Audi S2 3B back on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi S2 3B back on the road

Well thought i would put together alttle thread to cover the start of my new project

First Coupe i have ever owned so really going to enjoy building it up

Well picked her up on Tuesday

Needing a good bit of work done to get her back to scratch

Problems as they are now head noise very loud clattering and basicilly running like crap..paint work is pinkish and interior needs good clean

Have been lucky in the previous owner has thrown some money at it

It has :
    280 remap
    full samco hosing
    RS2 Airbox
    Decatted S/S system
    New head gasket and belts
    Polybushes and Anti roll bar new bushes

Today dealt with the engine

Stripped off cams and lifters

Replace the lifters and gave everything a good clean down

When taking apart came across a few issues...Timing was out by 2 teeth on the belt
    Hall sender wiring was shot

Replaced this with a new plug and wired it back to the loom

Vacuum hose to the Dump valve was screwed to replaced that and the oil breather hose that goes to the cam cover was perished fixed this to
    93 S2 Avant Parting
    91 URQ RR
    02 A4 tdi Avant

After this was done i rebulit the cams and timed it up

I had to play about with the dizzy to make sure it was spot on ..check this out 3B owners a spanner on the dizzy bolt!!

Finished putting together and started her up on the first turn and she is running smooth as !!...I had a dance to myself after this

She is needing MOT so that will be the next thing on the list ..this will be brake overall were i will put on the monster 4's
    Going to fit ABY IC and cross member tomorrow and give her a good clean ..more pic's to follow
    Last edited by Knight Rider S4; 13 June 2008, 00:27.
    93 S2 Avant Parting
    91 URQ RR
    02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Looking good did yours have the anti-tamper thing on that bolt for the dizzy?

Did you check if it has the metal gear or not?

Comment

Metal gear T.F ...anti-tamper was gone so made it that bit easier
        93 S2 Avant Parting
        91 URQ RR
        02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Good to see an s2 going back on the road
          S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Well had a look over her last night and took her for a spin down a country lane ....She is fast !!

Some more things added to the list Rear diff mounts sound like they are knocking as when i move forward i get this knocking from the rear..or prop mount ?

The main beam stay's on, keys out of the ignition and all..but the rear are off?..Thinking some to do with switch here

HAd a go at the paint work but will need to get the paint guru's to help me on this one ..Tried some T-cut to see if it would take the pink away but did not work at all....HAve had a look to see what i need but lots of thoughts out there ...was thinking about a paint cleaner ?..then try and see if it can be buffed up ..If anyone has links for stuff to do this it would be appreciated..going to invest in a PC so need to know what pads i need to

At work now but will load more pics later of progress
            93 S2 Avant Parting
            91 URQ RR
            02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Knight Rider S4 View Post
              HAd a go at the paint work but will need to get the paint guru's to help me on this one ..Tried some T-cut to see if it would take the pink away but did not work at all....HAve had a look to see what i need but lots of thoughts out there ...was thinking about a paint cleaner ?..then try and see if it can be buffed up ..If anyone has links for stuff to do this it would be appreciated..going to invest in a PC so need to know what pads i need to
              Good call - a PC will sort that paint right out. Be prepared for a hard days work though
              S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Well found some G3 tonight so thought i would see if it would make a difference to the paint work

Few more pics of the paint and how bad it is

HAve my hands full with the Sunroof...last fix for the leak i presume was to fill with sealer and shut it let it set and never use it again :x

On a very good note Mike(audibits)Is bringing up a bonnet .2 wings, sunroof and diff mounts on Sunday all the same colour as the car
                93 S2 Avant Parting
                91 URQ RR
                02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Is that the same colour as in pink?

Looking good there, didnt look that bad in the first pics but can see youve got your work cut out for you, by the looks of it should come up nice though
                  Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Well got a good bit done today

First problem was the fusebox getting changed over ...problems it was causing lights staying on battery drain and burning up..

So changed it over as you can see quite a few wires to remember

Was changing the bonnet so had that out the road and took off the plastic trim beside the wipers

leaving me this

2 clips at the side and she pops up

had another relay/fuse plate so had enough room just to swap over in situ

installed just putting in new fuses

As you can see water has got in to the fusebox and caused this..remeber people dont stick the cover on properly this is what will happen after heavy rain

After doing this i had to change the VR as the lights were pulsing when the engine was on (basicilly not regulation via VR was charging at 16v)

As you can see the VR is rusted up to

So busy day as i changed swing arm on the Avant to and finished off dm80 motor(timing belt and samco hosing)

93 S2 Avant Parting
                    91 URQ RR
                    02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

So busy day as i changed swing arm on the Avant to and finished off dm80 motor(timing belt and samco hosing)

Nice work
                      Been busy mesel today refitting recored rads to the aby and working on the 3b.

The joys of having two s2s
                      You do timing belts?!?!? mmmmmm

cheers

Comment

Yeah do timing belts..PM me
                        93 S2 Avant Parting
                        91 URQ RR
                        02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Nice to see someone else up to their oxsters in car issues Great to see a seemingly tired looking old 3B get to a good home for refurbishment rather than be raped and pilaged for spares. Good man.
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Well a quick update on my Coupe

HAve been spending time on and off so slow progress(allot of work commitments)

So I have decided that Hi Spec(monster 4 caliper people are totally numbtys)have sent me wrong bolts twice and the carrier they sent for the calipers is out by 10mm so not happy

Have changed over the wheels today and the headlights are on

Paintwork is needing machine polished still but need to get the car legal so i can drive it

Had to clean up all the wiring at the back ..bulb holders needed a real good clean and the terminals were all crusted up

Car is ready for MOT so fingers crossed she pass's

Little helper
                            93 S2 Avant Parting
                            91 URQ RR
                            02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Well she passed her MOT with a few items needing looked at (bottom ball joint ,headlight aim to low,ABS light on and number plate light bulb gone )all easy fixes so biggest hurdle over now just to get on with the finishing touches

A nice pic along side the Avant
                              Last edited by Knight Rider S4; 29 July 2008, 19:35.
                              93 S2 Avant Parting
                              91 URQ RR
                              02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X