Strongest gearbox for 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strongest gearbox for 3B

My gearbox is beginning to whine again. Conclusion.... the 5 speed box is crap and weak. What box is best to convert too?? What will I need to change over. Can i retain my rear diff?
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Originally posted by audiman
    My gearbox is beginning to whine again. Conclusion.... the 5 speed box is crap and weak. What box is best to convert too?? What will I need to change over. Can i retain my rear diff?

your end ratio is 4.111...you can use the s4-s6/6speed maybe CRB or Rs2 CGR....or the s4/5speed CET..but you need change the s4 CET rear diff inner parts in your s2 diff house....
    Karel

:deviltail Hungarian Audi Hooligan :deviltail

Comment

The strongest box (by far?) is the urq box but the ratios are not ideal and you'd have to change the diff, topspeed would be reduced. Next in line would be the RS2 box with the strengthened first gear.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Is there no way of using the internals from the 2.5 tdi box? Wouldn't they be stronger than the S2 boxes?
        'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

6 speed is not an option, this requires a different subframe and gear linkage. Is it the 016 gearbox that can be used with different mounts?
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Tom, Allaudi have a 94 S4 Avant in for breaking and the engine and gearbox are ok it seems...just fyi.

David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

6 speed is not an option, this requires a different subframe and gear linkage. Is it the 016 gearbox that can be used with different mounts?

I thought Albert had put a 6 speeder in and the subframe was the same? It had elongated holes or something. Check his posts.

David

Comment

other prob with 6 speeder is tha**** not really much stronger than the 5 speed. Bear in mind mine is producing a bit more than an RS2!!
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

The RS4 box fits apparently. Might need a bit of work but they have got to be stronger than the CGR 6 speeder. Lot of guys happily running over 500bhp in RS4s. They drive them very hard on 265+ rubber. Go on Tom, be the first to do it from us lot!!
                  1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                  Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Mmmmmm food for thought, maybe i will have a go at changing the bearing twice a year!!
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

You meed a lot of tools, I kow, but how much is a set? Someone might want to buy them and rent them out to fellow Forum members. Rent it out 10 times and they could be paid for!! I'd hire them!!!

Designun Limited....

Comment

Those 'Gearchange' guys you used - can they not strengthen the cogs you have, or is that not the problem? Haven't you got loads of other spare broken gearboxes lying about (behind the tractor, for example, or in the barn?). I was hoping the Gearbox people could somehow 'fix' my 1st gear when my clutch needs sorting out. Is it not as simple as that?
                        'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Er, its not that simple, this isnt a lego car mate. The cogs are not the problem. Its the hardness of the input shaft bearing. It takes ALL the load under accel. and the bearing isnt strong enough. Changing the clutch and mending the gearbox is a bit of a different job. To change the bearing in mine the complete box has to be stripped down as its right at the front
                          sigpic
                          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                          Audi UR Quattro
                          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

The problem is the helical gears. When you put lots of torque through a heical geared 'box, the gears try to force themselves apart causing increased enloadings through the gear shafts. This increased end load gives the bearings a hard time. An alternative bearing may be one option but this could necessitate some machining of the housing. Bearings also benefit from materials processes. They are cheap but are not cost effective on production cars where it is not so necessary. I recently attended a tribology course and conference in Spain with work. There lots of interesting developents out there in increasing the load capabilities of bearings through bearing treatments. The options are endless and a solution, if possible, would require some development.

Designun Limited....

Comment

Sort me out a bearing then Lee, super strong!! Original no. is FAG 563466AB
                              sigpic
                              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                              Audi UR Quattro
                              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                              X