thinkin about buyin an s2 =)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinkin about buyin an s2 =)

alrite there people just recently blown my RS turbo to peices no more than 3000 miles after i had rebuilt the engine due to fitting a new actuator to try and solve a boost problem and the vacuum hose came off at around 5k rpm causing it to overboost ending up in two bent rods, sooooo now im saving up for a new car and been lookin for somethin very quick for not much money and its down to a 300zx TT or an s2, prefer the idea of an s2 as i almost killed meself in me last 300zx when i hit a wall sideways at around 80mph only still here coz i didnt have me seat belt on and i was thrown clear of the car before it exploded (yes i have pix as it was in the sun the next day ) unluckily for me after exiting the car via my door after it was ripped open large chunks of the wall i had hit decided to play an unwanted game of "pile on" that pinned me to a kerb and took quite a while for the firebrigade to remove and the whole time im lyin there thinkin "wtf just happened???!!!!" anyways enuf of me im here to find out things like reliability of engine and drivetrain etc after mild tuning e.g. bigger injectors,turbo,intercooler etc and how much can a standard engine take before the bottom end needs uprating? i know these questions have probably been answered already somewhere so am just hopin somebody can point me in the rite direction cheers

Search button beckons my geordie chum, welcome to the forum! its generally accepted that a standard mill and a good chip will make 280 good as gold and i am sure others will chip in but mid 300 is still reliable with standard bottom end.

However the first priority, if it hasn't been done already is big *** brakes, cos the standard ones are sheait
    Ragusa Coupe gone!
    sigpic
    VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
    VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
    vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

i was hopin to hear that, i've seen a couple with around 350bhp with not very many mods so when i get one hopefully not very long after it should be running around this much, is it true a standard s2 will hit 0-60 in 5.7 secs and top out at 154mph? or have i been told the igures from the rs2?

Comment

Most guys on here with near standard cars are seeing 0-60 on the strip of 6 seconds, thats without killing the clutch and gearbox. A chipped one with about 280 does 5.5ish easy. Not sure about top speed but been told paul who does the homefries on here ditches the speed limit built in to the ecu which i think is 155 so who knows!

The high powered boys are obviously in a much better position to comment after that but i find em pretty good fun considering their understated look.
        Ragusa Coupe gone!
        sigpic
        VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
        VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
        vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

i take it homefries is somekind of chip/remap done at home?

Comment

Originally posted by geordie_liam
            i almost killed meself in me last 300zx when i hit a wall sideways at around 80mph
            Hmm, so I'm not the only one that's been playing this game recently... don't think I was doing 80 but according to mr Plod i was doing a very good portion... probably a good idea I don't remember it.

In short, the S2 is a safe machine, as most will tell you it's completely outta character for it to go sideways and I'm sure that the apalling conditions on the night of the accident and the fact the corner has a reputation with the police as one that regularly sees ppl go straight on

The fact I'm here writing this is a testament to the build quality of the Audi, I've had a good mull over the car now and although it is completely trashed I can honestly say I'd have not wanted to be in the likes of a hot-hatch...

As mentioned, have a search on the forum as there's many project threads that make great reading and will give you an idea as to what can be done with the S2... and don't forget the sound of the I5 will chill your spine

Cheers
            Ross
            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

thinkin about buyin ans2

Check the 0-60 4.31 vid link on Doug RS_2 (search member list) that did it for me ! ******************Dont blink or you will miss it***********************
              S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

Originally posted by geordie_liam
                i take it homefries is somekind of chip/remap done at home?
                Aye that'll be mine - dunno quite I coined the term 'home fries' but its a well tried and tested, affordable software only upgrade for an ABY engined S2 that adds about 50bhp and 50Nm to the factory spec. I've done about fifty of these now around the world ! Do a search here and you'll find some users on this forum.

The S2 is a real 'sleeper' with massive tuning potential (if your wallet and your underpants permit). Simple bolt on upgrades can get you above 350bhp with 500-550Nm (and more) torque available to boot. More complex turbo upgrades (Garret/KKK hybrids usually) can get you into 450bhp and way beyond if you want to go there. Such monster conversions generally involve bottom end upgrades but you'll find a heatlthy stock engine will happily take 500Nm all day long.

Paul
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                X