S2 ABY cannot fit spare rim and tyre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John. View Post
    I definitely would NOT be relying on a tin of gloop to repair a damaged tyre.
    Me neither.... but most manufacturers now do...
    Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
    S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
    '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

This is how I solved my needing a good spare with big brakes and a conversion from 4 lug to 5 lug. I am running ABY front and rear hubs.

So first I picked up the same size spare as the coupe originally had, but in 5X112. Don't remember off what car, as it was 14 years ago.

This would only fit on the rears with a spacer. Don't remember the size of the spacer, as I have moved on, but I had to buy two spacers and longer bolts. This was not a problem when I was running the S4 Avus wheels, as I had to use spacers with them. This wheel would only work in the rear, never in the front. I never had a flat, but it I had a flat in the front I would have had to put a rear tire on the front and the spare on the rear.

So I got this spare. It is out of an 1995 UrS6, and it is a 17 inch spare. Tire size is T125/80R17. Wheel size is 400BX17HR ET 35. Part number is 441-601-025L.

It fits fine in both the front and the rear. Clears the 996 calipers without a problem.

Now the only problem left was, would it fit in the coupe spare tire well.

Sits a little higher of course, but the cover fits, the rear shelf fits, and the hatch closes. Works for me.

Greg W.
      They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by 90quattrocoupe View Post
        This is how I solved my needing a good spare with big brakes.....

So I got this spare. It is out of an 1995 UrS6, and it is a 17 inch spare. Tire size is T125/80R17. Wheel size is 400BX17HR ET 35. Part number is 441-601-025L.

It fits fine in both the front and the rear. Clears the 996 calipers without a problem.

Now the only problem left was, would it fit in the coupe spare tire well.

Sits a little higher of course, but the cover fits, the rear shelf fits, and the hatch closes. Works for me.
        great tip, thanks!
        Now start the hunt for a 441-601-025L

Comment

Nice tip.

Comment

Such 17" spare wheel is a good option. Worth looking for it. I tried putting OEM 15" spare wheel from USA A4B5 at least on the back with no success (280mm brakes).

The big issue with coupe spare wheel is width. Even 205 tyre on 7,5" disc is very tight there and pulling it out is pain in butt.
            Last edited by _ShurikeN; 14 June 2021, 02:32.

Comment

I just have a space saver spare, like this:
              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-18-Sp...UAAOSw4DJYiJik

Wouldn't want to drive far with it on but it's there if I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
                great tip, thanks!
                Now start the hunt for a 441-601-025L
                Any UrS4/6 should have the same spare. Maybe V8s and A8s.

Greg W.
                They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Bringing back an old problem.

So I have been carrying one of the original 16" rims as my spare. Bit of a problem if one of the front wheels get a puncture as the 16" will not fit over the Porsche calipers. Simple fix take one of the rears off and move to the front and put the 16" on the rear.

Not sure just yet but I am going to try a 215-45-17 on the 17" spare rim to see if it will fit nicely in the spare wheel well. The width of the 225-45-17 was just to big to fit in and I could not close the rear shelf. If a 215-45-17 fits then my spare will be able to be used for the front or rear. Less work if I get a puncture

Comment

What I mentioned before, except with pictures, on using an UrS4/6 spare in a CQ.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1676708482419528/permalink/1956687067755000/

Gre
                    g W.

Comment

If I can get my S6 17" 8J using a 215-45-17 tyre to fit in the tyre well, I would prefer the look of the S6 rim when on the car if I need to use the spare wheel.

Would the difference in diameter and circumference be an issue with the S2 quattro drive system when using the spare with the other tyres.

Using the S6 Rim with 225-45-17 the rolling diameter is 634mm and it has a circumference of 1993mm.

Using the S6 Rim with 215-45-17 the rolling diameter is 625mm and it has a circumference of 1964mm. When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed would be 59.1 km/h.

Should I be concerned with the difference? The way I see it is the worst case scenario would be like running on a three good tyres and one well worn tyre until the puncture was fixed.

Greg W Must say your idea of a steel rim is still a very good one but I just dont like the look of the rim

Comment

I have assembled a spare 205/50-17 7.5x17 ET30. Clears brembo calipers and fits coupe spare well.

Comment

Originally posted by orsum View Post
                          Greg W Must say your idea of a steel rim is still a very good one but I just dont like the look of the rim
                          well, it is a spare and you cannot see it under the cover

Comment

Working...
                          X