Newbie - Decided I should get an S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - Decided I should get an S2

Hi everyone, I hope you're doing well and are enjoying the holidays.

I'm a big fan of AWD, and especially love cars with a rally heritage or luxury-sport coupes AWDs. Originally I planned to get a Subaru SVX, but I realize that especially here in continental Europe, it would be a challenge to deal with parts and repairs. After mulling over alternatives, I fell in love with the Audi S2.

Now I've decided to get a later year S2 coupe, something affordable that perhaps needs some work and care that can be done over time. My idea would be to drive it through the continent to take it home and then get to work on fixing it up.

Thanks for offering this forum, it's stepping into a very interesting world. I hope to make some contributions in the near future

Hello mate.Great decision to go for S2 as they are lovely cars but when you say about challenge to deal with parts and repairs ,i suggest you should rethink your decision. I don't want to put you off but sometimes when I hear again that part is NLA or price is just stupid I'm not 100%sure I still decide to buy S2 if I could go back in time .But they really are nice cars .

Comment

Yes I think Peter is right about running a older motor and
      the often used phrase NLA . Although I love the comments about the S2 from people when I'm out in it . It can be a labour of love sometimes. So long as your aware you may have to hunt for parts. Having said that someone on the forum can usually advise you on a good place to get the parts you require. The S2 is a great car I don't think your regret owning one. Good luck with your quest. Regards Ly
      Last edited by LSG; 26 December 2018, 14:37.

Comment

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. Are there any parts in particular you've personally had the most trouble finding?
        I'm prepared to do some work for it, that's for sure. It's an older vehicle after all. Though I figured that finding parts for an S2 would be more possible than an SVX - at least here in Europe.

Comment

find a good car with all the parts attached. if you keep it stock it wont be so bad in money. updating it will take a lot of money...

Comment

Loved my S2 more than any other car I've owned, but unlikely to ever get another due to rising price to PITA ratio.

I'd recommend getting one if you could:
            A - Afford a good example. I think buying one that needs a lot of work is huge false economy with these cars. They're not like normal 90's projects. What are we talking, 9-10k nowadays? That's up fivefold since I bought mine not all that long ago. Spares can be insane prices or literally impossible to find.
            B - If you can't do the above then you shouldn't depend on it being your daily or only car.
            C - Be prepared for the car to dominate your life. Days, weeks, months researching and finding parts. I loved it at the time, and might again, but couldn't do it just now. I just need something that doesn't have the potential to be a massive pain in the *** at zero notice, I've got the wife for that (I joke....).

FWIW, with the above in mind, I drive an Impreza. It's a ****ing horrible car, but I couldn't sanely justify an S2 until I can afford to spend 10k on a 2nd car. Even then it's a 25 year old car with associated wear/faults, and just over 200bhp. It's a great car, but a hard sell without the rose tints on.

Comment

What about the regular Audi 80 Quattro coupes? Are parts difficult to find for these too or are the differences negligible?

Comment

I think quite a bits been mentioned on this thread but I have now owned my S2 Coupe for 18 years and have never ever regretted buying it. These days I would never use it as my everyday car simply because there are too many idiots on the road so it remains as my 3rd car in the garage which I know am lucky to have that option. Parts are hard to come by but if you ask on this great forum somebody is more than likely to point you in the right direction. They are still fast cars even by today's standards and mine is standard power at 230bhp and still puts a huge smile on my face. Good luck with what you decide and as mentioned already again the number of glances and people coming over to you to talk about our cars is just incredible especially now they are so rare. My advice is go and get one!!!

Comment

To be fair service parts are not difficult to source.
                  Getting an 80,90 or Coupe with quattro drivetrain could be a better introduction ?...……..but still very capable cars.

Comment

Save little bit more money and go for RS4 Mk1

Comment

Spend less an go for a b5 s4

Comment

Originally posted by piotr View Post
                        Save little bit more money and go for RS4 Mk1
                        And then a bit more on turbos and cams and a lot more on usual consumables
                        F I R E U P T H E Q U A T T R O

1996 S2 coupe aqua green sold
                        1990 MK2 Golf gti 16v oak green sold

Comment

Originally posted by AquaS2 View Post

And then a bit more on turbos and cams and a lot more on usual consumables
                          Yes but it's a fantastic car

Comment

They are amazing cars- it's the character that they possess....yes I know a lot of folk who love different old marques will say that of their own choice, but I've had a lot of old 80s and 90s cars and the Audis of that period are addictive.
                            If you are handy with spanners and sussed in seeking out parts then you'll be fine.
                            Good luck in searching for a car!!

Comment

If done right , and with correct setup, nothing beats the I5 20v turbo for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X