Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre question

Evening guys

So I bought a decent set of stock Avus rims with 4x new Goodyear eagle f1's on last week with the intention of using them for winter.

I fitted them and drove the 3 mile trip home after checking over the tyres, no cracks and with all the nobbly bits off I went expecting a nice soft ride after living with 18" rims.

Oddly it was quite a harsh ride as if the tyres were quite hard, unable to check the tyre dates I contacted to the seller who advised they'd been sat in the garage for approx 4 years.

the seller thinks "they just need reseating" does this sound right ? Surely if they've gone hard that's going to make no difference ? Such a shame !

"Reseating" is complete BS.

Four digit date code should be moulded into the tire (tyre). Here is an example with "1113", 11th week of 2013:

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks dave, I am aware of the date marks but just not been able to check....whatever I find is going to be old! What a waste

Comment

Good excuse to get some 225/50R16s on there. That's a stanadard BMW and Merc size, so you may find some newer, used tyres for a sensible price.

Not heard of tyres riding harder when old; are you sure that they're just not sportier tyres, being F1s?
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

What pressure?
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Also if they are F1 GSDs they were available in XL (extra load) versions with arguably a stiffer side wall. That said, I always found them quite soft.

Also have a look at country of origin, they will either be Germany, China or Thailand... Whether it changes the tyre composition or not is/was open for debate, but it may help indicate how old they are and wether they came from a reputable dealership.

I think tyres do get harder and crack (my gut tells me that). I have similar stock Avus on, and the difference from 18" wheels is marked.

Comment

mis post
              Last edited by andyg plym; 22 August 2015, 19:02. Reason: Mis post

Comment

Working...
              X