machine.

really the chav turbos suffered badly from this.

Comment

I now the cavi turbos had a bad 4wd system, i heard that it was designed to disconnect drive to the rear wheels when braking - giving better braking.
            I have matched tyres all round, but last night (after having the tracking done on Friday) my offside front tyre got intimate with a kerb after I tried to get through a gap that wasn't there. Hence a small chunk got taken from the tyre. I'm pretty sure it would get me three points if inspected, so I it's got to go.

Does anyone use Goodyear F1's?

Comment

I'll give my 2 cents for Goodyears

Comment

A few quick calculations and a tyre worn bald is going to be ~1.3% smaller circumference over one with 8mm tread... about half the tread is going to be about 0.5% so i'd be really shocked if the system isn't designed to take such a small tolerance! Mind me never to buy a cav 4x4, I'd suspect (hope) ze Germans thought that one through a little more...
                AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

the chav is german. its opel.

it is negligable ross like you say but there is a difference.

curbed rim. i know the feeling brand new BBS RC's one chipped. i use F1's. 2 types. both are good. had the cheaper ones on my bbs Rs2's and the better ones on the RC's. not cheap.

the cheaper ones are the ones that look like a series of cheverons on the tyre, directional.

Comment

The weak spot on the cav is the transfer box, uneven tyres causes heat build up which kills the seals. Mine never went wrong as it was looked after correctly: check the pressures regularly and rotate front to back etc. Just like you should be doing on any car really!

Comment

a guy i know had a few. had gsi 4x4 first then 3 turbos. used to lift it off the floor to unwind once he knew its strengths.

Comment

the clutch plates wear in the transfer box. my mate took his apart as it had gone wrong. parts are unobtainable, as I think there is a company (near alton towers) that rebuilds them, and they have the rights. you can also have them bulit to permananent 4wd, so the clutch plates are negated.

Comment

Working...
                        X