Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from San Diego, CA - 1990 CQ restomod

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing here since I picked up my CQ back in late 2014. It was a total basket case with a number of issues and half-completed interior swap (tan to black) at the time. I did a bunch of work right out of the gate (all new control arms, bushings, calipers, rotors, pads, springs, shocks, tie rods/ends, tires, clutch slave, electrical work) and then let it sit for a long time as I worked on other projects.

The herd is starting to thin to free up time and resources, so I'm focusing on the plan for the motor build next as I wrap up the interior work and get the exterior ready for paint. I've already swapped the B4 hood and RS 2 headlights, as well as euro cabrio bumpers I sourced from the UK to get rid of the ugly US-spec bodywork.

The goal is a high-revving 500hp-ish turbo 7A with an 0A3 6spd out of a B7 RS 4 (I've already got that trans sitting here in my garage). Knowing me, it'll probably take until the end of 2021 or longer, but gotta start somewhere and sometime, right?

Currently, the plan is to keep the 7A block and crank, throw in a set of scat or pauter rods, JE pistons, coated main and rod bearings, 034 solid lifters and valve springs in the 7A head, an EFR or Xona turbo, FMIC, and standalone engine management to run E85. I don't really know how high the 7A cam wants to rev, but I'm hoping to get close to an 8K RPM redline, so I'd assume a custom grind might be in order. Manifolds and specific fueling components are TBD, but I'd like to keep AC and power steering in this thing.

I've owned 13 Audis over the years; and my first was a 1994 90 S (yeah, FWD, last time I made that mistake) back in 2004, and I had passed up a Coupe Quattro that needed minor work at the time and have regretted it ever since, hence why reviving this CQ is important to me.

My Audi fleet has included 3x B5 A4s, 3x B5 S4s, 2x B7 RS 4s, a B8.5 RS 5, a C5 RS 6, and currently a Gen1 R8 V10. The only street-going Audis I have now are this CQ and the R8. The rest of the garage is rounded out with a 914 for sunny days, 987 Cayman S for mountain runs, an E36 M3 and C6 Z06 for HPDE duty, and a B5 A4 1.8tqm and an E28 535i for Lemons/Chump Car racing.

Internal motor work doesn't scare me off as I've pulled apart my LS7 twice, rebuilt a few M30 bottom ends for the Lemons BMWs, and rebuilt the valvetrain on my S52 when the head gasket blew and cracked the head.

The goal with this car is something looking OEM+ while packing a nice punch. I just sold my 425whp B5 S4 Avant and need something to replace that turbo fun. I don't intend to drag race this car much, if ever, but I do love a high-revving motor and the trans is geared for an 8K+ RPM lump.

I'm sure I'll be peppering you all with questions about manifolds, valvetrains, and drivetrains (oh my), so thanks in advance for sharing your wealth of knowledge! I know very, very little about these platforms but am hoping to change that in the near future as this project finally comes to fruition.

Starting point:
    IMG_8069 (1).JPG

Current status:
    IMG_20170131_211020 (1).jpg

Still a long way to go, clearly, but let's get to it!

-Tim
    Last edited by CQSDCA; 26 March 2020, 20:00.

Hello and . Lot off cars in your stable how do you make time for work on the CQ. Good luck with it Lynn

Comment

Well, I haven't found the time to work on it much; it's been in storage since the end of 2017. I'll be buttoning up the work I have left to do on the 987 and C6 over the coming few weeks so I can finally focus on the CQ.

Comment

Hello that’s some collection of motors. Am a big fan of the c5 RS6 do you have any pics??

Comment

The RS6 has been gone a couple years now (the new owner actually has it up for sale right now, ironically) but I do still miss it. The effortless torque was awesome. It had a full GMG exhaust, upgraded intercoolers, and a GIAC tune. The 5HP24A auto trans was a let down, though. Definitely deserved a manual trans, dual-clutch, or a more modern 8-spd auto.

IMG_20170531_163054.jpg
          IMG_20170213_173838_535.jpg

Comment

Very interesting! I'm currently rebuilding a 91 CQ myself. I'm keeping it generally stock though, as my 10vt 80q is my "fun car".

Comment

Originally posted by CQSDCA View Post
              The RS6 has been gone a couple years now (the new owner actually has it up for sale right now, ironically) but I do still miss it. The effortless torque was awesome. It had a full GMG exhaust, upgraded intercoolers, and a GIAC tune. The 5HP24A auto trans was a let down, though. Definitely deserved a manual trans, dual-clutch, or a more modern 8-spd auto.

IMG_20170531_163054.jpg
              IMG_20170213_173838_535.jpg
              Holy Moses!!! Yeah that’s a nice looking RS6 in my opinion still the best RS6 made despite its flaws.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing here since I picked up my CQ back in late 2014. It was a total basket case with a number of issues and half-completed interior swap (tan to black) at the time. I did a bunch of work right out of the gate (all new control arms, bushings, calipers, rotors, pads, springs, shocks, tie rods/ends, tires, clutch slave, electrical work) and then let it sit for a long time as I worked on other projects.

The herd is starting to thin to free up time and resources, so I'm focusing on the plan for the motor build next as I wrap up the interior work and get the exterior ready for paint. I've already swapped the B4 hood and RS 2 headlights, as well as euro cabrio bumpers I sourced from the UK to get rid of the ugly US-spec bodywork.

The goal is a high-revving 500hp-ish turbo 7A with an 0A3 6spd out of a B7 RS 4 (I've already got that trans sitting here in my garage). Knowing me, it'll probably take until the end of 2021 or longer, but gotta start somewhere and sometime, right?

Currently, the plan is to keep the 7A block and crank, throw in a set of scat or pauter rods, JE pistons, coated main and rod bearings, 034 solid lifters and valve springs in the 7A head, an EFR or Xona turbo, FMIC, and standalone engine management to run E85. I don't really know how high the 7A cam wants to rev, but I'm hoping to get close to an 8K RPM redline, so I'd assume a custom grind might be in order. Manifolds and specific fueling components are TBD, but I'd like to keep AC and power steering in this thing.

I've owned 13 Audis over the years; and my first was a 1994 90 S (yeah, FWD, last time I made that mistake) back in 2004, and I had passed up a Coupe Quattro that needed minor work at the time and have regretted it ever since, hence why reviving this CQ is important to me.

My Audi fleet has included 3x B5 A4s, 3x B5 S4s, 2x B7 RS 4s, a B8.5 RS 5, a C5 RS 6, and currently a Gen1 R8 V10. The only street-going Audis I have now are this CQ and the R8. The rest of the garage is rounded out with a 914 for sunny days, 987 Cayman S for mountain runs, an E36 M3 and C6 Z06 for HPDE duty, and a B5 A4 1.8tqm and an E28 535i for Lemons/Chump Car racing.

Internal motor work doesn't scare me off as I've pulled apart my LS7 twice, rebuilt a few M30 bottom ends for the Lemons BMWs, and rebuilt the valvetrain on my S52 when the head gasket blew and cracked the head.

The goal with this car is something looking OEM+ while packing a nice punch. I just sold my 425whp B5 S4 Avant and need something to replace that turbo fun. I don't intend to drag race this car much, if ever, but I do love a high-revving motor and the trans is geared for an 8K+ RPM lump.

I'm sure I'll be peppering you all with questions about manifolds, valvetrains, and drivetrains (oh my), so thanks in advance for sharing your wealth of knowledge! I know very, very little about these platforms but am hoping to change that in the near future as this project finally comes to fruition.

Starting point:
                IMG_8069 (1).JPG

Current status:
                IMG_20170131_211020 (1).jpg

Still a long way to go, clearly, but let's get to it!

-Tim
                This bumper wont clear much IC. You will need an S2 or V6 bumper or RS2
                sigpic

Comment

Why do you plan to go with solid lifters? OEM (not the lightweight ones) should be good up to 8500 rpm and won't require so much maintenance.
                  Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                  2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                  2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                  1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                  1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Oh, good to know. I thought these things were maxed out just north of 7k. I'd prefer to keep hydraulic if I can reliably get 8500 out of them.

Comment

That is quite a collection! Good luck with the new project. Interested to see what work is involved in swapping the gearbox too.
                      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Oh, good to know. I thought these things were maxed out just north of 7k. I'd prefer to keep hydraulic if I can reliably get 8500 out of them.
                        By memory the max rpm for both the oil pump and OEM lifters is 8500, and I think most people cap it at 8k just to be safe.
                        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                        2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                        2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                        1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                        1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Working...
                        X