Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another leaky Coupe, sunroof problems

Hi guys, long time lurker and this is my first proper post on here

I'm in the process of replacing my headlining in my B3 Coupe Q20v so its bare metal inside now, and I have (surprise surprise) discovered it leaks from the sunroof surround. I dismantled the sunroof today and examined it and discovered I only had one drainage tube on the drivers side and some gacky sealant used to plug up the passenger side by a dumb previous owner.

Seems the water is getting in through the cable feed tubes used to open and close the sunroof, I guess this may be a common thing?

As a result when it rains it fills up with water and has started to munch its way through the passenger side sunroof jamb and i've got a nice layer of surface rust there.

Where can I buy the plastic tubes for the sunroof? what is the part number?

What can I use to seal the tube at the top end?

Also what would be best to treat the rust in an area like this? Would hammerite do? or something more substantial? bearing in mind its going to be a wet area...

Also in my haste to solve the leaky problem I removed the sunroof motor and one of the small switches used to open and close fell to pieces in the process, and my clumsy attempt at fixing it only made things worse. Can I get a replacement part? or is a whole new motor needed? Pics to follow:

Now wishing I could just weld the bloody thing shut

Any recommendations welcome

Rob

is it just a normal button switch to open the sunroof or a dial? if its the normal switch sort I should have a motor spare, you going adi?

and has that section rusted on the car or the sunroof cartridge? looks like the actual car, hammerite ain't the best for doing stuff like this as water can get underneath it and rust from the inside.

Comment

Its a switch operated sunroof, will be interested in a spare if you have a working one.

My idea was to sand down the area to get rid of the rust and use something decent to repel water after, but no idea what to use to be honest

Comment

i'm nearly 100% sure i've got one, you going adi?

and could use halfrauds paints with some decent laquer to do it, prime, spray, laquer and that should sort it.

Comment

Yeah and then waxoil it after.
          The sunroof I just fitted to my coupe had sealant around the cable tubes where someone had stopped a leak before. I had a glass sunroof before which rotted out..)
          The plastic tubes for the drains are just a tight push fit onto the metal pipes. I also have some spare parts I think..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Cheers for the quick help guys, pms sent. Will try and tackle the rust this weekend when I have time

btw.. what does adi stand for?

Comment

http://www.bilthamber.com/ these people know how to make rust go away. If necessary send them photos.

ADI is Audi Driver International, it's on next weekend. The guys above are possibly going and might be able to meet you there with some parts I guess.

Welcome to the forum.
              Shane

Comment

I'd take the whole sunroof mechanism out (easy now the headlining is out) as there's bound to be rust you can't see

Wire brush the rust off, then use Bilt Hamber Deox Gel to etch back to bare metal. Then use POR15 to paint over the rust, onc thats dry you can rub down and top coat with your colour of choice.

Front drain tube is: 4A9 877 233.
                The grommet in the door shut at the bottom is 4D0 877 242 B
                Rear drain tube is: 895 877 233 A

Yuo should be able to put the micro-switch back togerther as long as you've not lost any bits of it, the casing is pretty weak so they tend to open. I had this on mine, put it back together and glued the casing
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Gawd I am dreading even looking at this on mine - been lashing all night and drivers seat will be soaked now for sure.

Can someone post pics to help with disassembly and actually where the water creeps in - is it a crack in the housing near the drain tube(s) or what ?

Fuggit - the sun is coming out and its lunchtime - maybe I'll risk a recce here myself and some quick pics to start the ball rolling.
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Well that was a productive lunch... I will post photos in a while but I can now see where its getting in - seems to a thin opening in the housing/seal that lives above the drivers side drain tube. The drain tube itself is perfect - I can squirt water down there and it comes out where it should. But when water comes from above that point then it finds a way to bypass the drain tube.

Assuming I can get the wind deflector unclipped it should give just enough access for some sealant in this area to prevent water ingress - or at least slow it down considerably.
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Error404: Yeah I basically removed the motor, looked at the switch and it disintegrated before my eyes without me even touching it. my clumsy effort to put it back together damaged the small sping inside the switch and its a goner now, I can post the motor to anyone if they need a spare and think they can salvage it.

Didn't know there was a rear drainage tube for the sunroof? i'll investigate it further.

Thanks for the part numbers, POR15 and the bilt stuff, i'll have a looksie. Good job on your Coupe by the way, looking awesome.

S2Central: Don't know if this was the same place as where you mentioned, but the majority of water was coming into mine was along the cable feed tubes for the sunroof cables, there was a small gap along the metal runners near where the cable enters the tube and it was dripping down onto my roof lining ******ing it.

What kind of sealant would you use for this? POR15 or something a bit more ordinary like silicone?

I'll try and take a pic this weekend if it ever stops F***ing raining here

Roberto

Comment

What colour headlining was in the car? i'm currently messing with headlinings and got a few laying around in various colours, there is 4 drainage tubes from what I saw today.

One other thing to check is the aerial base, mine was not done up properly so leaking down onto the headlining.

Comment

never use silicon its gash. Use some 3m polyurethane seam sealer, or windscreen mastic
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            never use silicon its gash. Use some 3m polyurethane seam sealer, or windscreen mastic
                            lol tiger seal, never get it out again tho

Comment

My aerial housing was chipped on one corner funnily enough, bought a cheapo replacement from halfrauds which seems to keep the water out.

My headlining is/was stone grey. I got some grey headlining and mount spray from here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-Headlining-...40446653844845

Comment

Working...
                              X