Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A lil 18" Avant wheel advise please.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lil 18" Avant wheel advise please.........

Hi guys, just wondered if i couod pick your brains.
    Got my tyres on today so thought id fit up my new wheels. 18"x8" ET45 with 225 40 18 tyres. Stuck them on and at the rear they look a peach, the rim sits almost flush with the arch. This looks perfect (in ideal worls maybe out another 3mm).

But.......at the front they sit quite a bit in. Is this the norm on Avants? Whats the best size of spacer to make it look the same all round? 10mm? 15mm? And does this inrease understeer dramatically??

And....... does anyone have such a thing for sale????

ps. ill get a pic of them up tmrw when its light.

Many thanks

AL

I have noticed my avants front wheels sit in slightly more compared to the rears
    and I'm running standard avus rims ATM

Comment

that is normal for an avant, im running monoblock alloys in 8x17 and the et is 48!! so bought 20mm hubcentric spacers but found me using a 5mm spacer on the front as well and it still sits in board of the arch. I would imagine its due to the track being wider on the rear but im not that up on the audi stuff and couldn't be 100% sure

sorry couldnt really advise on the 18's as ive not had any on mine yet i would say 7mm or 5mm would be good anything over that and your into hubcentric ones and there not the cheapest

Comment

Yeah now u come to mention it the Avus's prob sat in a lil too altho not being so wide i dont think its as noticable. Dont think anything under 10mm will make a visual difference so itl prob have to be hubcentric me thinks??

Comment

Originally posted by als2 View Post
          Yeah now u come to mention it the Avus's prob sat in a lil too altho not being so wide i dont think its as noticable. Dont think anything under 10mm will make a visual difference so itl prob have to be hubcentric me thinks??

do you not know any one with a 5mm spacer lying around you could quickly try?
          you said your et was 45 so a 20mm spacer would bring that down to ET25 which would probably be ok but again ive never run 18's others will know better, pretty sure most people run 20 on front and 15 out back (if i remember the posts correctly)

is yours lowered?

Comment

I posted a similar thread to this a week ago and didnt get any specific answer.
            Ive got 5mm spacers on the front of mine and it still sits in from the rear.
            At a rough guess, Im going to say that 10mm will be near enough.
            I spoke to bambridge about some 10mm hubcentric spacers and he said its not ideal to have them hubcentric at that thickness, but would do 13mm.
            But of a dilemma really, because 13 might be too much!
            Ill see if I can find a pic that shows the difference with 5mm

Comment

Comment

Yeah just thinkin back 10mm hub centric proves a prob with recessing one side and hubbing the other side. Hmmmmmmmmmm i think 13mm would be ok (see pics) and i might go for 5mm at back.
                Urs looks fairly spot on Dest, that the 5mm spacers?
                Attached Files

Comment

Oh and shes low! HR's and Konis
                  Attached Files

Comment

H&R do spacers.
                    I've got 13mm on the back and 15mm on the front.
                    Running A8 alloys.

Ex owner of a 1993 Silver Avant - RS2 spec.
                    2002 A8 sport 2.8 quattro Sold
                    2003 A6 Avant Tdi
                    Mk Indy 2.0 pinto circa 160 Bhp
                    2004 VW Caddy SDi
                    2002 Civic Type R

Comment

Mine looks better in that pic than it actually is, there is still a noticable difference, but not as bad obviously.
                      Matt, do yours sit level?

Comment

Yeah you know its bad when even the wife comments (hmmm front wheels look a lil funy!) frig!
                        Just sourced some hub centric 15mm version 27 quid wi bolts.
                        Now.....back 5mm????????

Comment

If I put any spacers on the rear they would stick out!

Comment

Originally posted by als2 View Post
                            Yeah you know its bad when even the wife comments (hmmm front wheels look a lil funy!) frig!
                            Just sourced some hub centric 15mm version 27 quid wi bolts.
                            Now.....back 5mm????????
                            Mk1 18" S8 avus on my avant with 16mm (back) and 22(mm) front custom hubcentric aluminum hard anodised spacers.

I think the S8's are et48 if I remember correctly. Wheels now sit pretty much flush with wheel arch. Not sure I would get away with it if the car was lowered but with the state of the roads round here I've no plans to lower the car.

1988 ur - weekend toy...
                            1994 S2 avant - weekday toy... gone... in many pieces...

MK7 Golf GTI

Comment

Hmmm, so am I right in thinking you only have 6mm extra on the front?
                              My 5mm isnt enough, but Im certain another 1mm wouldnt make the difference

(Im useless with offsets lol)

Comment

Working...
                              X