any one removed the ABS from there track cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any one removed the ABS from there track cars

as above dont know if worth keeping or not????????????????

my 90 doesnt have it on and iv drove 90s with it on and i didnt like it but thats just me

Comment

you have to be careful as the brake balance is controlled in the ABS module itself on ABYs IIRC - if you remove it you'll need to fit a bias valve.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
        you have to be careful as the brake balance is controlled in the ABS module itself on ABYs IIRC - if you remove it you'll need to fit a bias valve.
        Thats not so bad on a track car may come in handy having a bias valve.

Comment

has any one on here done this ???????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            The ABY has a separate bias valve, the same as the others.
            But a track toy would have an adjustable bias anyway.

Just get on and bin the ABS. It should be straight forward enough. Just a few pipes to reroute.
            SS

Comment

If its a pure track car I'd bin it. You'd need to switch it off anyway, you don't want it driving you into the armco if you spin. You need the wheels to lock when you tell them to.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                If its a pure track car I'd bin it. You'd need to switch it off anyway, you don't want it driving you into the armco if you spin. You need the wheels to lock when you tell them to.
                You can't switch the ABS off on an ABY. I am sure I seen someone fitting the switch to an ABY though, if it is not a dedicated track car that may be worth looking at.
                1990 Cq20v GTi Engineering RE2400
                1992 16v 80 quattro
                2004 A3

Comment

i took the ABS off the drag car.... and also the booster/bomb as well. Master Cylinder only, with Wilwood Proportioning valve for the rears...

the OEM prop/bias valve is right below the MC, at least here in America. it is a separate deal, not internal with the ABS. the ABS only does the front brakes here in USA, also.

Comment

Originally posted by trackslag View Post
                    as above dont know if worth keeping or not????????????????
                    Why do you want to remove it

Comment

In what situations do you want to lock the wheels?
                      In my experience it's when people lock up the wheels they meet the armco and not the other way around.

Comment

If you're on the grass and spinning you want to lock the wheels till it comes round, last thing you want is for it to steer off in some random direction, we saw an RS4? do that at CC last year. ABS is for emergency braking in traffic in the rain when you're thinking about something else IMHO.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Audi_CQ View Post
                          In what situations do you want to lock the wheels?
                          In my experience it's when people lock up the wheels they meet the armco and not the other way around.

+1!

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

If you're on the grass and spinning you want to lock the wheels till it comes round, last thing you want is for it to steer off in some random direction, we saw an RS4? do that at CC last year. ABS is for emergency braking in traffic in the rain when you're thinking about something else IMHO.
                            But what if you're on the grass because you don't have ABS?

If you are on the grass spinning and hit the brakes you will continue to spin even with ABS. If you want to be 100% sure just press the clutch and use the handbrake.

You may think that ABS and ESP is for people that can't drive, but you're wrong IMHO

Comment

ESP is outright dangerous - I forgot to turn it off when driving my GF's RX8 on track and the ESP decided mid corner that it didn't like what was happening so started braking random wheels - result... I went straight on and missed a tyre wall by 5 feet while travelling at about 50mph

ESP takes control away from the driver which is truely scary when it happens.
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X