Here is a quiz about a small part in a Audi 5-cyl engine :

1: What's this?
    2: What can make it look like it does?
    3: What happen when it looks like that?

Cheers
    Roger

1) This is the roof radio aerial socket
    2) a grinder with a thin disc fitted
    3) Pretty crap radio reception I'd guess??

:-)
    sorry... couldn't resist! WTF is it?
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

1. Broken.
      2. Age, abuse, vandalism, enjoyment, ...
      3. You reach for the credit card or cheque book.

Ck.
      Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

It could be a piston pin?

but it has a copper insert inside it - so don't know!

Looks like it has melted as well - melted piston

And it took the small end off the rod?
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I've had my whole engine in bits and I don't recognise that part
          Mind, I doubt it looked like that when it was originally fitted
          Is it threaded at one end?
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ
            Here is a quiz about a small part in a Audi 5-cyl engine :

Cheers
            Roger
            1: It's a valve guide?
            2: dropping a valve?
            3: new piston time?

It may be something to do with a cylinder head?

Grasping at straws!

David

Comment

Quiz answer !

Not many people know of this little fellow

Q:

A:
              1. It's a one-way valve that sits in the oil gallery between the main gallery and the head. It has two functions: 1. To restrict / meter the amount of oil that gets to the head. 2. It keeps the oil in the head after the engine has shut down. By doing so the lifters will not drain and doesn't "tick" when the engine fires again. If you have an engine that ticks at startup this valve could be the reason.

2. I'm using a custom main stud kit, and the studs where 1-2mm too long. One of the studs hit the valve and broke it like you see in the picture.

3. This blocked the oil too the head and damaged the head and cams when the engine was fired. Normally you should have seen the lack of pressure because the org. oil pressure gauge and warning system would have shown 0 because they get the pressure after the valve, but I used a mechanical oil gauge that got pressure from the turbo oil feed, and that's before the valve

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

One to keep an eye on alright. Good info !
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Where is it exactly, so I can check it?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                    Where is it exactly, so I can check it?
                    If is located behind one of the two oilpressure switches. If you remove the switch you will see a thread adapter. Remove this and use a flashlight into the canal and you can see the valve. The valve is threaded and you have to use a torx? (12 "tacs") key to take it out. The valve is ~25mm long and ~10mm in diameter.

It's an inexpensive part and should be changed if you take the engine apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ
                      If is located behind one of the two oilpressure switches. If you remove the switch you will see a thread adapter. Remove this and use a flashlight into the canal and you can see the valve. The valve is threaded and you have to use a torx? (12 "tacs") key to take it out. The valve is ~25mm long and ~10mm in diameter.

It's an inexpensive part and should be changed if you take the engine apart.
                      A very good info. The same is relevant to V6 engines where this tiny gizmo can cause oil underpressure if worn out. Engines prior to 94 have a less durable valve than later ones.
                      Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Great info - people had said there must be a return valve somewhere but after I took my head and bblock off I never noticed one and never thought our car had one - I don't even think the engine manual shows this - I'll change it anyway.

Cheers

Comment

VERY good info, thank you fo sharing this, just a REAL shame you had to find out this way...
                          Martyn
                          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

So it broke, essentially coz you modded the head?

Then you couldn't see it coming because you fitted and alternative gauge

And now every one want's a new one

Erm, I think we might have operator trouble - I don't like to be rude on one of my very few posts but it seemed pretty obvious to me

Comment

Originally posted by fin
                              So it broke, essentially coz you modded the head?

Then you couldn't see it coming because you fitted and alternative gauge

And now every one want's a new one

Erm, I think we might have operator trouble - I don't like to be rude on one of my very few posts but it seemed pretty obvious to me

It broke because I made my self a main bearing girdle with custom main bearing studs that was 1-2mm too long. One of the studs will hit the valve if the stud is too long

I had trouble with the org gauge/sender unit before starting up. The needle where all over the place when I tried to start, and because of this I fitted a temporary mechanical one just to be safe.

What was obvious to You It was impossible to see that this valve was broken and my mechanical gauge showed 5bar oil pressure. How could it be obvious that there was something wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X