New S2 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New S2 owner

Thanks for welcoming me to the S2 forum. I am just about to pick up my 1992 S2, however, it has done 204k miles and last had a cam belt change at 189k but 7 years ago and I was looking for advice as to what I should do.
    I will change the cam belt, however, is there anything else I should do?
    Thanks, Howard

Welcome to the forum. If you are doing the cambelt, I would replace the water pump, idler pulley and the crank pulley as the OE item is known to fail. This may have been replaced in the past with an aftermarket item, so check before purchasing. The cam pulley is rather fragile too, so watch you hold it still if removing. I would also do the cam oil seal and oil pump/crank oil seal if I had it all in bits. Rocker cover gasket set while you're at it. You will need a big 3/4" torque wrench to tighten the crank bolt and a locking tool for the front pulley/vibration damper. Send some pics of the car when you get it. It's likely to have appeared on the forum at some stage and previous owners may be able to supply some history, etc.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Full service including brake fluid, gearbox and diff oils and new anti freeze. I would recommend getting one of Chef's bottom pulley's. Only use good quality parts. SKF water pump, Gates belt.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

200K miles is just run in for an S2 motor
        91 Modded 3B

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post

Full service including brake fluid, gearbox and diff oils and new anti freeze. I would recommend getting one of Chef's bottom pulley's. Only use good quality parts. SKF water pump, Gates belt.
          Gates belt for certain and make sure you use the pink VAG coolant G13+ now from memory. Flush the system and refill rather than mixing.
          91 Modded 3B

Comment

Many thanks everyone. Which are the recommended and best suppliers for SFK water pump, Chefs bottom pulley and Gates belt or others please?

Comment

Hello and a warm

Comment

If you want parts from SKF, buy direct, you won't get Chinese copies then!

https://vehicleaftermarket.skf.com/u...&phits=10&l=en
                sigpic
                1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                  Welcome to the forum. If you are doing the cambelt, I would replace the water pump, idler pulley and the crank pulley as the OE item is known to fail. This may have been replaced in the past with an aftermarket item, so check before purchasing. The cam pulley is rather fragile too, so watch you hold it still if removing. I would also do the cam oil seal and oil pump/crank oil seal if I had it all in bits. Rocker cover gasket set while you're at it. You will need a big 3/4" torque wrench to tighten the crank bolt and a locking tool for the front pulley/vibration damper. Send some pics of the car when you get it. It's likely to have appeared on the forum at some stage and previous owners may be able to supply some history, etc.
                  Many thanks Steve, reg of car is J928TKX if anyone has any history etc. Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyhoss View Post
                    Many thanks everyone. Which are the recommended and best suppliers for SFK water pump, Chefs bottom pulley and Gates belt or others please?
                    https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...ck#post2112642
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Comment

Welcome. As above you are going to need tools for the timing belt job, a locking tool and either a 3/4 torque wrench that does 450NM or 1/2" torque wrench that does 200nm and a 3/4 breaker bar for 180deg further turn. I've just done the job and had to loan a tool as they are not easy to come by. Depends On how far down the rabbit hole on what you want to do on the car, but with 200K+ on the clock I would be looking at replacing all the bushes if they are not already done. Have a look at Tractor Dave's or myself project thread it will give you an idea of what you are in for! Hope you have deep pockets

Comment

welcome matey and don't forget we all like pictures
                          ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                          THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Hello!! welcome!

Comment

That sounds like a nice find! Welcome

Comment

Working...
                              X