RS2: Windscreen Leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2: Windscreen Leak?

I have water coming down the inside of both the internal A pillar trims, down the back of the dash by the door hinges and pooling in the footwell on both sides. Started over the winter in the heavy frosts and lying snow. Guessing the frost has damaged some seals but can't see what. Had been dry for a couple of weeks but today after being parked facing north for 4 days with the northerly wind, lying snow & rain I had water in the footwells again. Beginning to think there is a leak round the top of the windscreen.

The rubber windscreen surround isn't very firm at the top of the screen so I'm thinking it might be being driven in their when the wind and rain are coming from a particular direction.

Question is, would you expect the windscreen trim to be tight to the bodywork?

I have checked the sunroof drains and they are fine.

Thoughts?
    Paul
    __________________________________________________ ______

RS2 Ragusa Green and a Sunbeam Lotus for the summer weekends.

mine leaked through a poorly fitted windscreen seal too.
    The seal was 1 or 2mm from the bodywork so I would have thought it should be a flush fit
    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like u have the same issue as me. I think I'm just going to get a new screen and rubber fitted. My seal atm seems ok but I am guessing that it's the seal so going to try replacement route first. I find parking on an incline with the car facing up hill helps to stop it leaking in while stationary but when you start to move it all goes to pot! Good luck and let me know if you discover it's a different fault as I could end up chasing this for a while!

Comment

I had a leak in my S2 avant. Tended to run down the passenger side into the footwell.

It turned out to be the drip tray that sits under the rear seal of the sunroof. When the sunroof slides back into the roof, the drip tray became detached and stayed back there when the roof was closed. It can let quite a lot of water in if it's not positioned correctly.

Alistair

Comment

Alistair how can I check this and if it's wrong how do I fix it? Mime could be that instead?!!?

Comment

If you tilt the roof, you should see the black plastic bar which runs from the tilted roof to the drip tray. This pulls the tray forwards as the roof is tilted. There is one each side.
            If you look backwards, the drip tray will be sat under the edge of the sunroof cutout. It's black plastic and runs the width of the roof.
            It's designed to divert the water coming in at the back of the roof to the sides wher it can run down into the drain holes.

Hope that helps. Haven't got the camera with me or I would post a photo.

Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by paulsf View Post
              The rubber windscreen surround isn't very firm at the top of the screen so I'm thinking it might be being driven in their when the wind and rain are coming from a particular direction.

Question is, would you expect the windscreen trim to be tight to the bodywork?
              I've just had my screen changed - got a new genuine Audi screen covered by insurance. Was just £50 Very pleased with the result as my old screen was starting to de-laminate in the lower corners, plus several stone chips.

The fitters explained that the rubber trim we see is not what holds the screen into place or gives it its seal or weatherproofing. It's there for largely cosmetic reasons. The glass is bonded in place underneath this rubber seal and this gives it strength and water weather seal.
              RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

RS2 Windscreen Leak

My screen needs to be replaced as it is very pitted but like you I would prefer to only pay the £50 excess. Going to need a big stone to hit it soon, just hope when such a thing happens it only hits the screen and not the bonnet or top of the roof!
                Paul

Comment

Out of interest, has anyone tried to use a windscreen sealant product over the original sealant to cure a leak ?

Comment

Well.........

new windscreen is in and the leak is as bad!!

No problems in the sunroof department either, drip tray still attached.

Could the front drain tubes be split after the frosts last year? Water still runs through them but I wonder if there might be seepage. How do I remove the A-pillar trims to check?
                    Paul

Comment

what you may need to check is if the sunroof drain pipes that go to the sides of the door hinges are open or blocked. To do this you need to poor some water from the side of the sunroof and see if it is pooling on the top.If it is, then it needs to be unblocked.

Comment

I take that back............

The drip tray is not attached but won't for all the effort I can muster come forward when I hook it with a 2 foot fiece of angle metal. Looks like it is jammed back there.

So, any canny ideas as to how to get a hold of it and pull it forward?
                        Paul

Comment

Any further news on this, I've just been out to have a look and I can't see a drip tray when I tilt the roof up anyone got a pic of it?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Mmmmmmmm........

I would have a photo if I could get the damn thing pulled forward!!
                            Paul

Comment

see my pics in the other recent thread!

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=47518&page=2

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X