No announcement yet.

Another leaky Coupe, sunroof problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headliner is out already, so I think it's just a couple of bolts to get the rest down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rs2-GTi View Post
      Headliner is out already, so I think it's just a couple of bolts to get the rest down.
      Easy then, about 8 or 10 bolts and the whole thing drops down into the car, easier with a friend to help hold the weight but I've done it on my own before with some sticks to prop it up while you undo the last couple of bolts..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Update on this one! The drip tray seems to be as it should as far as I can see?

And here you can see how the water is getting into the car

I've seen it ending up following the outside of the draining tubes, and by the rust pattern, and the fact that I once saw a few drops of water coming out where the hose for the wire meets metal, it seems it must be coming from the wires and simply following the inside of the roofing. (and relax, it's mostly rust powder, nothing to be alarmed by)

SO! Nothing should be failing in the drip tray the way I see it. So I am searching for alternatives before I take down the mechanism. Not because I am lazy, but you can't really water the sunroof once it's out to get any answers.

Got two theories. Number one:

Can this be the reason? The gasket is not sitting very well, and it has a gap. Could this cause too much water to flow in so that the draining tray gets flooded and spills water into the mechanism?

Number two:

This is the wire covers pried up a bit. There seems to have been sealant there at one time, and what's there now does not seem to be very convincing. It's hard to say for sure when the sunroof is still in the car, but it looks like the edge keeping the water inside the drained areas only is a few MM's high. Could the problem be that the water is building up somehow and going over the edge - maybe because of the bad sealant?

I want some other point of views on this one, before I take the mechanism down and put sealant on all surfaces that could theoretical break a leak.

But to me it seems strange. The draining areas are big, the tubes are big. I don't really think you could build up water there even without the gasket. But then again, I used air to clean out the drain hoses after I last tested it. It seemed 100% open, but who knows. PS! Not done this on the rear onces yet, as they need to come off to do so, and they will come off if/when I take the mechanism down.

Comment

Yes, your drip tray is in place ok.

Are you sure the drains are not blocked? You can run a piece of electrical wire down the front drains to see if they are clear, or pour water, it will come out in the bottom of the A pillar and should flow easily. The rear ones come ut in the wheel arches, not so easy to check..

Maybe the seal is a problem but the 4 drains should deal with the water.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

How the hell do I remove the headliner on the sunroof itself? Looked in the hayens manual, and it said to remove some springs, but I could'nt see any springs. Instead in the rear of the sunroof the headliner is in some kind of runner. Please help, would suck to just use brut force and wind up ruining something.

Comment

Also for later reference - I have pulled down the entire sunroof mechanism. Just clipped of the drain tubes and 8-10 bolts. Drain tubes were fine, so the only thing that could be leaking is the sealant under the wire covers. Pried them a bit back, and there was some sealant there, but it look like some was gone missing over the years. Maybe from degreasing the car before washing?

Comment

RS2-GTi - Did you find out where the problem was? Having same issue as OP but not able to find any answer.. Even changed the whole sunroof mechanism without any luck. Gasket around sunroof looks a little old but seem to do the job and new sealant applied on wire covers, drain works fine.. Still get a shower when i start driving...

Comment

I have had a gap like that in the outer seal for 10+ years and never caused me a water leak -wind noise yes, but no water leak

Should get round to replacing it sometime

Comment

happykriss: Yes, and it only took me around 10 years to seal it

When it comes to the sunroof leaking here is what I did; I used a hose from the bottom of the car to the top while someone was watching inside, so that I could decide how high the leak was. But since the roof is nearly flat and the water goes everywhere, I had to concider everything from the top of the A-pillars to be one big leak.

I started by sealing under the wind deflector on the drivers side of the A pillar, minor improvement. I also changed the door seal, minor improvement. I changed the triangle at the front of the door seal, minor improvement. But then it seemed to be able to pin the rest down to the sunroof.

First I checked that the watertrays were in place. Then I removed the headlining, and removed the whole sunroof package and laid it on a table. I noticed that there were some trails of fresh water (could see that the dust was gone) from the watertrays and towards the "inner circle" of the sunroof (the whole when it's open). So I basicly removed the whole wire mechanism. You have to run the sunroof a bit back and forward to get to all the screws (do NOT use the electrical engine, it will destroy the mechanism before you can blink when it's not fully intalled). In the end you have to drill out some rivits (popper in Norwegian) to separate it completely. Apply sealant WITHOUT a gluing effect in the front and both sides. Put it back together. Use compressed air on the draining pipes to make sure they are not cluttered before you install it back.

When you get the mechanism on the table you might think you will never get it apart and back together, but just take your time, it only goes together in one way. And NEVER use the electrical engine when it's outside the car. I did. I spent one day fixing all the things that cracked, and making new "brushes" for the tilt etc. Also I replaced the sunroof seal while it was out. It's about 1000 NOK, but I had already changed the interior once because of the leaks, so I just did it. (but the water trays should be able to handle a good amount of water as long as the seal not completely torn up)

Did it fix everything? No off course not.

I kept the headline out of the car while using it afterwards (just jammed pillar overs on) and it would still leak. Just wanted to torch the car when I saw it dripping from the steel pipes that contains the wire between the motor and the rails. But the sunroof was actually sealed. I spent some time with a light inside the car and looking at every seal, and eventually found the big leak. Over the side windows / door there is a small rubber thingy that goes from the front to the back. Where it meets the a pillar it was a whole that was problaly not more than 1mm. But all the water hits that rubber thingy and follow it into the car. One little pearl of sealant and it was all sealed up!

I have also heard of others finding small ammounts of rust around the front window, so that was a constant leak. Also the firewall, people tend to wire for big steros and just throw away the plugs - and never but them back in once the stereo is removed. (if you got a couple, go to ebay and but a mics plug set for 200 nok included shipping, you will need it eventually).

Also I have changed the sealing around the bottlid lock, I changed the "hitler-gum" around the back lights. Mine had an crash in it's life and they did not notice that the steel around the lights did not touch the "gum". Also changed the bootlid gasket and adjusted the passenger side window. Also adjusted the lip containing the boodlid gasket to help it seal 100%.

And you know what? It's 100% sealed. Might be the only coupe in history. Hope this writeup helped you out. If you are on the low budget, try to eliminate the bootlid seal, door seals and the sunroof seal. Anything else is next to free.

Comment

Thanks Rs2-GTi and congrats on a dry coupe

Maybe i should try to change the sunroof gasket. It has been raining heavily the last few days, and i could actually see a small amount of water in the gasket. Like a black/darker spot in the gasket.

This morning, my view was this:

It's like this after a "Nose lower than rear" parking.

Do you have the part number for the gasket? I called our local dealer and apparently they could only deliver what seems to be for glass sunroof. In my mind they could not be similar.

Comment

Naturally it could be the gasket, if not, it wouldn't be there But the water trays on all sides are about 2 cm wide, and has a depth of maybe 0,5 cm, so the gasket must let a lot of water come in for it to be the problem. I should think it was the same gasket, but maybe not. Have you been at vagcat.com and browsed the part catalogues?

Maybe you should try a "volvo-gasket" ? It's that standard U-shaped gasket one always use if you f.ex. build something in aluminium and want to cover the sharp edge. Every car glass shop usually have it, and it's cheap. Maybe Biltema also .. ?

Let me ask you, where can you see the water coming into the car? Water leaks are hard to find, and often you can get fooled by where the water ends up. Water at the drivers feet can easily come from the boot lid ..

Comment

I think the glass gasket is put on from the side while steel is from under? Correct me if i'm wrong.
                          There were anyways two different partnumbers for these gasket depending on type of sunroof.

As you can see on my photo there are drops of water hanging from inside of the sunroof. When i start driving after a rainy night i get a niagra falls effect from the front of the sunroof, never from the back.
                          After a couple of days with rain there are hanging drops all over the sunroof.

Comment

Maybe i could use this? (Biltema)

Partnumber 60250 from Biltema

Comment

Don't know about the glass sunroof, but the steel one you press the gasket from the bottom to the top. So if it's different on the glass ones, it probably can't retain a steel gasket. And to me it looks like the Biltema gasket is to be used for the steel sunroof, if I understand you correctly.

To mee it sounds that you might have clogged the front drainage pipes, and the water collects in the front of the sunroof, and when you start to drive it comes in because of the water being pushed back? It is suppose to "leak" somewhat around the sunroof, but it is suppose to drain this water in the corners. It sounds to me like it's not being drained ... If there is an ordinary leak, you should have water coming into the car without moving it. I suspect you park it fairly flat, it fills up in the front to a certain level, and drains at the back because the water flowing there once it's filled up. But when you accelerate the water goes over the edge of the water trays and comes into the car. My best theory anyway

Comment

FYI, this is the glass sunroof seal (totally different to steel roof)
                                Untitled.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X