Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mornin' all, I'm new (in case the post coun didn't give it away ). Anyway, my name's Matt, and I currently drive a Golf Cabrio. I'm in the process of stripping all the mods off and selling it in a reasonably standard form, so I can raise some cash for an S2 Avant.

I've had a look on the Autotrader website and found a red Avant in Bristol for a little under 4 grand. Generally looks ok, but the mileage is 162,000. This is pretty much the same as my Golf, so I'm not worried, but how much abuse would that kind of engine take (i.e. chipping, turbo upgrade etc). If I do end up getting it, I may end up getting a rebuild done at some point in the future - nothing fancy, but enough new parts to make it seem like a younger engine again. Any ideas what sort of cash that would set me back.

Sorry for all the questions. Hope to soon be able to post a 'here's my new S2' thread...

Matt
    Audi S2:

Avant! Ye scurvy landlubber...

Welcome onto the forum matt, on that mileage you will certainly need to check cambelt, boost check and clutch wear. Also if it is an early ABY or 3B it is likely it will need a metal head gasket if it is chipped since the paper ones go quite easily.

A top end rebuild shouldnt set you back too much but you can do a few searches through the forum and check the guides section which should give you an idea of what is invloved.

HTH
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Well, after looking at S2's for ages without actually having the cash to buy one, things have finally gone my way and I've gone and bought one. And here it is:

I've left a deposit and I pick it up on Sunday. The only things on the shopping list at the moment are a nice three spoke steering wheel, and a new air con hose (subject to some testing).

It's got an MTM chip, plus a 310mm brake upgrade using URS6/Audi TT bits. I flippin' love it!

Expect more pics and whole load of questions after I've picked it up.
      Audi S2:

Avant! Ye scurvy landlubber...

Comment

Welcome to 'the club'! Sounds like the brakes have already been sorted, if you're going to push for more power you'd probably want to sort the suspension too - at least just the RS2 ARBs to eliminate body roll. Then look at power

High mileage isn't a problem on these motors if looked after, my Coupe (RIP) was pushing about 300bhp at 150k before it's rebuild which is the absolute limit on stock turbo. No smoke, minimal oil consumption.

The cost of power upgrades will depend vastly on how much work you can do yourself, but a best start is to search back and see the route you wanna take and start collecting parts as they become available. 375bhp/550nm is obtainable with the "RS2 setup", expect to rebuild with some uprated components if you want to push higher.
        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Working...
        X