tyres for rs2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyres for rs2?

what do people recommend and sizes for RS2? just for fast road use with approx 370bhp

many thanks

I'm using contisport sport contact5 225/45/17 feel very safe and great in the wet too

Comment

Tyres are very subjective. As many opinions as there are brands.

It all depends on your budget and how serious you are.

It is the one area not to skimp on though. It doesn't matter how cololer your exhaust sounds or how big your brakes are, you're not going to make it round the sharper than expected bend, or when the car in front stops unexpectedly with no brake lights / for an un seen to you problem.

At the top of the pile might be Michelin Pilot Super Sport, and then maybe Dunlop Sport RT Maxx.

I have the Dunlop's in 255/35/18 on 8 x 18 on a UrS6 saloon and they grip well in wet and dry, are lasting well and never squeal.

A normal / safe / conservative RS2 size would be 8 x 17 rims with 22/45/17, and if it's an RS2, isn't the rim's ET something like 52 as opposed to an S2's ET of 35 ?

The overarching advice would be not to be tempted to cheap out, as you'll regret it when you run into the back of someone.

My tuppence
      Last edited by macspring; 10 July 2015, 07:57.

Comment

I'm running 225/45/17 Toyo R1R's on my RS2, I also have a set in 215/45/17 on my S2's light weight rims, their a great tyre and can picked fairly cheaply ATM as their being phased out by the manufacturer.

Super sticky in the dry and surprisingly good in the wet, they dealt very well with some horrendous conditions on they return trip from Scotland in May.

Being a track-day orientated tyre they have stiff side walls so a 225/45 sit's nicely on the stock RS2 7J rims.

Only downside I can see is their a little more noisy than regular tyres and have 6mm of tread from new, though they didn't wear a heck of a lot on the 1500 odd miles I did on a lap of Scotland.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

are toyo t1r any good? demon tweeks/jjc seem to have toyo on deal atm. i bought x4 for a caterham in 15inch for under £150 the set! just seen a set of 17s in 225/45 is £220!

Comment

I drive with 225/45/17 Oem size for the Bolero wheels on the cabrio with Michellin Pilot sport 3 and they are fantastic. Also recomend the same size Pirelli P Zero. They are a little bit cheaper than the PS3 but super nice tires. They should be ok for the 370hp RS2
            99' BMW 528iT (the Bear) - sold
            07'-09' Linkoln MkS 3.7 (the Limo)
            94' Audi 90 CS 2.8 (Barak Obama) -Dissasembled donor
            97' Cabriolet 2.8 (Kremena) - sold
            97' Cabriolet 2.8 (Albena) - the One

Comment

Originally posted by nicksonmsport View Post
              are toyo t1r any good? demon tweeks/jjc seem to have toyo on deal atm. i bought x4 for a caterham in 15inch for under £150 the set! just seen a set of 17s in 225/45 is £220!
              Their OK, not amazing but for the money they offer very good value, I have a set in 225/45/17 on my S2's Compomotives which I got from JJC last year for £230 delivered.

Demon tweeks and JJC always seem to have them on offer and for the price their hard beat.

I've run then on various cars over the years and have found that they don't last very well and once over half worn aren't great in the wet.

The R1R's are in a different league both in the wet and dry, a set of four can be picked up for £400 delivered from eBay, I was lucky and got mine for £370 the day before the seller upped the price.

I'm going to be purchasing another set before their all gone.

Comment

Just a quick question for RS2 owners, the standard RS2 size 245x40x17 is not OK?

Comment

RS2 Tires.

I had a previous set of Michelin SS on the RS2 that were 245-40 -17, as recommended, and recently replaced them with 225-45-17, Michelin's also. My car tracks much better, feels less fidgety, less squirrelly, and does not tramline, as it did before.

Comment

I sound like a grumpy old man now, but anyway the tyre size for an RS2 issue has been covered a few times on here, but for those not fully au fait, the oem Dunlops may have been marked with 245/45/17, but nowadays, the tyre size to use is 225/45/17 for normal results.

Others know loads more about it than me, and will have the relevant links for people's convenience.

In summary, put 225/45/17 on the 7 x 17 oem RS2 rims.

As Dave says, "pay attention it'll be on the exam".

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                      I sound like a grumpy old man now, but anyway the tyre size for an RS2 issue has been covered a few times on here, but for those not fully au fait, the oem Dunlops may have been marked with 245/45/17, but nowadays, the tyre size to use is 225/45/17 for normal results.

In summary, put 225/45/17 on the 7 x 17 oem RS2 rims.

As Dave says, "pay attention it'll be on the exam".

HTH.
                      This is correct.

Comment

Continental, Michelin, and Dunlop all make very good sporty road tyres but if your after something for 'fast' road use then consider track-day tyres. Cardcrash has Federal RSR's on one of his RS2's and they also coped very well in the wet as well.

The difference in grip in the dry is almost the same as comparing normal road tyres to winter one's for use in the snow, that's about the best way I can describe it.

I'm yet to find the limit of the R1R's on corners I'd never be able to take at the same speeds on conventional tyres.

The Federals are also very good value.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post

This is correct.
                          What, the grumpy old man bit ?

Last edited by macspring; 10 July 2015, 19:16.

Comment

It's 'cardcrash'. And yes, the 595's(/RSR's) are ace on dry roads, I've yet to find the limits on them myself. In the wet they're pretty good, but they did struggle with that surface water we had coming back from Scotland, when it was absolutely gushing it down. God was upset about something that evening. In saying that I'm not sure what tyre could displace that amount of water at moderate speeds... I certainly wasn't happy going above 45-50!
                            RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
                            RS2 - LHD on the road again
                            RS2 - reduced to component parts
                            RS2 Saloon replica
                            A4 1.8T
                            BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
                            sigpic

Comment

i have used track tyres in the past but tbh they can be pretty rubbish in the wet, especially standing water as mentioned, would prefer a bit more of an all rounder!
                              as said they are awesome in the dry, especially with a 4wd car!

has anyone used goodyear eagle f1? i used them in the past and thought they were pretty good?

Comment

Working...
                              X