Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resurfaced S2 2.8 V6, I will need your Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurfaced S2 2.8 V6, I will need your Help!

Hi all, and thank you very much for allowing me into the forum, if its anything like the other forums i am involved with i'm sure its a madhouse, but with all the right characters and knowledge we all need with our ageing beauties!

First off, its not actually my car, but i know the power and usefulness of a dedicated forum, so here I am!

I have been drafted in to assist with the potential project as i already have done with this guys other cars, usually italian stallions, mainly Alfa's, which i am much better known for personally.

However, a friend of his revealed his long time owned and stood 1994/5 M S2 2.8e, announcing that the garage/car port was going to be needed for another project, and so this would have to move on.

My friend has bought it and had it transported to his place, and I'm already pricing the bits'nbobs for recommissioning the brakes, suspension, etc etc

Its been stood and off the road for 13 years, but was returned to starting and running last year before lockdown 1 hit and prevented any further progress, and that's pretty much where we're at today.

She's a solid thing, especially compared to what i'm used to starting with on 70s and 80's Italian steel, but i'm sure i will need plenty of advice and tips alongs the way, should we decide to go the whole hog with her.

So thank you again, and i hope to speak to you clever clogs much more in the near future.

cheers

Shrew

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Welcome Shrew

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you don't have an S2 there. Nice car but the S2 only came with the straight 5 turbo.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by PETR0LHEAD View Post
        She's a solid thing, ........should we decide to go the whole hog with her.
        They tend to be pretty rust free, have you been underneath it...the rear subframe is where I'd hope would be nice!

Comment

Ah, I see.

I thought the 2.8v6 was released into the S2 after a couple of years, my bad, you see, I should stick to my Italian stuff!

I guessI'm in the wrong forum then, can you recommend where I should be for advice and tips related to the 2.8e?

And what exactly IS the model designation?

Comment

You are still welcome here. Plenty here have other Audi's and we can offer advice. The quattro running gear is almost identical and there are many identical parts between your car and the S2. The main difference is the engine and a few trim parts, white clocks etc.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Oh, OK.

I was going off the owners description, and if I recall, the owners manual was titled S2 and covered the 2.8e aswell, but could be wrong.

So what exactly do I call it whilst ringing round for bits?

Comment

Welcome sir,

It's a Coupe! And it is certainly S2-ish enough chassis-wise so no, not nearly the wrong forum at all. Just think of the V6 as the Coupe's under-appreciated alternate engine; which doesn't require artificial respiration! Here's some suggested reading to get you started (and some of it to prevent you from getting caught by its' (relative to S2's, IMHO) few foibles).

Start with link no.1 from the list at the bottom of this post:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...imer-resources

Comment

Its full description is a B4 Audi 80 Coupe 2.8e quattro
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Hello and to the forum

Comment

Have a search for a project thats running at the moment, cant remember the title but its by steve stone who is returning an s2 to the road after being stood for a similar amount of time. You might get an idea of the things that can crop up on body and running gear and sources to fix.

You need to decide how thorough a job you are going to target - steve is going to town on his and putting a LOT of effort in. By all means go for show standard but it won't be worth the money spent getting there, but it will be worth the satisfaction of doing it.

Comment

Thanks all, at least I know what I'll be working on.

My first appraisal is pretty concurrent with what I've read are the usual foibles for this age model.

The body on the top side is very good and solid, just some minor frilly bits to the front arches, and the odd blister thankfully held back to minimum by the mostly galvanised body I assume.

The rear subframe looks to be the worst affected part of the car, but from what I've seen so far, nothing that can't be blasted, reinforced, powder coated to better than original, unless there are some serious issue's on the top side where I haven't seen yet.

However, Don't forget I usually do older Alfa, Fiat, Lancia, so there's nothing scarey about a mid 90s Audi!

The rest of it will be recommissioning of the brakes, suspension, full engine service etc , and prep for respray.

That is unless, someone tempts the project away from him first!

Now word is out about it, it seems to have drummed up some interest.

It's certainly been a while since I've seen one on the streets of Nottinghamshire, but what are the values like as a rough guide?

Comment

At that age you will most likely find the subframe bushes totally shot, so definitely budget for them.

The rust on the back corner suggests it has been hit at the back at some point, extra faded paint also suggests this, make sure the panel was fitted correctly as a few on here have found they often aren't, and leak badly(!). Also clean out scuttle and re-seal if necessary, another favourite place for them to leak into the cabin. Check fusebox for rust.

Probably heater core, dash out job. Fix illumination bulbs while you are there.

I recommissioned mine after 4 years in a hedge, some of the images are gone, but the words are all here: https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...on-of-my-cq20v

Photos start around page 8.

Comment

And 're values, not as much as they should be! There was a 2.8 Coupe Quattro for sale up in Scotland 18 months ago. Good running condition with mot. It sold for £500 iirc.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Welcome...Nice car especially that it's a quattro. Everything you need to know about the engine can be found at www.12v.org...

Comment

Working...
                              X