catch tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catch tanks

just a quick question, have searched on the subject of "catch tanks" & although many have said they have fitted them i cant see how/where to connect one inbetween as got given one a little while ago and never fitted it.

has anyone done a diagram etc

regards, ian
    S2 Coupe, ruby red, 95 - Slight mods
    A4 Tdi avant, many greens, 97 - Workhorse

i dont have a diagram but i can tell you that the easiest way is to put a tank between the tubes that go from the block to the maf.that way nothing really will be going back to the turbo/maf except fumes.So everything will be clean. My tank collects most of the stuff now

Comment

thanks for the help, my catch tank only has 2 pipes, one input one output & a drain plug on the bottom but most of the ones ive seen on the threads have 3 pipes & a drain pipe, does this matter much?

Comment

thats exactly how mine is. it is the simplest type. Basically one pipe goes to the inlet of the tank from the sump, (brings gunk and fumes), then the outlet of the tank goes where the previous tube use to go, up in the rocker cover through to the maf tube. That way everything is clean, only the fumes go to the MAF.
        Sure the system is not 100% clean,but much better than OEM.

venting to atmsphere was not the way to go for me. Unless you get rid of all of the PCV system,in which case,it does work.But it is too much for me

Comment

ah i see, ive just been studying your pics on your thread & i sorta get the idea but only difference is i wanna keep my recirc valve in the stock location & want to put the catch tank on the right side of the engine where the battery would be in a 3b....

i think it will just be best to go & do it and learn on the way lol

Comment

little tubing here and a few bends there,should do the job!

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
              Basically one pipe goes to the inlet of the tank from the sump
              Sump or the breather on the side of the block?

Chef

Comment

Chef

Comment

About catch tanks.... i saw a little time ago an thread where i found some nice diagrams about diferent tipes off tanks... but i lost the name and i cant find anymore.
                  Maibe somebody knows and gives us the link... please!
                  Thanks!
                  Eugen

Comment

agreed, I saw one on a thread ages ago, was a really good diagram, but... I can't find it anywhere on any of the threads.

Comment

I fitted mine on a stock engine and it does absolutely nothing TBH, mainly collects water
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

http://www.saikoumichi.com/

saikoumichi catch can breakdown

here is my design..... and here it is in function. keep in mind i am going to be running this motor a lot harder than most people do theirs.... there were a couple changes to the design, as well. there is no SS wool inside it. there is a baffle plate with drip tray. fumes are directed downward, and have to work around a baffle to escape. there is 1 x -12AN from the block Tee'd into the -12 AN off the valve cover, and 3 x -10AN extra off the valve cover.

i run a Moroso on my other drag car, and it has yet to get any oil saturation on the filter. it does release fumes on hard acceleration, that is noticeable.

Comment

Water and mayo in mine

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

You need to go from pre-PCV line to inlet and then either outlet to atmosphere and block inlet pipe or return to inlet (as I've done to prevent smelly fumes). Don't return to sump to begin with so that you get an idea what's happening in the breather, mine hardly dumps anything in. Block the EVAP inlet undereneath the IM and leave the valve (N80?) plugged in. Easy life but pretty pointless on a stock car IME.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                              X