Tyre Load Rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Load Rating

Just wondering if the ABY coupe requires tyres with 94 load rating (reinforced)?

I'm sure the RS2 does but then it is a bit heavier and has lower profile tyres. But the coupe is a heavy car too so thought I should check first with the experts...

I was looking to get the bridgestone RE050A's but they don't seem to be available in 94 load rating, only the yokohama S306 is, according to the guy at black circles anyway.

So I'm gonna choose between these two tyres, if anyone has any negative experience with either I'd be interested to know. My inclination is to go with the bridgestones but just unsure about the load rating.

Oh yeah, bridgestones £66 a tyre, yoko's £50.............

Originally posted by nesshead6 View Post
    I was looking to get the bridgestone RE050A's but they don't seem to be available in 94 load rating
    You can get these tyres in that rating - I ran two sets back to back. They are however a bit of a fiddle to find. I would suggest you seriously consider Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric in 94Y. I've just moved onto them and found them to be much quieter, smoother and better all round than the Bridgestones.

A more recent design tyre I guess.
    RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Thanks for that, the F1 is another I've been tempted by. Are you saying that the reinforced tyre is def required? Can I ask where you got the F1's with 94Y (I'm assuming you're running standard S2 size tyres.....)

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
        You can get these tyres in that rating - I ran two sets back to back. They are however a bit of a fiddle to find. I would suggest you seriously consider Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric in 94Y. I've just moved onto them and found them to be much quieter, smoother and better all round than the Bridgestones.

A more recent design tyre I guess.
        OE 16" tyres aren't 94 rating. I run Eagle F1 A 94 Ys on my ABY and have founf them to be excellent. THe Bridgestones I had before were 1kg heavier than the eagles each, they were also a pig to fit/remove. I didn't really rate them either. Another, cheaper option is Uniroyal Rain Sport 2s.
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I certainly don't believe its a requirement to run them on an XL or reinforced tyre. Sure my Pilot 2s are 92Y and the toyos the same or 88-91Y

HTH
          David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Have you looked at Avon tyres? I run Avon Azzarro ZZ3's on my S2 Avant Nothelle, it had Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on when I bought it, but baulked when I saw the price of them! A friend who has a tyre shop recommended them and I'm now on my second set of front ones. Much better than the Michelins on outright grip, they feel alot stiffer and give more confidence and at less than half the price (at the time I bought them) I couldn't complain. They lasted about 10,000miles on the front, so far done about 10,000 on the back and still look good. They were about £75-80 for a 225/45-17 and I made sure they were upto the right spec to run on the car given it's weight and power.
            Audi 80 S2 Nothelle N300 Avant, 1993, Amethyst Pearl VW/Audi Car Magazine article about this very car
            Audi A6 Avant 2.5 TDi, 1995, Arctic Silver (now sold)
            BMW E36 325i Coupe, 1993, Diamond Black (now sold)
            VW Polo 1.0L 6N, 1998, Red (the missus' car)
            Aprilia Rs250 motorbike, 1998, Black (the weekend toy)

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
              I certainly don't believe its a requirement to run them on an XL or reinforced tyre.
              Nope, not a requirement. However, if you like to drive very fast around corners I would recommend them, especially if you might do the odd track day. 94Y is effective in cutting out tyre wear halfway down the side wall mid corner. Side wall is stiffer (also heavier=bad, ho hum) but does help keep the tyre running on the tread!
              Last edited by Lloyd; 13 June 2009, 09:59.
              RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Thanks guys, ordered the F1's 91W. Tried quite a few places but couldn't get them in 94Y in the standard size. Lloyd and Rusty are you running a different sized tyre?

Comment

225/45r17 94y

Hth
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
                    Nope, not a requirement. However, if you like to drive very fast around corners I would recommend them, especially if you might do the odd track day. 94Y is effective in cutting out tyre wear halfway down the side wall mid corner. Side wall is stiffer (also heavier=bad, ho hum) but does help keep the tyre running on the tread!
                    yup, thats a good tip, though i just bought some road legal track day tyres and they sure have a stiff sidewall
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                    X