Best fuel for S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best fuel for S2

I am taking delivery of my S2 in 2 days time.Here in South Africa we have unleaded 95 fuel.Any suggestions about best fuel for the car or whether octane boosters advisable?

Here in the UK ive always ran my S2 on shell petrol, shell optimax @ 99 octane. It can run as standard on standard unleaded 95 octane but the ECU holds back a bit. If possible add a bottle of octane booster per tank if the higher octane fuel isnt available.

Comment

First off well done on the S2 great car.

I also have an S2 in SA and with the standard software it ran great.

Having said that I have done lots of upgrades specifically a complete RS2 spec with extras. Plus I had the ECU upgraded to stage three. (+/-285kw)

I now have an issue were I think the rubbish petrol in SA is causing the ECU to pull the timing. I think the knock sensor is picking up a knock because of crap petrol.

I did add some octane booster and it did improve the performance by about 80%. I am also in the process of purchasing some race fuel (101 oct) just to prove if I am correct in my assumption.

Comment

OK, so my 7A 20v Quattro doesn't have a turbo but I thi k I would agree with what has been said so far - 98 or 99 Ron fuel makes our cars run better. Mine is happier and smoother at high revs on higher Ron fuel. I've got mo data to back it up bit my feel is there is more power as well, it certainly 'feels' stronger. Inside my filler cap is a factory sticker which seems to recommend super rec / Premium rec / super unleaded. I can't imagine this meaning 95 Ron which is the norm...

Comment

Originally posted by orsum View Post
          First off well done on the S2 great car.

I also have an S2 in SA and with the standard software it ran great.

Having said that I have done lots of upgrades specifically a complete RS2 spec with extras. Plus I had the ECU upgraded to stage three. (+/-285kw)

I now have an issue were I think the rubbish petrol in SA is causing the ECU to pull the timing. I think the knock sensor is picking up a knock because of crap petrol.

I did add some octane booster and it did improve the performance by about 80%. I am also in the process of purchasing some race fuel (101 oct) just to prove if I am correct in my assumption.
          **** fuel (low octane) and high pressure in cylinder will definitely cause knock and ecu will cut fuel and retard ignition .you should be all good with proper fuel

Comment

Octane rating is just a measure of a fuel’s knock resistance - higher octane fuel can raise the knock threshold so the ECU is able to run more ignition advance and bring the combustion closer to MBT = more torque.
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              Octane rating is just a measure of a fuel’s knock resistance - higher octane fuel can raise the knock threshold so the ECU is able to run more ignition advance and bring the combustion closer to MBT = more torque.
              This.

Shell's posh fuel is the best by a mile in the UK as it's doesn't contain a s51t load of ethanol to up the the octane rating unlike all other fuels so is more stable, it's just decent quality petrol with some good cleaning additives, though to be honest I find my 360 BHP RS2 run's just fine on 95 Ron fuel with maybe a 5% reduction in performance whereas my 380 BHP RS2+ spec S2 hated 95 Ron fuel and felt like it was broken in comparison. It's really important that S2 knock sensors are torqued up correctly to 20 NM and the mating faces on the block are spotless before installation otherwise they will not provide the ECU with accurate data. If I was in SA stuck with 95 Ron fuel I'd just add a good quality octane booster at approximately 1.5 X times the recommend amount and buy a crate of it, using race fuel is even better but by no means a cheap option.
              Last edited by K Simmonds; 30 September 2018, 00:01.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Tesco Momentum

Comment

Momentum is my plan B if I'm not feeling rich enough for v power, I do find myself wonderimg if v power is worth the extra money, tesco stuff also works well for me.
                  (​​​I'm hiding under the chair with you ​​​​​​)

Comment

Happy to use the Tesco stuff as well.

Comment

All jokes aside I changed from V power to Momentum about 6 months ago and haven't any issues it's usually 10p a litre cheaper and runs fine

Comment

Dont know about you But in my fillercap door or What the heck it is called it says 98 Ron.
                        I only run vpower on mine. And here in dk they did Up it a bit and made it100 octane instead of 99. Dont know if that is all over the World though

Comment

Mine says 98 Ron as well. I used 100ron v power on a very memorable trip back from Switzerland a few years back. I did 100miles in 1 hour and the car was loving it.

Put momemtum in the tank this morning and it was 13p a litre cheaper. That is significant if you put 70litres in

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Uri View Post
                            I am taking delivery of my S2 in 2 days time.Here in South Africa we have unleaded 95 fuel.Any suggestions about best fuel for the car or whether octane boosters advisable?
                            Do you have E85 in South Africa? If so you could use a mix with 10L E85 and 60L 95. Should do the trick :-)

Comment

only 98

Comment

Working...
                              X