about to buy S2 - any advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about to buy S2 - any advice please

Hi all - I've joined the forum for a bit of anorak background reserach before I buy... I've had a 16v coupe for three years and at last have the finances to get an S2.

Anyone got any good tips... potential probs to look out for ? (beyond the usual service history, crash history etc)

I've seen that there's a 3B (is that right) or ABY engine - what's the difference?

I like the idea of re-chipping to get the 280 bhp - anyone have any thoughts on whether it's better to get this done myself, or just buy one that's already been done?

High mileages and turbos/20valve engines etc ... Obviously the cars I'm looking at are 12yr old plus, with 130k+ on the clock - can I expect to splash out a load on a new turbo sometime soon? do the valves all need replacing after that time ? Is a new cam belt going to be £500? Any thoughts would be great. I'm not afraid of high mileage quality cars - but they do need maintenance.

Phil
    SOLD !

Hi there, i have a nice S2 with lots done if your still looking ??? :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by philkerswell
      Anyone got any good tips...
      Check out the buyers guide at S2Central.

Ck.
      Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

The difference between a 3B and ABY is slight, but not inconsiderable. The main difference is....

3B had 220BHP and a 5 speed box. ABY had 230BHP and a 6 speed box

Its entirely up to you whether to get a standard car and modify it yourself, or buy one already modded. The advantage of getting a standard car is you know exactly what has been done and with what parts. But then again, if you can find a car that has been modded and the seller tells you everything about it, then why not. It will probably cost the same and save you thousands in parts if you were to modify to the same extent

Look at a few before you buy and try and get someone to go along with you who has experience of S2s. People on this forum are more than happy to help, so don't be afraid to ask.
        ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

at last...i'm an owner

Thanks for all your thoughts...

I bought an S2 last weekend... wow.... unmodified ABY ... black...
          SOLD !

Comment

Working...
          X