Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.5j Wheels on ABY Coupe

Afternoon chaps.

Sent my car away for paint and prior to that I worked out exactly what offset I needed on my wheels to fit a set of 8.5j 18 wheels to it.

I have however now lost the piece of paper and need to order the wheels but the car is still at the bodyshop.

So who is running 18 x 8.5j wheels and what offset are you running?

Cheers

I ran 17" - 8.5j - et20 azev a's in front, no rubbing. Tyre was 205/50
    1990 2.2 20VT Audi Coupe Quattro
    *Hx35/k26, MaxxECU, Wagner EM/IC *RS2 Recaro *4pot-Brembo *3" turboback *Treser *Koni/H&R
    1990 Audi 200 20v Avant 2.2 20VT *7 Seater *Full electric gizmos

Comment

18x8.5J et32 with a 225/40, Very close to the ball joint literally 2mm clearance between the tyre and the rubber boot on the ball joint. They actually touched the boot until I got the alignment done, luckily that gave me a couple of mm clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by ajax1976 View Post
        18x8.5J et32 with a 225/40, Very close to the ball joint literally 2mm clearance between the tyre and the rubber boot on the ball joint. They actually touched the boot until I got the alignment done, luckily that gave me a couple of mm clearance.
        If you fitted ET 35 or 38 you'd get clearence to the ball joint but wheel would sit outward, how much space do you have to the arch?

From memory I think I was going to go for ET 38 but I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by montyrs2 View Post
          If you fitted ET 35 or 38 you'd get clearence to the ball joint but wheel would sit outward, how much space do you have to the arch?

From memory I think I was going to go for ET 38 but I can't remember.
          Other way round, et30 or lower would take it further from the ball joint and closer to the arch.
          I should probably have said I'm running KW coilovers so not sure if the ball joint would sit in the same position as the stock strut/spring set up.
          I'll see if I've got a picture that shows the clearances, sure I took some.

Comment

Couldn't find any but you can see in this picture I've still got a fair bit clearance to the arch.

Another thing to bare in mind, tyre widths vary by quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturers for the same sizes. For example a 225 Michelin would probably rub the ball joint on mine as they run quite wide compared to other brands.

Comment

I ran 245/35 18 on 8.5J with ET32 up front and ET23 at the back. It really depends on the tyre too as different tyres have different shoulder profiles.
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post

I ran 245/35 18 on 8.5J with ET32 up front and ET23 at the back. It really depends on the tyre too as different tyres have different shoulder profiles.
                Embarrassed to ask this - but any photos of this set up ?

Comment

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

18x8.5 Et42 and 12mm spacers so et30 r888 tyres 225/40/18 all four and also tried 15mm spacers but rub on fronts on bumpy roads.

Comment

9x17 ET32 225/45. Test-fitted other width tyres: began to rub steering-rod end since 235.

Not driving yet with this setup but car stands very cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X