No announcement yet.

New S2 Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright lads, thanks for the welcome. Its friendly here init and I like that.

OBD-2x2 adaptor found on Ebay & ordered it was only a £5 bargain, I have a pukka version of VCDS so im hoping this will work nicely.

Can anyone shed any light on the coolant temps? Is that getting a tad hot or is this common to see with a duff sensor? I'm hoping vag com will help diagnose the fault.
    2000 B5 A4 Quattro Sport ~ 2.0 20V GT30R ~ Gone
    1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
    1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone

Comment

Originally posted by Twenny Benson View Post
      Thanks for the welcome mouse.

I will try unplugging the various sensors to see it resolves the warning but would this not just maintain the warning if its unplugged? The header tank is most definetly full I checked that before setting off home with it. The temp on the dash was also reading higher than I would expect about 95-100, this seems a little high or is this right, it also might be pointing to a dodgy sensor or something a little more sinister, I will look into this a bit closer as you've suggested.
      In this instance if a faulty level sender or mfts is unplugged the warning light goes out and you know what to investigate/replace. I had a similiar issue with dodgy temp indications and warning light, turned out to be the mfts and corroded wiring in the back of the mfts plug.

Ahh OK so my vag com cable wont work on this car, I will look to see if i can find the right one, I think I know where its located now. Thanks guys.
      You can get an adapter on ebay I think

The wheels are 16" 7.5J, am i right to assume there 5x112? Are these wheels desirable as I'm not keen on them.
      S2 is 5x112, dunno, not seen borbet cs on an s2 before
      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
        In this instance if a faulty level sender or mfts is unplugged the warning light goes out and you know what to investigate/replace. I had a similiar issue with dodgy temp indications and warning light, turned out to be the mfts and corroded wiring in the back of the mfts plug.

S2 is 5x112, dunno, not seen borbet cs on an s2 before
        Well that makes it easy then, I will try unplugging the sensors tomorrow and see what happens, I've just looked on Eurocarparts at the prices of coolant sensors, there is two listed one @£15 and the other at £52! I bet its the dearer one I need! Oh well here we go again!

Thanks for the help thus far

I will get some more pictures up tomorrow if I get home before its dark!
        1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
        1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone

Comment

Welcome along, the mfts will be the £52 one if not more. The original ones were a 4 pin item. The dealer replacements are 3 pin now. No need to do anything with the connector, just plug it on. That's if you end up replacing it.

As above corrosion of the wires entering the connector is a common enough problem too.

Enjoy!!
          Shane

Comment

where bouts in lanc's are you?

in manchester have a garage at the end of the m67 near ashton under lyne if you ever need a ramp or vag com facilities

regards
            will

Comment

Morning Chaps.

@ S2 WOT Any ideas what the difference is between the 3&4 pin MFTS? I will have a look at the wiring tonight & also see if unplugging the sensors helps to identify the problem.

@ The King, I live in St Annes a stones throw from Blackpool, but I work in Samlesbury near Blackburn, the offer of a ramp is very kind and im sure I will take you up on that sometime in the future . I built the B5 on my driveway on axle stands! Never again, doubt my back will survive another drive way build. I'm currently looking for a decent size work space to rent so I can merrily work away on my cars, I also fabricate a few bits here & there for others so space is always a premium, my single garage is rammed.
              1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
              1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone

Comment

congratulations on the S2.
                btw, seems like your instrument cluster is in the same state as mind. and that my KM-age is no longer telling the right KM...
                2002 A3 8L
                2005 TT 3.2 Quattro
                2007 A4 Avant B7 (hers)
                2009 100 C4
                2009 A6 Avant (hers)
                2010 RS2
                2010 S2 Saloon
                2011 KTM SuperDuke 990 Olive Green

Comment

Loads of MFTS info here

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...g/cooling.html

Or stick mfts into the search.
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by bad8008 View Post
                    congratulations on the S2.
                    btw, seems like your instrument cluster is in the same state as mind. and that my KM-age is no longer telling the right KM...
                    Cheers matey, yeah the cluster is a bit of mess. But from what I gather its common. Its high on my list of things to do, I think you can buy new sets from K24 on here. At least I hope he has some left. I've been looking into changing the LCD display as well if there still available, anyone have a part number for this?
                    1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
                    1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                      Loads of MFTS info here

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...g/cooling.html

Or stick mfts into the search.

Magic! Thats exactly what I needed cheers
                      1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
                      1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone