Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back after 10 years...

Hi all,

It has been more than 10 years since I’ve been on here - my previous account has probably been deleted: S2 PTH.
    I sold my Green ‘96 S2 in 2008 (N660 CYD - still alive?) and my ‘85 coupe quattro around a year later (C500 BYL - must be dead...)

I’m sorry to say that I went over to the dark side of an E39 M5 / E46 320d / E91 335d in the meantime, but have been living and working for an OEM in China for the last 4 years. Albeit stuck in Munich now working on a project, since it’s convenient for my company not to get me back during Covid19.

So, I have decided treat myself to a returning present when I get back to the UK in about a year, and to commission a Sport quattro conversion of two donor 1985 Coupe’s (my year of birth also...). I will need a lot of help and advice!

First two big questions:

1. body work. I’ve seen and read many posts of SQ conversions but have not yet found anything specific as to the similarities and differences of a CQ and SQ. is there a simple blog or forum post showing them? (I know about the 320mm cut and shut from behind the B-pillar, different windscreen rake, miriad of extra body panels and obvious front end differences)

2. Engine. The target is 500bhp/ 6-700Nm. Do I start with the non turbo CQ and “modify somewhat” or ditch it and start from a differnt 5-cylinder base?

1000 more questions lined up for the future, but that’s the main things I am thinking about right now.

The project will be a 2-year ordeal, and the budget spreadsheet will be under lock and key, hidden from my girlfriend.
    My Dad is returning a Triumph Stag to concors condition and is too scared to tally it up!

Cheers!

Phil
    ...ever since I floored you I knew that I loved you!

Sounds a lovely plan, will you change the windscreen rake and fit a correct pre UR screen? That would be absolutely amazing

Comment

Originally posted by HAR51S View Post
      The project will be a 2-year ordeal, and the budget spreadsheet will be under lock and key, hidden from my girlfriend.
      My Dad is returning a Triumph Stag to concors condition and is too scared to tally it up!

Cheers!

Phil
      The lock and key will be required, prices have gone up since you was on here last.

4k upwards for a coupe quattro
      6k upwards for a s2

(prices are probably on the low side)

Comment

Originally posted by UUUdirs2newcastle View Post
        Sounds a lovely plan, will you change the windscreen rake and fit a correct pre UR screen? That would be absolutely amazing
        Yep- I have been reading up about that! If I can source the screen, and there is some info about how to mount it, i.e:
        - the new angle to tilt the A pillars.
        - whether the bottom of the windscreen moves backwards (extending the bonnet), or the top of the windscreen moves forwards (extending the roof line)
        - what to do about the doors (assume it’s too much hassle to cut up the coupe doors to fit).

I would prefer to spend more money/time getting it “more right” so that I can still enjoy it when I’m much older. Rather than always grimacing at “that mistake” I made early on in the decision making, when an anorak comments about some major difference!

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post

The lock and key will be required, prices have gone up since you was on here last.

4k upwards for a coupe quattro
          6k upwards for a s2

(prices are probably on the low side)
          Yes...well luckily I have the coupe donor cars now.

Engine stuff kinda worries me, again “where to start” in terms of the 5-cylinder base.

And I was looking at prices of S2’s and E39 M5’s recently. I sold my tidy 1996 S2 at 98k (+ Porsche front brakes, spare set of S8 wheels) for £5,800 in 2008. And my 2001 M5 at 103k (+6pot Mperf front brakes) for £7,200 in 2014!
          Oh the decisions we make...

Comment

Lol, benefits of hingsight. But often there are good reasons for it at the time. Welcome back. Your S2 PTH account is still up and working if you want to merge the accounts. Drop me a PM with the hotmail address you used and i'll merge them back to S2 PTH for you or vice versa
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
              Lol, benefits of hingsight. But often there are good reasons for it at the time. Welcome back. Your S2 PTH account is still up and working if you want to merge the accounts. Drop me a PM with the hotmail address you used and i'll merge them back to S2 PTH for you or vice versa
              Ah cheers Greg- I remember your username!

PM sending now

Comment

Working...
              X