Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with RS2 hub size..

Hello, all.

I've read about the hub size of the RS2 on this forum and it is believed that the hub size is 73.1mm..

Does any of you know or suspect if the hub size is bigger that 73.1mm, or if some RS2s have bigger hubs than 73.1mm hub??

Here is my problem..

Since I've bought my RS2 back in 2012, I went though four sets of wheels. The first set was MTM Cup wheels which came with the car. All I knew about the wheels were they are 18 x 8.5 ET 52. I didn't give any **** about hub size.

The second set...
    I got involved in a minor accident in which one of the MTM got cracked. While on repair, I had to settle with Audi Q7's 18 x 8.5 ET 57 wheels, because no 5 x 130 square set up was available in the Korean market. I needed 5 mm spacer for the front and I had to have the hubs widened to fit. Too bad I didn's ask the mechanic about the exact spec of the hub. (And the shop went out of the business, so I will never be able to speak to them again..)

The third set was another MTM Cup wheels. After the accident, I could not find the replacement of the single MTM wheel. So I went ahead and bought another set of MTM Cup wheels. The seller claimed that the wheels were in fact on the RS2 before. I believed him (and I still do). The first and third set of MTM wheels were both made by ACP/JARA (?) and seemingly identical.

Except one problem. The third set's hub size was smaller than my RS2's hub. I didn't noticed it because I was not there when the service personnel mounted the wheels to my RS2. The service person didn't give a second thought and just mounted the wheels with impact wrench. the hub's three steel prongs impressed recess marks on the aluminum wheels as a result. Because I had no tools to accurately measure the hub's size, I had no choice other than milling out the wheels hub to the recess mark depth.

Now I have the fourth set of the wheels, which is gorgeous Techart 6 spoke wheels. I just bought the wheels from Anton (Thanks for the great wheels) I saw the pictures of the wheels on the RS2. The wheels have to fit, don't they?

Guess what? my RS2's hub size is, again, bigger than the Techart wheels hub.
    I am not saying that my third set and fourth set of the wheels are not meant to be for RS2. I am starting to suspect that either my RS2's hub is not original, or RS2s used different hub sizes.

Now what I am going to do is, since I do not have an appropriate tools to measure the RS2 hub size, that I will have hubs rings of different sizes made and test fit them into my RS2's hub. So that I will know the size. I will start with 71.6, 72.5, 73.1 and 74 and so on..

This is my front hub. I hope this is factory original..

I've got a new set of 964 Turbo fronts.. I had to save some money on brakes to buy Techart wheels.

I am not sure you can see it, but on the hub there are traces of anti-seize from the three prongs of the RS2 hub. The hub of the wheels are smaller than the diameter of the prongs..

I will update it as I make progress...

Sounds like first set have been machined to it RS2,All other wheels will probably be machined for standard porsche diameter which is fractionally smaller
    1995 RS2 Nogaro
    1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
    1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

The RS2hubs are unique as far as I know, people buy Porsche wheels and machine them to fit so maybe they were Porsche

Comment

Interesting, I was thinking about getting a set of the TechArt wheels you speak of, I saw a couple of pictures of them on Facebook

...I just can't make my mind up
        Last edited by cardcrash; 19 May 2017, 11:55.
        RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
        RS2 - LHD on the road again
        RS2 - reduced to component parts
        RS2 Saloon replica
        A4 1.8T
        BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
        sigpic

Comment

Anton confirmed that the Techart wheels I bought from him are indeed for Porsche fitment and that they need to be machined for RS2 use.

Now I will go ahead and measure myself the hub size just to make sure.

I am very much excited to have those wheels on my RS2. Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by huksa View Post
            Anton confirmed that the Techart wheels I bought from him are indeed for Porsche fitment and that they need to be machined for RS2 use.

Now I will go ahead and measure myself the hub size just to make sure.

I am very much excited to have those wheels on my RS2. Can't wait!
            Very glad you are happy Huksa. They are special wheels.

I suspect the last set of cup rims were not bored out to rs2 centerbore and were indeed smaller porsche centerbore. Take your time before going all over with hubcentric rings and have your hubs measured. I believe the porsche centerbore is 71.5 so if your hubs are genuine rs2 and untampered all you'll need to do is have the Techarts machined out to match and you'll be good to go.
            Cheers mis amigos,
            _Anton

Comment

All rs2 owners i have speaked with have 73,1 in hubs. My Porsche rims is machined to fit my rs2, and is machined to 73,1.

Comment

Update:

Now I can confirm that my RS2's hub size is indeed 73.1. The wheels have been machined accordingly.

I've got a new set of Michelin PS4 and while on the lift, got the calipers overhauled.
                I still need to work on "Porsche" script and they should be good to go soon. Also, many of my brake hoses are now tired and brittle, so new hoses are in. It is surprising that Goodridge still carries RS2-specific brake lines.

I've attached photos, but how do you bring the attached photos on the post..?
                Attached Files

Comment

Glad you got it sorted Hyunsuk. Those wheels are going to look super cool. I'll see them next week!

The "insert image" button to insert images into your posts.

Comment

Hi, where did you manage to get the stencil for painting the porsche logo on the caliper ?, i've seen the sticker type but not the stencil type

Like others I machined hubs to suit standard porsche wheels, bbs lm's for the summer only,

Cars looking good,

Cheers Paul
                    1995 RS2 Nogaro
                    1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                    1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

Originally posted by PaulJ View Post
                      Hi, where did you manage to get the stencil for painting the porsche logo on the caliper ?, i've seen the sticker type but not the stencil type

Like others I machined hubs to suit standard porsche wheels, bbs lm's for the summer only,

Cars looking good,

Cheers Paul
                      My mechanic did this for me. I don't know exactly how he did, though. I do know that he had put considerable "personal" effort in making the stencil template.

He first looked into the Porsche stickers, only to realize that most stickers on the market are simply too big or too small for my calipers. That's the main reason he decided to do this route.

What size of your LMs? I was talking to a local BBS distributor about 18" LMs for Porsche, but I felt the offset was a little too high.

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                        Glad you got it sorted Hyunsuk. Those wheels are going to look super cool. I'll see them next week!

The "insert image" button to insert images into your posts.
                        Yes! We might actually be able to drive it at last! I'll see you soon.

About the insert image button.. Does this button work for attached files too? It seems it only works on the images hosted outside this domain. Sorry for my ignorance..

Comment

Hi
                          Ive moved over to more modern monoblocks which could do with a refurb hence the question, no more corrosion issues on our roads which get salted, would prefer this route via the stickers as originals were screen printed before clearcoated

Wheels are 8.5 x 19 Et50, not the ideal choice, et55 or 57 would have been a better choice, the 18" lm's are 18 x 8 et57 which would be just fine

The 19's look great ... cars just coming out of 1 year bare metal respray so hopefully get a chance to use it soon
                          1995 RS2 Nogaro
                          1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                          1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

Almost done...

Tommy and I paid a visit to the garage a couple of days ago and took some pics. (No guy pics! )

New wheels and overhauled calipers.. New timing belt and water pump... Steering rack leaks repaired.. CV joints refurbished.. new bushings.. etc etc etc

On the first test drive after 8 months of repairs (Of course, most of the time spent on waiting for parts...), the intercooler blew up.
                            I have 996 Turbo's intercooler and the plastic end tank has disintegrated. And the blow up also took the right-side fog light out, too!!

I will have the intercooler rebuilt with stainless steel parts. But I may have to get the Wagner intercooler soon.

Meanwhile, the Porsche logo came out fine. It's not 100% perfect, but close. I like it. I wanted to get the original 2-piece discs... Still, I am down with 964 Turbo brakes

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X