Project: 4000CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: 4000CS

The background for this project: I was looking for a second car just drive to the work everday but it had to a 4 wheel drive, so that I could put the rs2 in the garage and upgrade it. After a few months last summer I found this 4000cs with all gadgets including air condition, and rust protected so the car had allmost no rust which is really rare here in Finland. The price was quit high for my bugdet at the moment but after 2 weeks I called the dealer I set a pointment. I took a small test drive just to see that everything was in order. 10min after test drive I was the new lucky owner. When I was driving home the car shaking really much above 80km/h but that didn't bother me but the bang in rear at shifting made me a little scared. Well home I started to check the car and found about that all bushes and propshaft bearing were broken. A few month went by I considered that it would be better to keep the rs2 stock and do something nice to the 4000cs.

3 months has gone, all rear parts has been sandblasted (except diff) and painted at the rear and I made all new bushes for POM material. New brakelines,pads,discs, balljoint and so on. I also ordered a SPAX VSX suspension kit from silverstonetuning, very good service.

I don't have a picture of the car but when the front end is done I will take some. More pics to follow.
    Attached Files

I apologise if I've missed something here, but whats a 4000CS?

Mark
    '93 Brilliant Blue Audi S2 Avant - Broken again.
    '98 Tahiti Blue Rover 216SE Coupe
    '96 Arktiksilber Metallic BMW 525td (E34)
    '01 Dark Green Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1LTD
    '97 Polar White Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Di LS
    '96 Alpine White Peugeot 306 XLDt

Comment

nice project, type 85 cars rock

edit: @HSM an Audi 4000 is an USA version of the Audi 90 type 85, quattro in this case

Comment

Ahh, just looked on Google images now, I'd never heard of them being called a 4000 before.

Mark
        '93 Brilliant Blue Audi S2 Avant - Broken again.
        '98 Tahiti Blue Rover 216SE Coupe
        '96 Arktiksilber Metallic BMW 525td (E34)
        '01 Dark Green Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1LTD
        '97 Polar White Vauxhall Vectra 2.0Di LS
        '96 Alpine White Peugeot 306 XLDt

Comment

Did take the front struts of yesterday. I wonder how it past the MOT last year because the brake shields are almost gone.
          Attached Files

Comment

are the brake shields neccesary in your country then?

Comment

katsastus can be very picky... my ur80quattro failed once on high HC in the exhaust *), for a 1983 car!
              and my old 80LS I had 20 years ago failed due to a 1cm rusthole in the fender **)
              don't think the dutch APK is how they test everywhere....

@ur-s4315: where in Finland do you live? my ur80q is in Inari...

*) when it was new back then they didn't test for it... I ended up installing a kat to get it back on the road again...
              **) fixed this with a band-aid and spray paint

Comment

You either need "perfect" brake shields, or none at all. If those are knackered, you will not get MOT.
                All quattro products have been dermatologically tested, and are safe for daily use.

Comment

A little update to this project. Front subframe and all other parts are sandblasted and painted. Did get the MOT yesterday, no problem.

Now when I have driven the car a few miles I would skip the solid bush from the diff because it starts to vibrate a little at 60km/h. Other diff mounts and gearbox mounts are stiffer ones from 034.
                  Attached Files

Comment

And this is a 3b engine from a 220 20V that I bought last autumn. Engine is first oversize and JE pistons was ordered with CR 8.5. Rods from aronmatic and lower part is fully balanced. 650cc injectors are also bought. Camshaft are going to be standard.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The project was not on top priority last year due to another daughter was born and some other intrests but the last two months the old engine is out and the new one without head is in. Front brakes are going to be S2 front calipers with A4 discs, hope they will do the job.
                      Repo provided me with a clutch.
                      Needle bearing was different so it had to be changed, Thicker shaft on typ85 gearbox.
                      Track density mounts for gearbox and engine from 034.
                      Attached Files

Comment

nice car, and nice upgrade... keep on!!!!!!

Comment

S2 calipers with A4 discs are fitted. Had to borrow a cylinder head when mine is in the machine shop so that I could do all the small work with the intercooler and other stuff around, that takes a lot of time.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Car is now running. To get its full potential it needs a bigger injectors and a remap. Engine bay needs tidy up but that isn't so important at the moment. The 3" exhaust was done with two silencers and the sound is great. Turbo support is still missing but it will be made.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I also used the original steering pump, just needed to lengthen the adjustment bracket. Also the generator bracket was taken from the 4000cs.

Comment

Working...
                              X