Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A90 2.3q 10v to 3b conversion

And so it begins.

Tomorrow (my birthday) Is day one of pulling out my Dash and heater in order to start installing the 3B loom. By next tuesday I hope it will all be running again, but with a little more power. I am still using my current gearbox, but have a ported polished head, lightened flywheel, paddle clutch, 7A exhaust cam. All going in. If anyone has any tips if they have done this before especially the wiring, any advice will be welcome. Then as soon as I get my hubs I have some new big reds, to install some 17" new A4 5 spoke wheels. Finally a trip to longlife for my exhaust. I'm pretty excited but generally quite nervous. Still have no idea where my bank balance went!

Wish me luck

P.S. I know this thread has no real purpose but sometimes its just nice to speak

Good luck with the project, keep us posted on your progress
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Still waiting for the Coupe S2 to clear, will let you know when, the hubs are yours.
      Never show a fool a half built house.
      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
      The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

Cheers guys, definatly the sooner the better with the hubs. Thanks. Day one went well I thought, I have wired in the internal section of my loom, with only 2 "now what do these wires do" left at the end, that said I wont really know anything until the new engine goes in which might even start tomorrow. The old engine is all but out. I found it interesting (as sad as I am) that the coupes have the aux gauges as a part of the engine loom yet the 90Q seems to have it on a seperate loom, I can only guess that is because it was an option on the 90 rather than standard as with the coupe.

Also quick question ~Delta, On the vacuum servo will I have trouble placing some of the engine loom plug brackets? not that its too much fuss either way

Comment

Won't be a problem Alex.

Comment

Time for day two, A very long day. Engine out, old engine wiring out completly. Feed the new loom in (like threading rope through a needle thats under a battery tray) Only a little bit of loom adaptions had to be made and I had to add a sensor to my P.S. bottle. Swapping over the fuel lines was a little more tricky. Why didnt I use a 20V 90 to start with?!?The power steering rack had to come out, and placing the feed pipe over the prop, exhaust and handbrake cables required a nack I didnt have. With a bit of luck it might run tomorrow,

Comment

I did mine with the rack in place, with the under bonnet part stainless steel braided.

Comment

ive just swapped the kv in my coupe quattro to a 7a 20v. not that difficult was suprised how easy the wiring was. just seemed to plug in. how much extra work is it to fit a 3b then. may be considering this next year.

Comment

Although everything appears quite easy, I am afraid I cant answer that question just yet. Day 3 has been a disaster thanks to Grant at Grant motorsport, who has failed to locate a clutch which he promised a week ago. To add insult to injury, this morning he informed me that I would not be able to collect my Head and flywheel until Monday afternoon. He fed me a complete Bulls**t story. It seems to me that it still hasnt been done 6 weeks after I gave it to him. I originally had no intention of naming him but these "delays" which are always out of his control have happened every single time I have ever done business with him, and he is supposed to be a friend of mine. I have manged to divert my anger from hitting him into polishing every engine part I can lay my hands on. Still I am not a happy bunny!

Thankyou for taking the time to read this rant

Tomorrow has become a day off.

Comment

Day 4, Another day of cleaning this and that, I have been promised my head and flywheel by noon tomorrow, on the good side eveything has been cleaned and polished and is now ready. I hope tomorrow will the day she runs, or at least the day I get to find out. I am planning on installing the engine and box with the head on and exhaust side built up. However this has caused debate at my garage as someone with a lot of S2 engine rebuilding experiance thinks I should but the head on in situe? Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by CHEN
                      Day 4, Another day of cleaning this and that, I have been promised my head and flywheel by noon tomorrow, on the good side eveything has been cleaned and polished and is now ready. I hope tomorrow will the day she runs, or at least the day I get to find out. I am planning on installing the engine and box with the head on and exhaust side built up. However this has caused debate at my garage as someone with a lot of S2 engine rebuilding experiance thinks I should but the head on in situe? Any thoughts?
                      Good Work Chen
                      I have seen several tuners or DIY engine builders build up high hp engines out of the car before dropping it in complete with head....

Not sure re exhaust manifold but personally I cannot see a problem with that on either??

Keep us posted!

Comment

You know my views on Grant after my dealings with him, to put it politely, he's utterly useless.

Are you doing all this up at All Audi?

I don't see that it makes any difference how you put the engine in but it would be lighter and easier to work on without the head. Just my 2p.

Good luck with Grantley... you'll need it!
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I installed my S2 engine from underneath, with the box, cylinder head and manifold. Unless you haven't got access to a hoist, (you must have at All Audi) I can't see the weight being a problem.

Exhaust manifold is trickier / fiddly to install with engine in situ...

Comment

I know when my engine was rebuilt it went in without the EM, and it was a pain in the **** to put on after. It was only because we were missing a few head studs. So I can only assume that if we'd had all the parts, it would have gone in built up. And Tom is a dog's ****** engine builder, so I'd think it was OK practice

What spec you going for at longlife btw? I have 3" Dp-back and am very happy.

Keep the updates, that's what the "project forum" is here for!

Cheers
                            Ross
                            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Day 5,
                              DIE GRANT DIE!!!!!! Still NO head flywheel and clutch! Almost out of holiday I am so effed off right now!

In answer to your questions, Yes I am doing this at All Audi, I am pretty sure its all going in as one massive lump now if it ever get done. I probably will have a 3" all the way back, if I ever get to that stage.

On another note whilst mindlessly cleaning parts today it took me ages to get a good flow on the oil cooler there was some really gunky oil in there, probably just because it has been stood around for a while, but worth noting I thought.

A word of advice to everyone always have all the bits on hand before you start, you cant trust anyone

Comment

Working...
                              X