Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers Paul

Comment

I got a full set of 6 pieces for £230 for my coupe. Can't remember the sellers name but it was an ebay trader from Germany. Undercut TPS by Miles. Top tip - DO NOT just fit them or else they will go belly up again soon. If you get a new set you will see the steel insert in the rubber is visible in places at the end and this is where the corrosion starts that leads to them peeling. I used plastidip on mine on the back to seal it all up. Too early to tell how well it works but exposed steel plus water is a clear recipe for disaster. Well, not really a disaster but an expensive easily solved blemish.

Comment

Hi Steve, thanks for the very useful tip.

Comment

Welcome...looking tidy and those wheels always work nicely on the green i think
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Update on TPS's availability:
            On the fronts, there are 10 in the UK @ £80.46 inc VAT
            Front edge clips available @ £4.19
            On the rears, my local TPS (Lincoln) actually had 2 of each side on the shelf but forgot to ask how many in there are in UK @ £47.96
            So not quite as cheap as getting them from ebay.de but not a million miles off.

I'm only replacing the NS front at this stage - I'll live with the slight defects on the others for now and try to stay out of any more beasts from the east. My routine of removing them regularly and keeping them clean seems to keep them straight enough...

Steve - like your idea of plastic paint. I was just going to waxoyl them but black paint might look tidier on the rear edge of the door ones. I'll deliberate once I've picked it up from TPS tomorrow.

Comment

If you use the plastidip I'd recommend getting their primer as well - the info on their website states that on its own PD does a good job of sealing stuff from moisture but can still be peeled off. The primer on first makes it pretty much permanent and on the back and end of the strip it won't get to much grief in service! It's actually quite a nice semi matt finish when dry, you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between PD and rubber. Well worth it on new strips at the cost and no doubt dwindling availability...

Comment

pics. spot the shiny bit
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Yup - looks good Steve. However, the one I've bought looks to be rather well finished in the vulnerable area and may not need anything. I wonder if they've improved the manufacturing? Like I said, a few years ago, these strips were bloody hard to find but now they're awash with them. I wonder if VAG ordered a batch from a different supplier than previously used and quality has improved?

Note for those that may choose TPS to source them in the UK - I managed to get 8% trade discount by stocking up on longlife 3 oil for my VW B7 TDi which was on promo (£17/5l). That narrows the gap to Germany sourced one's even further!

Comment

Working...
                  X