Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New S2 Avant Owner!

Hello folks,

Bought my first S2 from a fellow forum member just a few weeks ago - had initially seen the car just after buying a b4 v6 80 sedan and signing up to the classic audi forum. I've wanted an S2 for a long time but considering the fluctuating prices I thought a decent one would be a bit out of my budget so went for a (sort of) cheap 80 - which I originally wanted to get looking a bit like an S2 - but still very much a stop gap to the real deal. So yeh, when I seen this lovely panther black S2 avant only 20 miles up the road - I had to have it!

Been a big audi fan for a long time and owned an 8l S3 for the past 8 years - which I still have - but sadly someone mounted the kerb, through the bushes into a car park and hit the side. Not terminal, but still a right pain. Car was sorned and un-insured at the time and nobody seems to have seen it happen. Will hopefully have it fixed up and for sale in the next few weeks though - so more funds for the S2!

The S2 is in good nick - but a few things to sort.

The front wings both have corrosion and the driver's side front and rear doors have some corrosion starting to peer out from the lower trims. It seems mostly surface rust so hoping to sort that out soon. Dealer quoted £250 for a pair of front wings so will probably just replace them while getting the rest done.

Windscreen has some de-lamination so it'll be a replacement screen unfortunately. Though it really doesn't bother me so much just now so this is something I'll get to eventually once everything else is sorted - though dreading the idea of a botched replacement through insurance...

The fuel tank shield is badly corroded so this will need replaced - not totally sure what I'll do here as parts are NLA so will either attempt to make something myself or take it somewhere to get done. (Recommendations welcome!)

Other than that it's mainly little things like a new rear badge, new sunroof seal, and generally tidy little bits up.

There will be more things I'm sure given that it's a 26 year old car but keen to get stuck in and learn as much as I can. My experience working on cars is mainly just servicing, replacing discs/pads, the basic stuff - though have done a few other jobs on the S3 - but am in a better position now to get more involved so that's what I hope to do. I'm sure this place will be an invaluable place of knowledge!

I'm over the moon with the car though - and can't wait to get it mint. I absolutely love the original 5 spoke alloys - never really been a fan of polished alloys - but really look great on the car. And considering it's completely standard it definitely feels quick - quicker than the S3 for sure.

Anyway, been lurking these forums for a while, so glad to be joining with my very own S2!

Steve

Here's a few pics to get going :

Attached Files
    93 S2 Avant - SOLD
    94 80 V6 Saloon
    00 S3 8L - SOLD

Welcome , lovely car , I have polished 3b alloys as well , they are the best looking oem wheel by far

Comment

Welcome Steve.
      I also have an S2 Avant. It's been a restoration project I took on 16 months ago. Coincidentally, I also have a S3!
      Yours looks great and I'm sure you have read the restoration thread on it here. The last owner is a clever guy and appears to have done a very good job getting it back together. There are lots of knowledgeable people on the forum and always willing to help. Don't be shy to ask.
      You can get genuine Audi wings from your local dealer for about £100 plus vat each. Avoid pattern parts at all costs. My tank guard was rusty as well. If its not too bad, you can fabricate a new bottom section and weld in, otherwise keep an eye on ebay as 80 avants pop up being broken from time to time. These cars are not too difficult to work on, I'm sure you will enjoy
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Well done in your purchase, I have an S2 Avant too, where are you located in the uk. Many of us are spread out and do not always get chance to meet up.
        good luck with your project, just take your time with each job and its surprising how you can tick the jobs off your list.

Comment

Hi Steve nice S2 Avant looks in good condition and also a nice S3 beside it as you know we love photos on this forum!!!

Comment

The tanks plastic, it will just be either the straps or the cover thats rusting.

Wings are the same as lower model avant/saloons but different to the coupe. From memory I think its the third bolt from the front of the wing at the top normally spins when undoing, remove the inner liner and put some vice grips on it and you will be able to remove it then without grinding it off.

Comment

Steve, really pleased this car has stayed up this neck o’ the world..... I bet you are too!!?
              Will likely meet you at one of Colin’s Classic Audi meets or maybe you’re up for “Anthony’s Grand Tour”!?

Comment

Originally posted by simons2 View Post
                Welcome , lovely car , I have polished 3b alloys as well , they are the best looking oem wheel by far
                Thanks - Always liked the avus alloys as well but have to agree now that I have the polished 3b ones

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                Welcome Steve.
                I also have an S2 Avant. It's been a restoration project I took on 16 months ago. Coincidentally, I also have a S3!
                Yours looks great and I'm sure you have read the restoration thread on it here. The last owner is a clever guy and appears to have done a very good job getting it back together. There are lots of knowledgeable people on the forum and always willing to help. Don't be shy to ask.
                You can get genuine Audi wings from your local dealer for about £100 plus vat each. Avoid pattern parts at all costs. My tank guard was rusty as well. If its not too bad, you can fabricate a new bottom section and weld in, otherwise keep an eye on ebay as 80 avants pop up being broken from time to time. These cars are not too difficult to work on, I'm sure you will enjoy
                Thanks for the tips Dave - I'm sure I'll be needing lots of help along the way. Yeh, reading through the thread on the car helped my decision to purchase for sure. As I mentioned I'm keen to learn but not quite ready to tackle engine out jobs just yet A lot of the bigger stuff has been done already so the rest is stuff I can tinker away with while style enjoying driving the car. Read through your entire restoration thread so looking forward to seeing it finished - inspiring stuff

​​​​​​​

93 S2 Avant - SOLD
                94 80 V6 Saloon
                00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by quattro estate View Post
                  Well done in your purchase, I have an S2 Avant too, where are you located in the uk. Many of us are spread out and do not always get chance to meet up.
                  good luck with your project, just take your time with each job and its surprising how you can tick the jobs off your list.
                  Thanks! I'm in Glasgow - will hopefully get the chance to meet other folks on here at some point. Will do - cheers
                  93 S2 Avant - SOLD
                  94 80 V6 Saloon
                  00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
                    Hi Steve nice S2 Avant looks in good condition and also a nice S3 beside it as you know we love photos on this forum!!!
                    Thanks anthony. Cracking S2 you have as well! Loving your NC500 pics - so much so that I've planned a similar 5 day trip with my girlfriend next month! I've been going up to Achmelvich every year for the past 6 years but haven't ever got round to doing the full route yet.

Depending on time off I may join for the trip you're arranging as well
                    93 S2 Avant - SOLD
                    94 80 V6 Saloon
                    00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
                      The tanks plastic, it will just be either the straps or the cover thats rusting.

Wings are the same as lower model avant/saloons but different to the coupe. From memory I think its the third bolt from the front of the wing at the top normally spins when undoing, remove the inner liner and put some vice grips on it and you will be able to remove it then without grinding it off.
                      Yeh - the strap is badly corroded but replacement part for that is still available for around 50 euro so will get that ordered. The shield/protection plate is split in half and can be heard rattling around at low speed. It's the one that runs up to the where the filler cap is.

Phoned Audi Glasgow and they want £125 per wing which seems reasonable but will keep and aye out on eBay as well. They're not actually that bad so may just get the ones on the car repaired. And thanks for the tips on removal
                      93 S2 Avant - SOLD
                      94 80 V6 Saloon
                      00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Cheers John - I certainly am! Yeh, I'll definitely try to get along to one of the classic audi meets and would love to go on Anthony's grand tour if I can get the time off
                        93 S2 Avant - SOLD
                        94 80 V6 Saloon
                        00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Steve770 View Post

Yeh - the strap is badly corroded but replacement part for that is still available for around 50 euro so will get that ordered.
                          You can get stainless ones, I fitted a set to my old estate...….they were a good fit except one needed a spacer where it bolted on.

Comment

Working...
                          X