Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7A engine swapper refugee

Hi
    Since all the 5-pot knowledge seems to be here, I've signed up cap-in-hand!
    I recently bought a 7A to "perk up" my 2.6 litre 100kw/200Nm South-African built Microbus here in the UK, which i thought would benefit from another camshaft and more valves!

which left the factory with this in the back:

The engine is a bit of a VW/Audi hybrid as you can see, 2555cc and 10:1 comp plus it's been lpg'd, but my 20v donor engine has no petrol system at all, it was on lpg only...plus I need to find the correct PAS brackets for the 7A or adapt mine as the pump is a 75 bar unit.
    Anyway, the Bosch-of-SA Motronic has let me down again (starts but won't rev above 1500rpm before cutting out. I think that the TCI inside the ecu is getting twitchy. Everything swapped for new OEM parts but the problem came back. Grrr!) so it's for the bin and it's time to go Megasquirt sequential with maps for both fuels.
    Has anyone got any direct experience of going MS and is there anyone fitting in the NW Surrey area?
    I have read up about the Hitachi-to-Bosch injector conversion, but that's about the sum of things so far...

I should have a 7a pas brackets from a 7a coupe I broke recently.

Comment

what bore/stroke is the 10v engine? You might be able to make a hybrid of the two
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

That's the plan. Transplant the head, manifolds and front end, new downpipe (damn! the Longlife twin-pipe is nearly new and I made the s/s flange!) and go looking for 200 ponies.
        I have a bit to learn about these engines, so it may end up being a rotating assembly swap and fresh pistons into the 7A block but it just mot'd at 1.8% CO and 180 ppm HC so can't be that unhealthy.
        I can't remember the exact engine dimensions, will have to check but I think they have a unique rod.
        Last edited by 95 Microbus; 4 January 2012, 15:39.

Comment

I have been told that there was someone else on here who did a similar conversion to his bus a while back but I can't find it for want of trying! Anyone else remember a project thread or pics?
          I've only heard of one in VW circles and it was a red one that got stolen soon after completion, I think the owner was a SA ex-pat?

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ight=aylesbury

Comment

Thanks for that. Need to keep in touch with the other "don't quite fit in either VW or Audi camps" bus drivers!

FYI: the SA 2.6i engine is designated "ADY", 82.5 bore x 92.8 stroke. The model is generally known as a "big window SA or T3ZA" bus in VW circles and I understand from contacts out there that the engine is getting pretty rare, they were never that common and very expensive when new(what else is new, it's VAG) and they still command a hefty premium.

The front-drive T4 was never made or exported to SA afaik as Hanover pulled the plug in 2003, and then Toyota took over the minibus market out there.

Comment

there are front engine with 2,5 petrol( 110hp) 10v.... in early verson 92-96 but they does have the 95,5 cranck from the 2,4 diesel( 5 pot)
                the 2,6 with the 92,8 cranc are really rare... the mostly of the 20v convert will fit from the other family engines... dont know the height of the block 220 vs 236..
                the rearend engine t3 have a really weak tranny; its some isue with a bearing in the inletshaft..

Comment

I know I'm one of the lucky few to have one of these in the UK! I was just trying to clear up any misunderstanding regarding these engines, as I've read a bit of mis-information about T3/T4 and the 5-cylinder petrol engines fitted to each. A T3ZA is not a T4!
                  I've never measured the height of the 2.6 ADY but will do as the info may be of some use to other engine builders.
                  We've got a good transmission man at club80-90 (Aidan Talbot) and he would guarantee a 5-speed for 300Nm, well for me anyway (I've got an Opcon-supercharged 2.1 flat 4 waiting to get built too!) The 094 transaxle has an appetite for the mainshaft/pinion bearing, hi-po TDi's have more trouble generally. Early 5-speeds can strip their 4th or 5th with big engines and lead right feet...

Comment

Working...
                  X