17" or 18" wheels ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17" or 18" wheels ?

So I have took my Mrs out in S2 today for the first time since fitted 15mm spacers and S8 Mk1 Avus wheels,and she said-it drive horrible and unstable.
    Now I would like to ask you guys who went from 16" to 18"+spacers -do you think your car is not as stable with big wheels as it was with small ones?
    Before I spend money on wheels refurbish and new tyres,I need to think if it's not better to go with 17"wheels.?

I never liked the drive with 18's, the ride was crashy and the tramlining was quite bad. Switched to 17's and never looked back. What's the essential offset of the wheels with the spacers?

Comment

I don't even know buddy

Comment

What size are the spacers and what is the original offset/et of the wheels?

Comment

Spacers are 15mm and et-I would have to read it of the wheels

Comment

Mk.1s are 48 I think, so 33 with the spacers, which is fine.

Usual things to check: bushes; pressures; alignment
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Question, without spacers these S8 rims won't fit?

Comment

no, not really.
                "That which does not kill our cars, makes them go faster"

Comment

No, too far inboard, and look cr*p too.

As for driving experiences, I like my 18s (2 different sets) -they do feel very planted, admittedly a bit of tramlining but not a problem. I must have softer shocks/spring setup as no harsher than on my 16s.(2 sets again!) As for my 16s they roll more -obviously-but I like ye olde fashionde road manners . But 18s have better choice for new tyre technology .
                  But I am a bit schizo about wheels. I change mine over regularly. Overall I think I prefer the original looks of 16s- whether avus or 3b. I don't have a problem with using wheelspacers either.
                  As for 17s...I have no experience

Comment

I went from 16' Avus wheels to 18' a8 sports and although it looked amazing it drove like rubbish. I've gone back to the avus wheels until I find a decent, nice set of 17s...

Comment

Originally posted by Christophski View Post
                      I went from 16' Avus wheels to 18' a8 sports and although it looked amazing it drove like rubbish. I've gone back to the avus wheels until I find a decent, nice set of 17s...
                      This is exactly how I would describe my experience with the wheels and I think this is also mine plan.See what the geometry set tomorrow will make it any better but I don't think so.Shame as I love the look of them .

Comment

Thank you lads for Sharing your experience with wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                          Mk.1s are 48 I think, so 33 with the spacers, which is fine.

Usual things to check: bushes; pressures; alignment
                          Bushes all new,pressure-OK,alignment-will see tomorrow but there is huge difference when switching from 16" to 18" so don't think alignment will be the problem

Comment

S8 mk1 8 x 18" with 225/40/18 on a B4 are bit crashy but do look great.

If you have to consider your wife a bit go with 17", maybe 235/45/17 with a final ET of 35.

If only yourself, stick with the S8 + spacers, and 225/40/18, and put up with the 'harshness' or if you can find such a thing - standard rate springs but lowered say by 30mm. But most lowered springs are unfortunately harder than the spring rate of oem springs.

16" with 225/50/16 if you have to consider your wife a lot.

Proper tracking should help with any rim size to get the best you can out of it. Use RS2 spec, certainly for the 17" rims.

If using 8 x 17" rim with an ET of 35 which may suit you the best as the best choice with the various factors that you need to take into account. With tyres of 225/45/17 or 235/45/17. The 235 being slightly more comfortable.

As regards shocks brand new oem RS2 shocks would be good, 'tight' and comfortable, but probably very dear from a dealer ? Presumable theyare Sachs or Boge so who knows re cost froma local motor factors ?

Bilstein shocks I would think with be stiffer but less expensive than dealer oem shocks.

As I understand it, the oem RS2 and S2 springs are the same, it is the shocks that are different, so RS2 ones would be a comfortable upgrade over S2 oem spec shocks.

What are the roads like that the car will be driven on all the time, as this is a very important factor in your final choice of spec ?

Hope the above throws some light on your dilemma.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                              S8 mk1 8 x 18" with 225/40/18 on a B4 are bit crashy but do look great.

If you have to consider your wife a bit go with 17", maybe 235/45/17 with a final ET of 35.

If only yourself, stick with the S8 + spacers, and 225/40/18, and put up with the 'harshness' or if you can find such a thing - standard rate springs but lowered say by 30mm. But most lowered springs are unfortunately harder than the spring rate of oem springs.

16" with 225/50/16 if you have to consider your wife a lot.

Proper tracking should help with any rim size to get the best you can out of it. Use RS2 spec, certainly for the 17" rims.

If using 8 x 17" rim with an ET of 35 which may suit you the best as the best choice with the various factors that you need to take into account. With tyres of 225/45/17 or 235/45/17. The 235 being slightly more comfortable.

As regards shocks brand new oem RS2 shocks would be good, 'tight' and comfortable, but probably very dear from a dealer ? Presumable theyare Sachs or Boge so who knows re cost froma local motor factors ?

Bilstein shocks I would think with be stiffer but less expensive than dealer oem shocks.

As I understand it, the oem RS2 and S2 springs are the same, it is the shocks that are different, so RS2 ones would be a comfortable upgrade over S2 oem spec shocks.

What are the roads like that the car will be driven on all the time, as this is a very important factor in your final choice of spec ?

Hope the above throws some light on your dilemma.

Hi and thanks for that info
                              There is no way I will stick with 16" so I think 17"will be the option.i would just like to know what ET and tyres size to go with to have the wheel as close as possible to the edge of the wheel arch (so it looks nice )
                              Roads-well I will be driving all over the UK and also to Europe so hard to say.
                              I never knew that you could use RS2 spec to set up geometry on S2
                              I have got brand new Boge shocks and stock springs and I will have to stick with this for some time.
                              Last edited by piotr; 19 July 2017, 23:23.

Comment

Working...
                              X