Hi all from Plymouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all from Plymouth

Hey there guys I'm Jay (Jamie) and I own a 92' 80 2.8 Quattro and as above....I'm in plymouth I've been floating around here for a while and love what people have done to their cars and how passionate people are about their pride and joys. I've have been an Audi nut for years and just can't get enough of them. My current 80 quattro is undergoing a top end rebuild after a bad oil leak from both head gaskets. I have been pondering doing the S2 replica thing but can never make my mind up and as such...for now...am just reparing the current engine...plus the loss of my joint workshop didn't help on the decision between engine swap or repair.

Well thats me and my motor and I apologise in advance for all the daft questions I will post in the future...my first one being in about 2 mins.

Here's a couple of pics of my pride and joy

Welcome to the forum!
    Im just up the road from you in Totnes..
    I recognize the place where the photos are taken, is it just up the road from pounds gate?
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
      Welcome to the forum!
      Im just up the road from you in Totnes..
      I recognize the place where the photos are taken, is it just up the road from pounds gate?
      Hey there, I'm at totnes quite often....my joint workshop is/was there plus family etc. Photos were taken near Sheeps Tor-ish about a yr ago now....it's actually about 5mins drive behind my village

Comment

Nice buddy! Clean example there!

Comment

nice motor surprised i aint seen you about !!

Comment

Originally posted by als2 View Post
            Nice buddy! Clean example there!
            Well thankyou very much....but closer up there are many imperfections but will address them when I can decide where I am doing with it

Comment

Originally posted by andyg plym View Post
              nice motor surprised i aint seen you about !!
              Where abouts in plymouth are you, I just on the edge of plymouth on dartmoor overlooking plymouth.

Comment

near plympton.

Comment

@krimson - greetings... nice red V6Q - I have one - a dead one as well

I have two bits of advice...

1 - be sure to carefully replace / renew all the timing belt tensioner, pulleys etc when rebuilding it - mine suffered a premature death because a previous owner scrimped on that when renewing the belt - he saved 50 quid... and it will cost me ~750 quid to rebuild properly to my standard - hence it still sat forlorn with engine out and nose in the air until I scrape enough funds together.

2 - keep it as a nice V6Q - they are a rare enough beast... no need to make it an S2 sedan replica - that sort of thing is best done to a much untidier donor in my opinion
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                    @krimson - greetings... nice red V6Q - I have one - a dead one as well

I have two bits of advice...

1 - be sure to carefully replace / renew all the timing belt tensioner, pulleys etc when rebuilding it - mine suffered a premature death because a previous owner scrimped on that when renewing the belt - he saved 50 quid... and it will cost me ~750 quid to rebuild properly to my standard - hence it still sat forlorn with engine out and nose in the air until I scrape enough funds together.

2 - keep it as a nice V6Q - they are a rare enough beast... no need to make it an S2 sedan replica - that sort of thing is best done to a much untidier donor in my opinion

Hello bud, and thankyou for the warm welcome!

That is some decent advice and as such will be doing the job properly.

List of items purchased so far are:

Cambelt KIT (with tensioner and idle roller)
                    Serpentine belt
                    water Pump
                    Head Gasket SET (erling)
                    Head bolts
                    Thermostat
                    Air filter
                    Oil filter
                    Spark Plugs
                    Ht leads
                    fuel filter
                    New Genuine Steering Damper
                    Top Mounts
                    errrrrrrrrr plus other various bolts, gaskets etc, etc...Oh and the crank and cam locking tools.

IT's Madness but worth it! Oh and yes your right to keep it as is, is probally the right idea as you don't often see these around and these V6's aren't half bad....when there working
                    Last edited by KRIMZONQUATTRO; 24 February 2011, 00:20.

Comment

Nice car & scenery, welcome along
                      Shane

Comment

Originally posted by andyg plym View Post
                        near plympton.
                        I could probally see you from my lounge window

Comment

Originally posted by s2_wot View Post
                          Nice car & scenery, welcome along

Comment

Also - check if the Erling gasket set comes with the O-rings for the water pipes that attach to the block... They didn't when I did a V6 TDi recently so it wouldn't hurt to source them separately just in case.

Finally - with the heads off its quick and easy to remove cover for the upper oil galleries and make sure everything is clean in there - a new gasket should be with the head set - but maybe not.

Hope you took lots of photos for the narrow tubes to the variable inlet manifold & evap plumbing - mine looked totally orrible and somebody else had bodged a bit of it too.
                            Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

One last thing - you should renew the camshaft oil seals as well and cam cover gaskets... I dunno if they come with Elring sets
                              Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                              X