Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New S2 owner wannabe

Hi all
    Looking to buy my first S2 Avant (first Audi) when I return to the UK in early August.
    Previously owned 1600 mk1 Cortina, a few 2.8i Capris, v8 Rangie and a few other less notable cars. Keen biker too.
    Will be looking for any help/advice as I am new to this sort of motoring (turbo, awd, super fast etc), hence I joined this site.
    Was considering a diesel A4 avant but am a little bored with plodding around due to having the Rangie, plus need room for dogs.
    UrS6 - Homefry, Bailey DV, PiperX filter, Samco hoses, H&R springs, 3" D/P back zorst, 270bhp and 260ftlb :rock:

Triumph Daytona 955i - mmmmmm :fire:

80 dag dag :driving:

Hiya

The S2 avant is a very good all rounder as its quick, handles well and has room for 5 adults and the dogs!

There is a good buyers guide here: http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articles/buyers.htm The avant will have the ABY engine btw so ignore the stuff about the 3b engine

Depending on your budget have you thought of the RS2 ? (£8k-)
    '95 ABY Avant - Sold
    '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Comment

If your going to buy a car that will also be able to carry you to your final resting place this is as good a hurse as your going to get

If your going avant, which sounds best from your requirements and you have the cash then the RS2 has got to bet on your list!!

Comment

I wish an RS was in my budget! The S2 seems to fit what I want as I would like something with a bit of poke. I know I'm going to get some stick for this but I am also considering either a Volvo V7 T5 or the Skoda Octavia VRS. I'm sure a few of you could help out and convince me that an S2 is the perfect car for me as they are cheap to run, never go wrong have cheap insurance and cheap road tax, plus I'm sure that you can find a cheap, mint S2 Avant on every forecourt!
        UrS6 - Homefry, Bailey DV, PiperX filter, Samco hoses, H&R springs, 3" D/P back zorst, 270bhp and 260ftlb :rock:

Comment

ha ha if only!

My S2 averages around 25mpg so thats 250 miles to £52 for your info, mind you thats probably what the T5 would do too!

The V70 and the Octy are both good cars having driven both briefly, but what i found is that the power is unusable in the wet on both cars due to being FWD but more so the Volvo.
          The V70 i drove seemed to spin up in the wet much easier than in the dry with the traction control on

Obviously the best thing to do is have a drive in each preferably in the wet aswell!
          '95 ABY Avant - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_D View Post
            Hiya

The S2 avant is a very good all rounder as its quick, handles well and has room for 5 adults and the dogs!
            Not in my avant, 5 of us went to Ultimate dubs in mine, most of us were average build, 5'9" etc, and a couple were a bit stockier, but there was no way they were sitting comfortably in the back

I was actually quite suprised that you could only carry 4 adults comfortably. You would get three kids in the back but not adults.

But dont let this put you off, afterall how often do people carry 5 adults in their cars???

Comment

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/196009.htm

i'm sure you would get this a lot cheaper than what they are asking

Comment

Looks nice, quite interested, pity it is black though (heard they always look dirty). Surely it should be around £4k?

Comment

A good finish + wax and the black looks gorgeous. just look for a clean pic of jamo's car.. looks great with the RS2 front grill too, consider that a first mod

Just clean it more often, and keep a good wax coat so it cleans quick/easy... I'm sure Fat Audi (Steve) will bore you to tears in the detailing forum should such things intrigue you.

Cheers
                  Ross
                  AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                    I'm sure Fat Audi (Steve) will bore you to tears in the detailing forum should such things intrigue you.

Comment

Re. the fuel consumption of the car on average; has anyone here owned an Omega 3.0 or 3.2 and if so how does the Omegas MPG compare to the S2s?

Comment

If you are thinking about an S2 in any flavour and you are worrying about fuel consumption then it might not be the car for you. These cars will return reassonable mpg on a light footed longer run but to be honest more often than not you'll be playing with it

Buy it for the build, stealth looks, 5 cylinder thrum, ability to embarass most of the modern cars x times the value of the S2 and tuning potential and you'll be dead chuffed. If you are concerned about running costs, fuel consumption or bling, its probably not the car for you
                        Cheers
                        David
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Maybe this one??

This is a very nice car

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/143051.htm

Comment

That does look like a cracking good car, that one is definately out of my budget though.
                            I'm not too concerned about running costs as I have a motorbike for commuting etc.
                            I was just trying to gauge the fuel usage compared to another car. My Rangie does about 17-20mpg average so fuel consumption is not a problem.
                            All of the "Q car" reasons is why I fancy an S2 aswell as build quality, the four ring kudos, and practicality of an estate.
                            Re. running costs, fuel won't be a big deal, insurance is quite cheap (what companies do you guys use, I'm 29 btw), how much is road tax now?

What do people think of this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/190030.htm?

Comment

Originally posted by Animal Mother View Post
                              Re. running costs, fuel won't be a big deal, insurance is quite cheap (what companies do you guys use, I'm 29 btw), how much is road tax now?
                              I use Tesco but i've heard Elephant is good, Tax is £99 for 6 months i think its £195 for a year

What do people think of this http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/190030.htm?
                              Its a forum car:
                              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22762
                              '95 ABY Avant - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X