Hi, looking to buy an S2, help required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, looking to buy an S2, help required

Hi everybody, just downsizing my car at the moment so I can spend some money on the house. Have sold my 53plate mint .:R32 and looking for something cheaper to ease the pain, S2s tick all the right boxes.

I test drove one in London on Sunday, had the right spec. (prefer to have a dark colour and leather) but he forgot it was a Cat D write off until I told him after I had an HPI check done. Story was that a van had reversed into him and damaged the front end(lights,grill,bumper,rad) and the insurance com., even though it was minor damage put a Cat D on it. After arguing with them they repaired it(brilliant job) but forgot to remove the Cat D status. When I told him about the HPI check he phoned his insurance.com and they said they will remove the Cat D status from the HPI register but it will take 48hrs. After it has been cleared do I buy???? It's a ABY 1993 K plate with 107k and leather Price£5200 agreed

Tomorrow I'm off to see another ABY 1993 K plate with 69k but no leather Price£5300 but he hopefully will drop to £5100 or less.

Which one to go for, if any, is anyone on here selling, can I source a leather interior from someone or somewhere, should I have sold my .:R32????

Sorry for the long 1st post but I need help, hope to see some of you a Castle Combe in a few weeks if I get a car sorted.

Alan.

Alan,

A leather interior shouldnt be too hard to come by. as for your choices I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage it is more about the overall condition of the car. Certainly check out s2central.net the search and FAQ for common buying tips on the S2 & plumb up a boost gauge in the car to see if it is getting the right boost and also do a VAGCOM check if you can.

HTH
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

[QUOTE=Big_Al]I test drove one in London on Sunday, had the right spec. (prefer to have a dark colour and leather) but he forgot it was a Cat D write off until I told him after I had an HPI check done. Story was that a van had reversed into him and damaged the front end(lights,grill,bumper,rad) and the insurance com., even though it was minor damage put a Cat D on it. After arguing with them they repaired it(brilliant job) but forgot to remove the Cat D status. When I told him about the HPI check he phoned his insurance.com and they said they will remove the Cat D status from the HPI register but it will take 48hrs. After it has been cleared do I buy???? It's a ABY 1993 K plate with 107k and leather Price£5200 agreed

It's highly unusual for an insurance company to register a car as a Cat D write off before examining all options and being absolutely certain of their course of action.
      However, if the seller can get it taken off the register by his insurer, and you can get that confirmed by HPI people, then that's good. If he can't get Cat D removed, then it potentially halves the value of the car.
      Caveat emptor.
      Last edited by B300ABT; 20 September 2006, 09:25.

Comment

Working...
      X