shift detent stiffener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift detent stiffener

made a side-to-side shift detent mod.... this should help for quick shifting such as drag racing.

so i lopped the top off. and drilled it out. and threaded it for 1/2" NPT.

i am making mine tunable, by using a 1/2" x 3/8" bushing, then a 3/8" plug with two nuts for now to add resistance. sometime this week i will find a longer stronger spring. and after tryin it, i made it stiffer just by loading the stock spring more.

took all of 10 minutes to figure out. there is a spring, a cap, and a needle bearing inside.

its a 27mm, BTW.

and then i tried to make one from a 5spd 01E and it didnt work. they are just a tiny bit different.

and then i did some playing, and its MUCH stiffer.

i put a longer bolt in it, then threaded on 3 nuts. the head of the SHCS goes inside the plug. i will find a solid plug later, like an allen one. this one is a square head one and its hollow inside. i even have to pre-load it to get it to start the plug in.

remember i am just dinkin here with stuff layin around thats easy to play with.

and this one here, its MUCH firmer like i said.....

here is the 5-6 gear lockout plate, i wont use those two gears....

here is a video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh8X4QeeOgo

Interesting!

Comment

Nice idea, have you given it a try on the road yet?
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

car is drag race only, trailered to the track. it cant drive on the roads.....

it is a copy of this piece;

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...f31c9f4bb9460c

Comment

Never trust a man wearing socks with sandals - LOL - sorry but it had to be said...

Interesting drag mod alright - not seen that one before.
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

hey hey now..... the socks and sandals thing....

thats to do with my boy. we dont go barefoot in the garage as thats where i fab. tired if digging metal slivers from his feet. and my 4 yr old son caught me at the door and said "no shoeies cant go Dad" and he made me put on the sandals. but i already had socks on, and didnt have shoes right there.... LOL he had brought me the sandals and made me wear them.

Comment

I'm guessing this mod wont work very well if you plan on using 5th and 6th.

Just for drag racing? 4 gears flat out :mischeif:
              The ONLY S2 Golf!
              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402
              10.42@138mph
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnkkOfFpXg

Comment

Originally posted by gnutz2 View Post
                Well, he has done two separate mods...The described mod only helps with the return to center. The plate on the right, however, is what is keeping him from 5/6.

So THIS mod will work fine even with 5/6 use.

Comment

Originally posted by gnutz2 View Post

Just for drag racing? 4 gears flat out :mischeif:
                  see below, but this detent thing will work for a 5 and/or a 6 speed. the plate was just for my own lockout on those gears. i do not use them. its more for when i preload the shifter to the right before shifting into 3rd gear. i have something to slide along, and not accidentally hit 5th gear.

i have even run 3rd gear out to 9200 rpm for 10.7 @ 138.....

Originally posted by cab9fab View Post
                  Well, he has done two separate mods...The described mod only helps with the return to center. The plate on the right, however, is what is keeping him from 5/6.

So THIS mod will work fine even with 5/6 use.
                  yup, you got it. its two mods, and the people i made the vid for asked about the plate as well, thus why i mentioned it.

but it really does bring the shifter back to center much more firmly and quick.

Comment

Do I understand correctly, that the spring thingy is on the gearbox?

Comment

updated setup, with location of detent on gearbox.

Originally posted by speeding-g60
                      so, here is yet another one....

side to side detent firming up. help snap back that shift lever to center. and this is a revision on the first one i did, there is no need for how i did it initially. a plug is just fine for overall, and no spring is replaced. just cut, drill, tap, done.

it starts with an aluminum bodied detent from the 01E. doesnt work with the steel bodied one for the 5spd, i tried.

you cut the top of it off....

pull the spring out.

drill the hole out to get the plunger out. notice the plastic caged needle bearing inside. i went and watered it down right after cutting, its hot and i didnt want to melt that thing.

tap it for 1/2" NPT.

finished product.

and you guys saw how it works in the video already, but here it is again. ignore the 5-6 lockout plate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh8X4QeeOgo

Comment

Originally posted by speeding-g60 View Post
                        i have even run 3rd gear out to 9200 rpm for 10.7 @ 138.....
                        Keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by speeding-g60 View Post
                          i have even run 3rd gear out to 9200 rpm for 10.7 @ 138......
                          Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                          Keep up the good work
                          please lets not forget its a lowly >600 AWHP 4-pot

but thank you

Comment

Interesting gearbox mount you have!!!
                            Can you make a picure with subframe also...where that goes???
                            Please!
                            Thank You!
                            Regards!
                            Eugen

Comment

haha... that is just something that was left on the trans when it was given to me. someone elses trials

it looks to be usable with the proper mods to the subframe though. i do not know how they did it.

Comment

Working...
                              X