Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY not boosting properly.

Arrrggghh!!!

Took the S2 out today for the first time in weeks, expecting to be barraged by waves of boost. Instead I had pretty much ****** all.

The boost gauge reading shows...

Boost fine up to 0.2 bar, and then struggles to reach 0.5 bar, after that I seem to get either a misfire or a boost cut, hard for me to tell which, but it wont rev any more than around 4500rpm nor will it boost.

Under boost, it doesn't sound the same as it used to. It used to be a whistle that turned to a whoosh, followed by a "chirrup" when lifting off the throttle.

Now, its just a huge whooshing noise followed by a "sneezing" noise when I lift off.

When I was putting all my pipework back together I was unsure about which way round my dump valve went, have I possibly put it on the wrong way round? If so, is it now completely banjaxed and I need a new one?

Also, I've had a look and all my hoses are still on firm, I thought I might have popped a boost hose off but that doesn't seem the case.

Thanks again,

Mark
    '93 Brilliant Blue Audi S2 Avant - Broken again.
    '98 Tahiti Blue Rover 216SE Coupe
    '96 Arktiksilber Metallic BMW 525td (E34)
    '01 Dark Green Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1LTD
    '97 Polar White Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Di LS
    '96 Alpine White Peugeot 306 XLDt

have a look at the hoses you mentioned and obviously the dump valve, I'd suspect the wgfv, if you've got or can get somebody with vagcom to test the wgfv and read any other codes would be a good start...

Comment

if the car has been stationary for quite some time,it could be that all this is fuel related.Fuel being at the bottom at the tank and particles from the tank may be stirred up and block the fuel filter or something or the injectors even.I would try one of those injector cleaners as well just to be sure and also check the codes to see if anything is coming up.

wrongly orientated dump valve wont cause boost judder etc.
      Bad MAF,and lamdba will,as well as a major boost leak

Comment

The WGFV is about 9 months old.
        The RS2 MAF is about 7 months old.
        Lambda sensor is about 5-6 months old.

They dont fail that often do they? My WGFV had failed when I bought the car, and symptoms were different, I'm pretty sure it isn't that.

Is it possible for one of the hoses to be tight but still leak huge amounts of boost?!

Mark

Comment

most likely.if all others are so young,they should be ok

Comment

I'll redo the joints I can get to, I struggled to get 2 of them on, so maybe they're aren't quite right.

Mark

Comment

give the fuel a bit of a treatment.it might just be that

Comment

Just tried it again after putting some fuel treatment through it. Still no difference. And now it thinks one of the doors is still open so the alarm wont set and the interior lights stay on.

I think I've just about had enough of this car

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Heat Seeking Missile View Post
                  ...Under boost, it doesn't sound the same as it used to. It used to be a whistle that turned to a whoosh, followed by a "chirrup" when lifting off the throttle.

Now, its just a huge whooshing noise followed by a "sneezing" noise when I lift off.

When I was putting all my pipework back together I was unsure about which way round my dump valve went, have I possibly put it on the wrong way round? If so, is it now completely banjaxed and I need a new one?
                  Mark: The link below is for the AAN but it will show you how the BPV is supposed to be oriented. The "sneezing" thing is a clue that you don't have it oriented properly OR a hose connection isn't tight enough. The BPV will be fine.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/150046.phtml
                  RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                    Mark: The link below is for the AAN but it will show you how the BPV is supposed to be oriented. The "sneezing" thing is a clue that you don't have it oriented properly OR a hose connection isn't tight enough. The BPV will be fine.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/150046.phtml
                    Sorry you're having problems Mark, have you fitted the MarkH mod?
                    could be you upset the intercooler when fitting the pipes?
                    When I switched to Samco's all was ok for about a month before I lost some boost but not that much!
                    I've currently lent my vagcom lead out, but can retrieve it if you like? you're more than welcome to bring the sick girl round and we'll interrogate the ecu?
                    Is it possible you've damaged some pins on the ecu? you did have a bit of a struggle with it didn't you?
                    sigpic

Comment

I fitted the MarkH mod before I took the car off the road and didn't any problems with it, while it was running standard boost.

I did have a bit of a struggle with the ECU plug, I hope I haven't ballsed any of them.

It would be much appreciated if you could get your lead back, I've been looking on eBay for one of my own and some software to stick onto my missus' laptop. Saves bothering you all the time!

I'm on Mon/Tues/Wed nights, Fri/Sat/Sun days this week coming. When is a good time for you?

Mark

Comment

Also I forgot to add. I've just been out and turned the BPV round the other way and it made no difference at all.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Heat Seeking Missile View Post
                          I fitted the MarkH mod before I took the car off the road and didn't any problems with it, while it was running standard boost.

I did have a bit of a struggle with the ECU plug, I hope I haven't ballsed any of them.

It would be much appreciated if you could get your lead back, I've been looking on eBay for one of my own and some software to stick onto my missus' laptop. Saves bothering you all the time!

I'm on Mon/Tues/Wed nights, Fri/Sat/Sun days this week coming. When is a good time for you?

Mark
                          I'll let you know mate (I still have your mob number) - i need to retrieve the lead first....
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes ok mate, thank you very much.

Mark

Comment

Pull the MAF connector off and on a few times and try again

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X